Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Group buy for laser cut/etched focusing screens, interested?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Group buy for laser cut/etched focusing screens, interested? Reply with quote

I recently discovered a local place that offers *very* cheap laser cutting, on the order of a couple of euros for simple cuts. So I got thinking about precisely cutting, and etching if one needs rule of thirds lines or grids, focusing screens. I asked them, and they can set up the cutter for a specific material if I give them a sample to use for a few test cuts.

So if there's any interest, we can set up a library of focusing screen sizes for various DSLRs, then have them cut very cheaply. The trick is to standardize on a single focusing screen to use as material, and given the wide availability, relatively low cost, and great features for mf use I was thinking about the Canon EE-S (or EG-S which is the same) screen.

Each screen would cost a couple of euros for cutting and etching (possibly less), plus the cost of the screen itself, plus postage (cheap as it's small and light). I won't charge anything for the time it takes me to go there, have them run the tests, ship the screens, etc.

But there are the initial setup costs to consider, 15€ + one screen (about 30€) that will probably end up in the trash (or maybe be be usable for a small size screen), so I will only do this if there's at least 4 or 5 people interested, to split setup costs. Let me know if it's something that interests you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count on me, Ludoo!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`d suggest you to have a contract with them that will forbid them to sell the product on their own.
Plus a NDA.
Otherwise in a few months you`ll see them for sale on ebay or other forums.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not interested in selling focusing screens Smile

Anyway, I don't have a DSLR anymore, and LP snatched the K100D advertised here yesterday, so I guess this will be on hold until I get a DSLR body again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ludoo"]They are not interested in selling focusing screens Smile

quote]

How would you know that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
How would you know that?

Because a) their business is cutting stuff for designers, and b) they don't do it for the money only but as part of a "makers' movement". Check Ponoko etc.

Oh, and c) despite what some on this forum think, mf lens users on DSLRs are a tiny market, not worth to manufacture for unless you are from a developing country and can profit from cheap labor and currency exchange rates.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludoo, you can count me in for a Canon Ee-S screen with grid.