Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wee bit of history...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Wee bit of history... Reply with quote

This is another Kodachrome - either 25 or 64, this time from July 1995 showing the nearly completed Skye Bridge and the two CalMac RORO ferries that sailed between Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland and Kyleakin on Skye. The ferries were discontinued in October of that same year and the bridge would go on to be claimed as having the highest costing tolls in Europe before said tolls were axed in 2004 after nearly ten years of protest.

Praktica BC-1 + Sigma Zoom Master 2.8-4/35-70 again:

Last edited by bob955i on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating and one o he true values of photography as our historical medium

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kodachrome colours... sigh! Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Kodachrome 25 myself as it never failed to deliver for me. Ektar 25 was another film that I miss even though we have Ektar 100 now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love documentary photography, and this one is great. You have captured something that will never be seen again, which makes it priceless Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way the Kodachrome has handled the exposure of the shaded ferry yet kept the detail in the clouds where it is quite bright. The subject matter is priceless!

There is a feeling of sadness, with the bridge in the background suggesting the impending end to the ferry service.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

@ Graham & skida: I knew an era was ending so planned this shot to include both ferries and the bridge lurking in the background. In previous years there was always a bustle and excitement at each ferry terminal especially at the Kyle one since you were going 'over the sea to Skye'. I recall when this shot was taken though that the mood was far more sombre due to the impending end of a tradition. Kyle of Lochalsh managed to adapt as the main road still passed through it but Kyleakin essentially died on it's feet as the bridge route bypassed it completely. Skye itself changed forever after the bridge opened and the old way of life with it where people could leave their houses unlocked etc.

Some background on the ferry service:
http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_photograph.jsp?item_id=84316