Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5 test shots - updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5 test shots - updates Reply with quote

The first roll with this cam is a color negative. I don't have any C41 at home so I send the film to a film shop about 10 km away by express delivery - it never reached there, lost on the way Crying or Very sad Then I made some very stupid mistakes when developing the 2nd, it turned out to be total blank Embarassed

Here are some from the 3rd roll...

This one has an unexposed edge. Two frames out of this roll have this problem. Does this mean there is something wrong with the shutter?

Last edited by x.z. on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to set the scanner at gray scale so this one looks brownish. It's easy to PP but this is the one as is. There seem to be some light leak on the lower left corner Rolling Eyes

Last edited by x.z. on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a backlit shot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more. All were taken in a shipyard. I have no idea why there is an old broken plane lying there Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5 test shots Reply with quote

x.z. wrote:
This one has an unexposed edge. Two frames out of this roll have this problem. Does this mean there is something wrong with the shutter?

Can you check if the upper-lower -curtain seam or joint or whatever one calls it falls into the same spot every time and with different shutter settings. If there are differences on the vertical up-down position, this could well create the unexposed band.

Nice pics!

edit:
here is some standard cla info
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-62.html
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-95.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5 test shots Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
x.z. wrote:

Can you check if the upper-lower -curtain seam or joint or whatever one calls it falls into the same spot every time and with different shutter settings. If there are differences on the vertical up-down position, this could well create the unexposed band.

Nice pics!

edit:
here is some standard cla info
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-62.html
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-95.html

I'll have a check, thank you very much.

These hand drawing instructions are REALLY amazing!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more shots with this camera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same dark edge issue never happens again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhe, i know youre having some issues with the camera, but the color pictures look stunningly sharp for a 60 year old lens, much sharper than my similarly aged summarit. what are your thoughts on the lens's sharpness? are these pictures with a stopped down aperture? btw, congrats on the nice kit.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
zhe, i know youre having some issues with the camera, but the color pictures look stunningly sharp for a 60 year old lens, much sharper than my similarly aged summarit. what are your thoughts on the lens's sharpness? are these pictures with a stopped down aperture? btw, congrats on the nice kit.
tony

I had both Tony, Summarit is not on same level. I kept Sonnar + I bought two others Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it seems that is so attila. i just need a sonnar copy in m39 mount to use on my bessa because i dont want another film canera system....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
tony

The 1st color picture should be F8 or F11. The 2nd should be F2.8 or F4, those pipes were not in the sunlight.
I'm quite satisfied with this lens. It's sharper than what I've expected.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
yeah, it seems that is so attila. i just need a sonnar copy in m39 mount to use on my bessa because i dont want another film canera system....

May not exists or super rare I saw only in contax mount, buy a Jupiter-8 redp all copy what I did try was equal with Sonnar for fragmentation of costs. If need help to find let me know, pretty common here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much attila! i will look out for that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
rbelyell wrote:

May not exists or super rare I saw only in contax mount, buy a Jupiter-8 redp all copy what I did try was equal with Sonnar for fragmentation of costs. If need help to find let me know, pretty common here.

Attila, have you tried J12 on your IIa? Does it fit?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Contax IIa is sill at repair man I will try it out , remind me at next week, in advance I 99% sure it is works , fit without any problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My Contax IIa is sill at repair man I will try it out , remind me at next week, in advance I 99% sure it is works , fit without any problem.

I found an article on the internet saying this kind of J12 with a longer metal ring around the rear element can fit to Contax IIa/IIIa.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the metal ring is not longer but the lens was designed to be shorter. This lens in the picture has a serial number starts with 57 so I think it should be made in 1957.

If a 35mm lens is to be used with IIa/IIIa, is an external view finder needed as a must?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depend from you if borders are not important you can see central part in camera viewer and 35mm picture will be wider.
I use Russian made turret finder works very well and cheap. If J12 not fit into somehow to your camera by a KIEV also , good as than contax I have many of them and I love them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those '57 J-12's with the longer metal ring, and it is an excellent lens. Unfortunately I don't have a Contax to try and mount it Laughing

I shot a couple of rolls with it on the Kiev-4 without an auxiliary finder. Some shots came out better than others, I'm sure I'd do better after seeing the results... but I ended up finding a Canon aux finder that I'll use next time I put the J-12 on.

Here's some samples I've posted with the J-12 and no aux finder
http://forum.mflenses.com/j-12-kiev-4-colorplus-200-t43092.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/kiev-jupiter-12-kodak-gold-400-t43078.html