Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Had this lens a while and not used it before, seems pretty sharp, slightly lower contrast but that can be fixed in PP of course.

It has a nasty scratch on the rear element (see pic 3) but it obviously has no effect on IQ, looking at the results:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!

Theses lenses are often better than many native macro lenses for close ups and macros.
Examples of 150mm Rodagon can be found here: http://forum.mflenses.com/rodagon-150-5-6-enlarging-lens-t21285,highlight,%2Brodagon+%2B150.html
Maybe the scratch in the rear element affects the IQ more than you think.

As these lenses have a very big coverage a tight black hood should improve the contrast a lot anyway.

At which aperture was the near-infinity shot? I never tried my Rodagons on infinity but I know that other enlarger lenses very weak wide open at infinity.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything was wide open. It was pretty overcast, I have also experienced the same lower contrast issue with other enlarging lenses such as the Schneider Componon-S 5.6/100.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal, enlarging lenses are not coated (because there is no reason to).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This is normal, enlarging lenses are not coated (because there is no reason to).

Can anybody confirm that?
I think that's not true.
As far as I know many of them are coated. I think there are even multi-coated enlarger lenses (Fujinon EBC enlarger lenses for example?). It improves the contrast a little which is great for printing.

But I think the major reason for the low contrast with long enlarger lenses is next to the design not the missing coating but internal reflections in the bellows due the oversized coverage. A tight hood would eliminate this issue to a minimum.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 am; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots, Ian! Did you use a bellows or tubes? Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is uncoated I am pretty sure, as are all my Schneiders. I think my other Rodenstock might be coated though, I'll have to check it.

I do have a Russian Industar-11U that is coated though, same purple tint as all other Russian lenses.

I used a set of KMZ Russian M39 bellows.

I must have shot a dozen ELs and they were all lower contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Orio wrote:

I think that's not true.
As far as I know many of them are coated. I think there are even multi-coated enlarger lenses (Fujinon EBC enlarger lenses for example?). It improves the contrast a little which is great for printing.

But I think the major reason for the low contrast with long enlarger lenses is next to the design not the missing coating but internal reflections in the bellows due the oversized coverage. A tight hood would eliminate this issue to a minimum.

I believe most of the modern enlarging lenses are coated, but a much lesser number are multicoated. A common example would be an Apo Rodagon, older version is single coated, while the Apo Rodagon N is multicoated. The coating of enlarging lens could have started very early in its history, on hand is a Kodak Ektar enlarging lens 100mm f4.5 with a serial number of ES .... (1947), is coated. The coating is indicated by a circled L (luminized, in Kodak language) marking. It is interesting to see the barrels of many modern premium enlarging lenses are of plastic material, like Apo Rodagon and Leitz 40mm f2.8 Focotar , it is difficult to justify the prices being charged...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Orio wrote:

I think that's not true.

+1 Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me curious, so I checked my enlarging lenses.
Only a short inspection of the frontlenses.

Nikon El-Nikkor 75mm 4.0 goldlooking coating

Rodenstock Rodagon 105mm 5.6;
Rodenstock Ysaron 75mm 4.5;
Scbeider Componon 50mm 4.0;
Wollensak Raptar 127mm 4.5 and
Meopta Meopar 180mm 4.5 all blue/purple (may be single) coating.

So at least I don't have any uncoated one (this is all I have Smile )

Frontlenses are not recessed, so a hood will help for better contrast.