Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bidens flower in human vs bee vision
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Bidens flower in human vs bee vision Reply with quote

Visual, simulated bee vision, UV shot

This is intended to show the difference between our human vision (VIS) and the vision a bee has (BV), since bees can see ultraviolet light (UV) as well as blue and green (and a little red).

Here the bee vision shot in higher resolution:

Note the dark center UV pattern which is also pertained in the bee vision shot and the UV bright outer petal part, which together create a very attractive nectar guiding "landing platform" for bees / insects.

Quite interesting what this all yellow (for us) flower looks like compared to what it does to a bee or insect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always really impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio! I will be in Croatia and Montenegro next week and hope to bring
back some UV photos from mediterreanean flowers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, I had no idea. Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks Orio! I will be in Croatia and Montenegro next week and hope to bring
back some UV photos from mediterreanean flowers!

Good luck!
But if you want Mediterranean flowers, you know there is one place to go: Sardegna. May or June.
There is the widest presence of orchids in the whole Mediterranean.
But you must rent a car there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klaus

your offerings are always so informative and professional

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Orio, I have heard about the rare flowers in Sardegna and hopefully I make it there once - I'm not a person that likes heat, so not easy for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys!

Orio, I have heard about the rare flowers in Sardegna and hopefully I make it there once - I'm not a person that likes heat, so not easy for me.

It's not necessarily hot in Sardegna in May - for instance, we are 10 days from May now, and it's quite cold for the season.
Also, especially in the north part (which is very interesting botanically), the spring weather is a lot more varied than one would think.