Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Kodachrome 25 Klose-up.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Another Kodachrome 25 Klose-up. Reply with quote

Another one from the archives.

Good old Praktica BC-1 + Sigma Zoom Master 2.8-4/35-70 with Kodachrome 25. Shot on the same cloudy and overcast day back in 1988 at Inverewe Gardens near Ullapool in Scotland.

Last edited by bob955i on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a good scan and shoot!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breath-taking colours...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly good Very Happy

You, Kodachrome and the BC1 were a match made in heaven Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful one!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent film and reckon to last about 120 years before slight fading of some colours (mine are nearly half that time and still excellent).......where will digital JPGs be after that time. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Excellent film and reckon to last about 120 years before slight fading of some colours (mine are nearly half that time and still excellent).......where will digital JPGs be after that time. Wink
This is my biggest fear. If you clear-out a dead relatives house, you find boxes of photos and slides, so you keep them. When I curl up my toes, will they just look at my computer and think "it's old and crappy" and toss it in the skip, along with a million jpegs that could be historically interesting? Multiply that by the population of the world, and we are going to lose a shit-load of history. It scares me Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The young don't care (or think about) for 50 or 60 years in the future, but now that I'm old I found you do care and I like looking back at my old negs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the kind comments guys and I'm glad you like the shots.

@ Graham: I still have the original BC-1 body and the S(t)igma zoom I used for this shot although the camera itself jammed about two years later due to me fitting a motorwind. I replaced it with another BC-1 which had a plastic film rewind knob that later broke so I took the metal one off the jammed body to repair the newer one. This body still functions to this day and I should really bring them both back out of retiral. The motorwind stays in the box though... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Thanks again for the kind comments guys and I'm glad you like the shots.

@ Graham: I still have the original BC-1 body and the S(t)igma zoom I used for this shot although the camera itself jammed about two years later due to me fitting a motorwind. I replaced it with another BC-1 which had a plastic film rewind knob that later broke so I took the metal one off the jammed body to repair the newer one. This body still functions to this day and I should really bring them both back out of retiral. The motorwind stays in the box though... Laughing
Oh, you don't want to use a motorwind on a BC-1 Shocked

I'm half-tempted to get a decent BC-1. It was one of those rare cameras that just "felt right" in the hand and required no concentration to use properly. A bit like an old-style rangefinder.

The S(t)igma lenses did well in the reviews at the time. I had the 70-210 until recently, and it never failed to turn-in a sharp image across the frame. At any rate, your 'chromes speak for themselves, and nobody could knock the image quality Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Oh, you don't want to use a motorwind on a BC-1 Shocked

Tell me about it... Laughing It was for the Jenaflex AM-1 and only did 2fps - what in God's name was I thinking...? Laughing

Quote:
I'm half-tempted to get a decent BC-1. It was one of those rare cameras that just "felt right" in the hand and required no concentration to use properly. A bit like an old-style rangefinder.

Very true - I got to the stage with mine that I could take it out the bag and have it ready to shoot by the time it reached eye level. I've never had a camera like that since. The 'B' series camera I liked the most was the B200 because it reminded me of a grenade. Laughing

Quote:
The S(t)igma lenses did well in the reviews at the time. I had the 70-210 until recently, and it never failed to turn-in a sharp image across the frame. At any rate, your 'chromes speak for themselves, and nobody could knock the image quality Cool

The 35-70 I used for the above shot spent 20 years on both the first and second BC-1 bodies and was rarely off the camera. I liked that lens so much, I eventually hunted down an M42 version as well. Even though I went digital in 2002 with the Minolta DiMage 7i, I only retired the PraktiSigma combo in 2006 when I got the 5D as it just blew the Minolta away IMO, good as the latter was. I also remember pestering Jessops in Edinburgh in the late 80's to try and get me a Prakticar 2.8/20 (Flektogon in disguise) as I wanted something much wider but the Berlin Wall fell in 1989 and that was the end of Praktica et al. I still have some Jessops pricelists from 1985 onwards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvellous! That camera, lens and film really did a good job in recording your great shot. I was at a car boot sale last year and a bloke was selling a BC-something with three prime lenses in an aluminium case, all in excellent condition for £25. I said "Ner, it's too much." and walked away. Doh!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i: "The 'B' series camera I liked the most was the B200 because it reminded me of a grenade."

The first PRAKTICA Bayonet mount camera, was very advanced at that time (early 1980s).

Last edited by koji on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectacular!
I really do have to try shooting some slide film. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Marvellous! That camera, lens and film really did a good job in recording your great shot. I was at a car boot sale last year and a bloke was selling a BC-something with three prime lenses in an aluminium case, all in excellent condition for £25. I said "Ner, it's too much." and walked away. Doh!

A seller was so pleased to sell this lot to me at a boot sale, she started off hours before at a higher price (£40 without the mirror lens) and no one wanted it even when she was dropping the price gradually...well I came along and said "is the mirror lens inc..all for £18" and she said "go on then" Cool BTW included was a winder and all as new.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ koji: That's the one. You're right about the B series being advanced. They had one of the most comprehensive focus screens you could get and a stepless shutter when in auto mode. I reckon the only thing that beat them was the bayonet mount and the limited amount of lenses for it. There was an M42-PB adapter (I have two) but had it been possible to use the Pentax K mount, it would have been an even better camera, excellent as it already was.

Think I might look out for another one now... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Look for two, I want one an'all Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Someone on here started a Meyer Trioplan 100 thang a while back - have I somehow just elevated the Praktica B series cameras to cult status? Confused Surprised Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Someone on here started a Meyer Trioplan 100 thang a while back - have I somehow just elevated the Praktica B series cameras to cult status? Confused Surprised Laughing
Possibly, but either way, you'll get the blame Razz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ koji: That's the one. You're right about the B series being advanced. They had one of the most comprehensive focus screens you could get and a stepless shutter when in auto mode. I reckon the only thing that beat them was the bayonet mount and the limited amount of lenses for it. There was an M42-PB adapter (I have two) but had it been possible to use the Pentax K mount, it would have been an even better camera, excellent as it already was.

They also had the light-conduit inside of the mirror, and there was an electrical connection which
eliminates F-stop of the lens linkage, the camera can know the lens' WO F-stop using a kind of
bridge circuit. The light from the conduit inside of the mirror is collected into the sensor inside of
the camera, which determines the shutter speed if in the AE mode. Etc...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
bob955i wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Possibly, but either way, you'll get the blame Razz

And in 2012 too.

You know this means that before the world ends, the prices will rocket to stratospheric levels.

£2.50... Laughing

@ koji: With the specs and technology the B series had, you have to wonder what Praktica would have been producing now?