Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Zeiss ZE line begins to expand
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: The Zeiss ZE line begins to expand Reply with quote

The 3.5/18 is announced
Hoping for the 2/100 Macro Planar Very Happy

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09032702zeiss_3p5_18_canon.asp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the Nikon ZF and use an adaptor?

Well, since I have Canon + Nikon + Olympus + Sigma Bodies, I never know which mount I should finally choose. Usually I select Nikon since worst case I can adapt it to Oly + Canon (+Sigma)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Well, since I have Canon + Nikon + Olympus + Sigma Bodies, I never know which mount I should finally choose. Usually I select Nikon since worst case I can adapt it to Oly + Canon (+Sigma)

Yes excellent point.
This is one of a couple lenses (Distagon 2/35 also) I would like to have with an auto aperture function.
Likely I would be using it handheld at events rather than as a true macro or on a tripod where working in a stopped down mode is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Zeiss ZE lenses are optically optimized for EOS sensors. That's one of the reasons why they need longer to put them on the market.
And it IS a difference if you use such a lens with an adapter or not.
I have used the 3.5/18 ZF and the 2.8/25 ZF on a D100 and my EOS cams. They just feel better on a Nikon.
And the 1.4/50 ZE and 1.4/85 ZE feel great on an EOS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
As far as I know, the Zeiss ZE lenses are optically optimized for EOS sensors.

I thought Zeiss had confirmed that there are optically identical to the ZF models; solely the register distance, mount and af-confirm electronics are different.

Quote:
Attention Canon EOS users: Zeiss has announced the “ZE” line; all of the ZF lenses will eventually be available in Canon EOS (“ZE”) mount. In response to my inquiry, Zeiss has confirmed that the ZE lenses are optically identical to the ZF lenses. This review was shot on both Nikon and Canon bodies, so you’ll get “the picture” either way.
Source: diglloyd

LucisPictor wrote:
That's one of the reasons why they need longer to put them on the market.
And it IS a difference if you use such a lens with an adapter or not.
I have used the 3.5/18 ZF and the 2.8/25 ZF on a D100 and my EOS cams. They just feel better on a Nikon.
And the 1.4/50 ZE and 1.4/85 ZE feel great on an EOS!

Auto-aperture rather then stop-down is certainly an advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I can ask my contact directly...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I use the 1.4/50 Planar in ZF mount with a Canon adapter and have had no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/infos/ZeissZFLenses/index.html

"Attention Canon EOS users: Zeiss has announced the “ZE” line; all of the ZF lenses will eventually be available in Canon EOS (“ZE”) mount. In response to my inquiry, Zeiss has confirmed that the ZE lenses are optically identical to the ZF lenses. This review was shot on both Nikon and Canon bodies, so you’ll get “the picture” either way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

I agree on the logical point of view.
However to spend much money for a lens that has no aperture ring, makes me feel uncomfortable - I know, stupid prejudice, but...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Has anybody bought this review and is it worth the quite high expense?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine bought it when it was quite new and did not include all of the present ZF line-up. I have read it and I can say that it was well worth the 36 EUR it cost. For 36 EUR it is very difficult to find a technical book on photography that contains this wealth of lens-specific information. Best of all, it includes thorough side-by-side comparisons to the competition from Canon & Nikkors. The older book contained information that weighed my decision in favor of the ZF 85/1.4 rather than the Nikkor 85/1.4D last year.

I just purchased mine (today) and I will spend the weekend reading and digesting. I can give you my personal review probably after next weekend, I am too busy thursday to saturday with accounting, post-processing and assignments.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:

Has anybody bought this review and is it worth the quite high expense?

Yes.

(ZE 85/1.4 is optically different than ZF 85/1.4, others seem the same.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:

(ZE 85/1.4 is optically different than ZF 85/1.4, others seem the same.)

In what consists the optical difference, Koji?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, Orio. That was my mistake, they is the same optically.
(I was thinking Sonny's 85/1.4 lens. Embarassed )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

I agree on the logical point of view.
However to spend much money for a lens that has no aperture ring, makes me feel uncomfortable - I know, stupid prejudice, but...

Auto aperture does not mean there is no aperture ring. It means that there is one, rather than two, rings. The aperture ring is used to set the aperture, there is also a lever at the back of the lens, which the camera uses to hold the diaphragm fully open during focusing and metering. When the shutter button is pressed, the camera body releases the lever so the lens stops down to the aperture set on the ring.

This is the meaning of "Auto" which is seen on old Nikkor lenses (pre-AI) and is in distinction to stop-down.

So rather than the user making a quick movement to stop down for shooting, the camera does it instead. It was that aspect which i was describing as an advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Chris, I was talking about the ZE lenses, as far as I know, they have no aperture ring...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered it but then realized it would be a breach of copyright if I copy the table of contents here, there's a strict warning against publishing even parts of it without permission Sad

This text will give you an idea of the contents, though it's far more thorough than a quick glance at that description would reveal. http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/infos/ZeissZFLenses/index.html

The "Conclusions" -part is very interesting. Lloyd is very objective in his analysis, reminds me of Leica Schule and how lens strengths and weaknesses are laid out so that users can make the most of their equipment.

This is the serious lens evaluator's guide to ZF/ZE lenses, highly recommended. I am digesting the 85/1.4 section right now and am happy to discover a few things that I have not been able to unrevel in my use of the lens. Side-by-side comparisons to competing lenses are of high value indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZE Lens Review (the-Digital-Picture.com)