Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock-Heligon 1,9/50 M42 price went crazy on Ebay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock-Heligon 1,9/50 M42 price went crazy on Ebay Reply with quote

Would you please enlighten me why this lens is so precious?
Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rodenstock-Heligon 1,9/50 M42 price went crazy on Ebay Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

I think this is a price that reflects not the optical quality but only the rarity of that lens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rodenstock-Heligon 1,9/50 M42 price went crazy on Ebay Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

I think this is a price that reflects not the optical quality but only the rarity of that lens.

For what I know is one of the rarest m42-edixa lenses, I think both our Klaus experts can confirm it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Collector's item, collector's price.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that this lens in any aspect better is than Helios 44-2 (1 euro)
regards semso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rare lens, very few where made.
You can compare with Helios as you can compare Lada with DeLorean. each one will do the job.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After learning of The DeLorean Motor Company (though I love Back to the Future triology) i think i've got the picture Smile. Thank you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To exaklaus,
do not forget that helios 100% copy of Biotar (CARL ZEISS!!!!!)
and LADA is probably based on FIAT
If you like to speek about brands (not about quality)
regards semso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
To exaklaus,
do not forget that helios 100% copy of Biotar (CARL ZEISS!!!!!)
and LADA is probably based on FIAT
If you like to speek about brands (not about quality)
regards semso

Actually KIEV is to CONTAX
is the same as LADA to FIAT

the only difference is that Soviets
paid something to the italians for the factory Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rare lens indeed. Funny that at least I would always
prefer the original over a copy ... how come? Wink Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I already wrote: it would be an interesting lens but I am not willing to pay the collector’s surcharge.

Why do I think it is interesting?

I have another lens made by Rodenstock, the "Ysarex". This is a tiny lens made for the "Deckel" mount (Kodak, Voigtländer). It is a standard lens, a Tessar design. Well, another Tessar. I have seen many. But the Ysarex is better, the best Tessar I have seen before. Even the corners of a picture are usable at wide open aperture on my EOS 5D. Good colours, fine resolution.

If that Heligon is the same way better in the "Gauss" league it’s price may be higher than the normal Gauss design lenses - but not so much more ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefear to pay 50X less for a 100% copy
or to get 50 examples of 100% copy for the same money

regards semso Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
I prefear to pay 50X less for a 100% copy
or to get 50 examples of 100% copy for the same money

regards semso Laughing Laughing

Everyone as he likes. I like my Helios-44 too. But also the Biotar, they are indeed very similar. There are differences between the several varieties of Biotar 58 mm though. And between the varieties of Helios. Members of this forum did discuss them very often.

There are even copies that show some improvement to the original.

But I think you make a mistake if you think that all cheap copies are the same quality in built and result as the original.

BTW the Rodenstock is not a Biotar copy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Rodenstock,
I will keep 600+ euro for myself and buy 1 euro Pentacon MC 1.8 50mm

semso Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
About Rodenstock,

Congrats! Do you really think that these are great news for the rest of the world? My advice: buy no lens - keep all money, that is even cheaper Laughing

Do you believe - or do you KNOW that the Pentacon lens plays in the same league? Advantage Pentacon: it is multicoated. Laughing

It is enlightening how simple all things can be. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe this lens could perform any better than Helios, Biotar or Orestor. It's based on simple 6/4 planar formula, which is used by majority of 50-58mm f/1.7-f/2 lenses including the 3 mentioned ones.

It can be a good tool if used by good hands, but that applies to almost any lens.

It's just a collector item at this price...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
About Rodenstock,

There will be a 2000 x 1,8/50 1Euro Pentacon lens ending soon:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280460496131&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Wonder, where this will end.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo Meyer made both (Pentacon is Meyer lens)
What is wrong?
Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is wrong, just the nice price.
Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
Hugo Meyer made both (Pentacon is Meyer lens)
What is wrong?
Shocked Shocked

To be fair: the quality of Hugo Meyer lenses should not be mixed up with Pentacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view the price has very little to do with how good or how bad the lens is , it is all about rarity if you are a collector of lenses

Some of us collect and use , some just collect for the sake of having some thing special

An insect collector will pay five times that price for a cockroach if it is guaranteed to be the last one on earth.........and the same goes for lenses Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
In my view the price has very little to do with how good or how bad the lens is , it is all about rarity if you are a collector of lenses

Some of us collect and use , some just collect for the sake of having some thing special

An insect collector will pay five times that price for a cockroach if it is guaranteed to be the last one on earth.........and the same goes for lenses Very Happy Very Happy

Yes!!

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though obviously the price is due to collectibility, I sold one of those on eBay recently to get cash, but I was still amazed of what this lens can do at f1.9 and close distance. I think that it is a 6/4 Xenar design. So after that I bought a QBM Xenar 50 f1.9 (similar lens), where I do think that price will be in consonance with lens performance.

Helios or a pentacon are one or two degrees of magnitude after this lens.

BTW, listing lasted only two days, I think that I could have sold it even more expensive.

I dit two samples showing wide open performance, because the lens did looked like it had some issues:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/M42-Rodenstock-Heligon-50-f1-9-Edixa-RARE-/300662549198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item4600e26ace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
I think that it is a 6/4 Xenar design. So after that I bought a QBM Xenar 50 f1.9 (similar lens), where I do think that price will be in consonance with lens performance.

You mean Xenon, don't you? The Xenar is a tessar clone. As for the Xenon, early ones used a 6/4 double Gauss type design licensed from Taylor, Taylor & Hobson. Nowadays Xenon is a trade name, not a design type. The little 17/0.95 Xenon I have in the closet isn't a 6/4 double Gauss type.

"Fast" (around f/2) 6/4 double Gauss types seem to be derivatives of the TTH Series 0, not of Rudolph's f/3.5 (and slower) Planars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Xenars are Tessars, some are 5 elements.