Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Questions about Jupiter 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Questions about Jupiter 9 Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy one of these beauties sometime in the near future, but thought I'd ask a few questions to the experts first! Smile

I've noticed in some pictures that there appears to be some brownish stuff around the very edges of some lens elements, I'm not quite sure what this is, its not fungus, could it be the glue deteriorating? Would you stay away from a lens that had this "browning"? An ebay seller assures me it is normal and all older jupiter 9's have this, but of course he is trying to sell me the lens, so I take his information with a grain of salt.

Also, a more general question about oily aperture blades, does it really matter on manual aperture lenses if the blades can move freely anyway? I know its a problem for the ones that have automatic aperture because the spring that moves the blades is weak.

Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful which version of jupiter 9 you get, because they used the same name for different types of lenses, you have version for kiev rangefinder in kiev/contax mount, then m39 rangefinder version, m39 slr version and m42 version

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, yes I'm aware of the different versions Smile

By the way, does anyone have experience with top35mm.com? I'm thinking of maybe ordering a lens from them, but I can't find anything at all in terms of seller ratings etc...

edit:
Ok well I ended up ordering another one, an old SLR m39 version in chrome, with some oil on the aperture blades but otherwise perfect Smile
Just need to get me the m39-m42 adapter ring now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, M42 version, 1972 made.
My impression? It kills pentacon 135!
i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/sieucachua/DSC00369.jpg
i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/sieucachua/DSC00398.jpg
i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/sieucachua/DSC00392.jpg
I'm sorry, I cant post picture, I dont know why.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about Jupiter 9 Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:

I've noticed in some pictures that there appears to be some brownish stuff around the very edges of some lens elements, I'm not quite sure what this is, its not fungus, could it be the glue deteriorating? Would you stay away from a lens that had this "browning"? An ebay seller assures me it is normal and all older jupiter 9's have this, but of course he is trying to sell me the lens, so I take his information with a grain of salt.

What you describe looks like separation of cemented elements, and it's a bad thing.
So stay away from that lens.
And, no, it's not normal for old J9s - if the seller told you this, he said that in bad faith.
Stay away from that seller, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about Jupiter 9 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Sirrith wrote:

What you describe looks like separation of cemented elements, and it's a bad thing.
So stay away from that lens.
And, no, it's not normal for old J9s - if the seller told you this, he said that in bad faith.
Stay away from that seller, too.

Thanks Orio, I will defeinitely stay away from that seller in the future, I had a hunch it might be what you described.

Good thing I went for another lens and seller instead!