Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Edixa-mat Reflex, broken shutter button
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Edixa-mat Reflex, broken shutter button Reply with quote

I got an Edixa-mat Reflex mod. S-L some time ago that I made a project as my first film camera. I polished it, lubed a little and bought new light seals and leather (waiting for that now). The only thing not working was the slow speeds but I was going to try to fix it too, everything else seemed fine.

I went out and bought some film that wasn't easy to come by, to be ready when the light seal arrive. But when I came home the shutter realease button simply didn't work, it did nothing. The shutter works if i push the button and push the mirror by hand or pull the lever that locks when winded up.

Anyone know how hard it is to fix these things for a newbie like me? Or should I just give up on the camera (sad face)? I guess it's some kind of spring that has come loose of simply broke. I've tried to dismantle that part of the camera but I'm working the blind.

Pics of the camera here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/edixa-on-a-pentax-k-7-with-m42-t44095.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry your Edixa has got itself jammed.

Have you looked at http://www.kl-riess.dk/gewir.html ? It may be a bit discouraging but it's certainly worth reading.

The Edixa's reputation seems to be far higher now than it was when they were new. Unless you paid a high price for yours, it might be sensible to keep whatever lens it has and look for another (maybe different brand) body.

Still, it's always sad when something breaks down. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Sorry your Edixa has got itself jammed.

Have you looked at http://www.kl-riess.dk/gewir.html ? It may be a bit discouraging but it's certainly worth reading.

The Edixa's reputation seems to be far higher now than it was when they were new. Unless you paid a high price for yours, it might be sensible to keep whatever lens it has and look for another (maybe different brand) body.

Still, it's always sad when something breaks down. Good luck with it.

When tilting the camera it sounds like some metallic part/parts are loose in there. Maybe some kind of axle broke from being put under pressure after many years on non-use? However, thanks for the interesting read. Somehow I missed that page. I bought the camera for the A. Schacht lenson it and other lenses that came with it so the camera was a bonus, just a bit sad that it broke down after i put work in renovating it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when I came home the shutter realease button simply didn't work, it did nothing. The shutter works if i push the button and push the mirror by hand or pull the lever that locks when winded up.

What is this lever you speak of? Be careful not to force anything. Be careful when moving the mirror it is easy to knock it out of whack. If it was working then it simply stopped working it is probably not a big problem, so be careful you do not cause harm by trying to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Quote:
But when I came home the shutter realease button simply didn't work, it did nothing. The shutter works if i push the button and push the mirror by hand or pull the lever that locks when winded up.

What is this lever you speak of? Be careful not to force anything. Be careful when moving the mirror it is easy to knock it out of whack. If it was working then it simply stopped working it is probably not a big problem, so be careful you do not cause harm by trying to fix it.

I'm no-way forcing things, I'm just very gently checking troubleshooting. The "lever" or what you call it is a "hook" in the bottom compartment that looks into a groove in a wheel when you wind up the camera. Earlier the shutter release somehow pushed the hook out of the groove, freed the wheel and released the shutter. Now nothing happens with the hook when pushing the shutter release.

Though maybe the problem is in the mirror as the shutter release moves the metal piece that locks the mirror down. Nothing else happens before before I either hold down the shutter release button and lift the mirror of pull the lever loose from the wheel, then the shutter fires and winding mechanism goes back to loose.

Sorry for being all over the place, writing in extremely bad English and not using correct wording for things, I'm really tired at the moment. I would be happy if anyone, despite the odds, got any clue on how to open the shutter release compartment so I can check and maybe take some photos of it. I'm almost 100% sure that the problem is there as both the mirror mechanism and shutter release seem to be in there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to wait a few days I will take photos showing how to remove the top plate on one my Edixas. It is not very hard to do, so I don't think you should have a problem doing it yourself.

However I'm still confused by what you mean by "hook" or "lever", maybe you can get a photo of this part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wait, I'm no-way in a hurry and would be grateful for all the help I can get. I can't even understand my earlier post myself but I can post some pics later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's how to get the top plate off of your edixa.

When you have the top plate off, re-install the advance lever so you can cock the shutter to check its function. The shutter will fire on B mode when the speed dial is removed.

I hope this helps. When you put the top plate back on make sure the return spring for the advance lever does not get stuck under the plate, or the plate won't fit right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was great help and I'll be on it as soon as I get the time and energy. Thanks!

I bought a Pentax Spotmatic II with another (already got a nicked one) Takumar 50mm F1.4 that should arrive soon, so I got a back-up if I wreck the Edixa. Wink
The Edixa isn't worth much even in working condition so what do I have to lose?