Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock-Heligon 1,9/50 M42 price went crazy on Ebay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Some Xenars are Tessars, some are 5 elements.

Ian, I'd really like to thank you for correcting an error but I'm not sure I should. You've tried to help me, and I'm grateful, but I'm not convinced I'm mistaken.

Here's why. In his little pamphlet on Kodak Retinas, Kehoe says that the Ib (type 018) and IB (Roman numeral I, capital B, type 019) have 50/2.8 five element Xenar lenses. If that's what you're thinking of, you're corroborated. The problem is that I have a Retina Ib and a IB, each has a 50/2.8 Xenar, and each of their lenses has a pattern of reflections that spell tessar. Four strong, no weak, reflections from the front cells; two strong, one weak, from the rears.

Sometimes what's published isn't universally true. If anyone here has a Retina with a five element lens engraved Xenar I'd love to hear about it.

There's the S-Xenar which is a triplet with a split front element and there's the Xenar Typ D, but neither is a jes' plain Xenar.

Cheers,

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember where I saw the 5 element Xenar now, it came up in a discussion a while back and someone posted an old optical schema from some promotional material that showed a 5 element type. I'll try to remember where I saw it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this lens. Five element Xenar 50/2.8 - cant say for sure if it was ever manufactured with any Retina cameras.

Something from Camera Eccentric-

I have seen it mentioned ; how this was used on the Retina IIa (Type 150) . I am pretty sure I read it somewhere; but the writer had none of his own camera/lens images to back it up. So I dunno..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, Kathmandu, thanks for the replies and especially for the reference to a catalog on cameraeccentric. That clears up some confusion in the VM very nicely.

Keyhoe says nothing about a five element Xenar on the type 150 Retina, which proves nothing. He does say that the earlier type 122 and type 142 Retina IIs have f/2.8 and f/2.0 Xenons. Again, this has no bearing at all on five element Xenars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Ian, Kathmandu, thanks for the replies and especially for the reference to a catalog on cameraeccentric. That clears up some confusion in the VM very nicely.

Keyhoe says nothing about a five element Xenar on the type 150 Retina, which proves nothing. He does say that the earlier type 122 and type 142 Retina IIs have f/2.8 and f/2.0 Xenons. Again, this has no bearing at all on five element Xenars.

You are welcome and apologies to OP Smile for wandering off a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was meaning Xenon of course (gauss based), I usually have a little dyslexia with things with very similar names.