Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I couldn't resist…
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: I couldn't resist… Reply with quote

…but just read what it says on the front of that lens, how could a Fuji collector like me avoid it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?

WOW! Congratulations!!!

I am eagerl looking forward to your report and to hearing your experiences.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, and congrats! is that the new X mount 35/1.4 lens for the xpro1? do you have the whole kit? what do you think of the cam, lens, comparative IQ, useability? i am really interested in your perspective on these, and also how this cam allows for manual focus of legacy glass as ive read nothing about this aspect.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also nice to reunite long-lost relatives:

I will post photos and comments as soon as I have time to put together something coherent. I actually picked up the camera a week ago—probably the first one sold in Finland as I got it around midnight from a 24h kiosk and it had only arrived in the shop an hour or so earlier—but I've been so busy at work that I've basically just got a couple of walks' worth of snapshots.

But as an initial comment, that Super EBC Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 is pretty amazing.

Last edited by Arkku on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
cool, and congrats! is that the new X mount 35/1.4 lens for the xpro1? do you have the whole kit?

I just have the body + that one lens and M42 and M39 adapters. I'm not that interested in the two other launch lenses, but the 14mm that's supposed to come out later this year might be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for image quality, one problem in addition to lack of time is that Apple and Adobe have not yet updated their raw converters to support this camera. It is possible, of course, to shoot raw+JPEG, and there's even an in-camera option to edit the raw settings and process additional JPEGs, but the workflow overall suffers. It does come with a raw converter software made by Silkypix, but as usual it does not perfectly match the output produced by the camera itself…

Anyhow, a quickly processed shot (original size available in flickr, only cropped) taken with the 35mm f/1.4 at f/2.8:

(Focus is on the body of the mallard since it didn't let me crouch down to actually see where I was aiming the camera.)

Last edited by Arkku on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrets. Reminds me at the old Contax G2 - super design.

I didn´t follow all the threads etc of this cam - are there other adapters than M42 and M39 available or is this due to finder technology not possible.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

I didn´t follow all the threads etc of this cam - are there other adapters than M42 and M39 available or is this due to finder technology not possible.

There's live view both through an EVF and the rear screen, also a menu option to set focal length for OVF frame (zone focusing, obviously no TTL OVF), and the register distance is slightly shorter than on the NEX so pretty much everything should be adaptable. Currently available adapters are M42, M39, Leica M, Nikon F, Contax G, and C/Y but I'm sure there will be many others before long… Fujifilm is also going to release an official Leica M adapter although it's unknown yet if that will provide some functionality that's not provided by the third-party adapters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, well done. that fuji lens looks to be a killer ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice but the grip material looks kind of old. Maybe you could paint it green. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice bokeh and good detail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a lot depends on how this camera focuses legacy lenses. i love my x100, but it's manual focusing function is useless. i can see many might just want this as another 'system' camera, but on this forum i think most will be interested in how it works with non system legacy lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh WOW! How much would I like to have such a 1.4/35 for the NEX!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a nice looking cam and your first result seems to be quite promissing! How is the EVF on this cam, can it be compared to the Sony Nex one's and does it have the focus peaking??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Wow, that's a nice looking cam and your first result seems to be quite promissing! How is the EVF on this cam, can it be compared to the Sony Nex one's and does it have the focus peaking??

Well, I haven't actually used any NEX camera but based on the specs the NEX-7 has more pixels in the EVF (though I think less in the rear LCD). The X-Pro1 does not have focus peaking, although this is something that might be remedied in a firmware update especially since they are releasing the official Leica M adapter.

To be honest, based on the specs and any sensible argument, the NEX-7 should be a far better buy for manual focus enthusiasts. However, all rational arguments aside, I just don't get excited about any other mirrorless camera except this one, and as I happened to get roughly the required amount of money from a freelance side-project, I went for it. I don't regret it; the 35mm f/1.4 lens is pretty much worth it alone for me.

Last edited by Arkku on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another shot of mallards from the same walk:

(Again 35mm f/1.4 at f/2.8. In-camera processing with velvia simulation, just cropped slightly and quickly removed one bird poo in Photoshop.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice again, looks like an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice! Congrats on your new camera.
I'm waiting for arrival here in N America.
The 35 looks great in your samples. The 60 is also superb from samples I have seen.
This camera is quite revolutionary. Hope that Apple and Adobe come quickly with Raw compatabilty updates Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz also! Very Happy

Wow, this camera would also be my choice together with the E-m5.

IQ and lens looks really nice!

Thx for sharing Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT is some kit! Congratulations, I am truly envious! Those first shots look very nice indeed. It is on my Christmas list Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, beautiful camera and the 35mm look great!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a bit more about my experiences with manual focus on the X-Pro1 on flickr. Still more to come (especially photos) once I have more time to try more lenses and actually take “real” photos and not just test…