Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Kx with Sigma 14mm f2.8 and Nex with 16mm F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Pentax Kx with Sigma 14mm f2.8 and Nex with 16mm F2.8 Reply with quote

Being in a band and running an events co-ordination business as a hobby I have a lot of opportunities to shoot low-light action for bands.
The last shoot I did I found that my Nex with the Kit 16mm lens actually performed really well for this.
As many of you know last w/e I picked up a Pentax Kx, well on Friday I picked up the Sigma 14mm F2.8 lens for it and had a show that very night and another on the Sunday to shoot. So it gave me a very good opportunity to put the lens through it's paces and have a little compare between the two. All the shots can be found on my Photography Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/amomentintimeimagery

First up just a few shots from the Nex with the 16mm f2.8 lens:
These shots are from my mates band 'Serial Killer Smile' Ep launch

This shot is a great comparison between the Nex and Kx my partner and I took almost the same shot at almost the same time.

These next shots were taken at a show I played at Hq all ages venue, these are of course shots of the other bands on the bill with us.

And Now the Pentax Kx with the Sigma 14mm f2.8 lens:
These shots are from my mates band 'Serial Killer Smile' Ep launch

This shot is a great comparison between the Nex and Kx my partner and I took almost the same shot at almost the same time.

These next shots were taken at a show I played at Hq all ages venue, these are of course shots of the other bands on the bill with us.

I find this a very interesting comparison, I think I will have to do a more in depth one for my PROTAS page.
I hope you guys enjoy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series! I don't see big differences from the Nex and Kx, both have sony sensors
14mm give great results, lower shutter speed and bigger dof
but it is not easy for everyone to be in the first row Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yes very true. There are times when I'm sure people would need a good zoom for shooting shows.
However I feel their slow speed (f stops) are often just not good enough for the low-light venues here in Perth. That and I find a lot of the shots I see coming from people who shoot zooms (usually on Canon full frames so better light handling) their images often feel very static with not much feeling of movement. I find using wide primes gives a greater feeling of action as you grab some of the stage as well.
I often get to the front before the bands get on stage, this allows me to be right at the front, and as I am a musician I am quite good at being on stage and being aware of the people around me. So I often jump up on stage to get those real close-up shots. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Haha, yes very true. There are times when I'm sure people would need a good zoom for shooting shows.
However I feel their slow speed (f stops) are often just not good enough for the low-light venues here in Perth. That and I find a lot of the shots I see coming from people who shoot zooms (usually on Canon full frames so better light handling) their images often feel very static with not much feeling of movement. I find using wide primes gives a greater feeling of action as you grab some of the stage as well.
I often get to the front before the bands get on stage, this allows me to be right at the front, and as I am a musician I am quite good at being on stage and being aware of the people around me. So I often jump up on stage to get those real close-up shots. Very Happy

Getting the action is important, and you're doing that allright !

I like the colour control of both cameras and lenses, the images are vivid. And the surprisingly small amount of flare adds to the sense of 'being there'. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! You conserve the mood. Great stage photos!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these are really excellent, congratulations!
Winner for me is #2