Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portland's Occupy F29 March Yashica 28/2.8 ML Tokina RMC 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Portland's Occupy F29 March Yashica 28/2.8 ML Tokina RMC 17 Reply with quote

I'm not a photojournalist but I like to keep up with what's happening in my local Occupy.

The vast majority were shot with the Yashica 28/2.8 ML on a Canon 60D.
Unfortunately, I had switched to the Tokina RMC 17/3.5 when the riot cops came out which caused me to get closer than I wanted to!

Power to the people!

Beginning of the march on a cold, wet and blustery Leap Day.

Member of the Occupy PDX Bike Swarm.

Members of the PPB Bike Swarm.

There were 500-600 people (estimated) at the march. Great turnout in nasty weather.

The Occupy Movement brought Waylon Jennings back to life!

Sold!

The Portland Raging Grannies!

Occupy fashion!

A true woman of style.

Black Bloc?

White Bloc! Random acts of kindness.

Back at Chapman and Lownsdale Parks, site of the Occupation.

Whew! That's a relief.

The police have well equipped horses.

Occupy has well equipped horses.

The police are ready for war.

Occupy are ready for magic!

The situation got a little tense near the end of the march. The riot cops were ready and announcing a "police action"!

Occupy were... hold on... wait... a second...

ready! Candy anyone?

Homeland Security contemplate a potential terrorist.

I am really happy with both lenses especially considering I paid $30 for the Yashinon 28/2.8. The Tokina RMC 17/3.5 is also a great lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and very nice pics too!
I particularly like the rendering of the contrast between Police and Occupy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram

congratulations for getting in so close - not so sure I would have, given the presence of the riot squad!!

I really liked the humourous angle - especially the respective face masks for the police horse and the demonstrators "horse" and the Portland Grannies banner is fantastic.

The colours are really punching through for such a grey day!

Great series

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza59 has perfectly resumed what I want to say Very Happy ....
Colours are indeed great but I think I would prefer to see a B&W versie!
Anyway, you did for sure a good job with this reportage.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, there seems to be a mix of rage and humour... but maybe humour is prevailing?
It looks quite different from the political demonstrations here in Italy... here we have more violence, on both sides.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP, thanks!

bazza59, thanks so much! I love shooting in grey weather. I just went on instinct when the riot cops showed up. I try to keep an escape route for myself but sometimes it's not possible. When shooting it's hard to know if you are about to get clocked by a cop. I do wear a bike helmet at all times.

pich900, thanks! I do love the colors of the Yashica ML 28. I try to never shoot at higher ISO's than 200. I compared my work to what the pros did that day and I think I did OK with my "inferior" equipment- but there's always room for improvement!

Orio, I would be terrified to demonstrate with the Carabinieri around. There have been some very bad instances of police brutality here. Luckily, no one has been killed but one guy has a broken back and still can't walk and use one arm. The Portland demonstrators are very peaceful and the over-reaction by the cops has been ridiculous. That's part of the reason for the clowns is to point this out. It also helps to inject some humor when the riot goons start closing in. I hope things will stay peaceful but fear they may not. The reason I do this is that the main stream media will report that nothing happened when I see people on the ground getting clubbed. The truth must be told.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowns scare me Embarassed always have ever since I was a child Rolling Eyes Love the photos though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Clowns scare me Embarassed always have ever since I was a child Rolling Eyes Love the photos though.

Hahaha! Thanks. Riot cops scare me! When the line of clowns went in front of the riot cops, it really broke the tension. Brave clowns!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this report!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great collection of pics there, looks like those wider focal lengths worked well for you.