Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Edixa on a Pentax K-7 (with M42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Edixa on a Pentax K-7 (with M42) Reply with quote

Hi!
I think this is the correct place to post my question and this community simple seems to be great. I just got into the world of system cameras when me and my brother bought a Pentax K-7 and curious about the old lenses I got a Sigma 28mm f2.8. To put things short, I'm sold on the feel of the old MF-lenses and quickly invested in an original M42 ring.

Surfing around on the web for lenses for the M42 I found a couple of Edixa's for nothing and if I'm correct they all are M42. Though reading more into it here on the boards it seems like most of them are incompatible with the Pentax mount, correct? Does it vary with the maker of the Edixa lenses? I can buy them and try them out, as long as I don't risk damaging anything.

The seller knows squat about cameras and as I'm just a few week "old" beginner it's not too easy to find out the correct information. Therefore the info of the lenses could be slightly off. All the lenses are for the Edixa Mod S-T.
- EDIXA TRAVENAR-A 2,8/50 A.SCHACHT
- Kennex 1:6,3 400mm
- DELTA 35mm 1:3,5
- TELE-TOKINA 1:2,8 135mm

I hope somebody can help a small newbie out! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
My only Edixa lens is an Isco Gottingen Westenar 50mm f2.8 that works fine with my M42 to PK adapter.
I did have a 35mm Isco lens that used to catch the mirror at infinity focus but can't remember if it was one of the Isco Ediza lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any problems. Some hit the mirror of the full frame Canon EOS 5D, but surely the Pentax has a smaller mirror, being a crop camera. Could be proved wrong though!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Sounds good then. I read something about a strange pin and some spring mechanics that doesn't fit too well. Maybe the Edixa lenses I found doesn't have these things?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see you here, enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'll try to get hold on the lenses and if I get them I'll come back with a report. Though, don't expect anything deep and detailed due to my non-experience in photography. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
Thanks! Sounds good then. I read something about a strange pin and some spring mechanics that doesn't fit too well. Maybe the Edixa lenses I found doesn't have these things?

The Edixa lenses often have an aperture-tripping pin that's slightly shorter and broader than those found on most Japanese or East German lenses. Sometimes the actuating plate on Japanese of East German M42 thread bodies doesn't quite move forward far enough to trip the spring-loaded diaphragm. However, as you'll be using the Edixa lenses in "non-auto iris mode" on some sort of M42-K adapter that ought not to matter at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
VisualDarkness wrote:

The Edixa lenses often have an aperture-tripping pin that's slightly shorter and broader than those found on most Japanese or East German lenses. Sometimes the actuating plate on Japanese of East German M42 thread bodies doesn't quite move forward far enough to trip the spring-loaded diaphragm. However, as you'll be using the Edixa lenses in "non-auto iris mode" on some sort of M42-K adapter that ought not to matter at all.

Then I wasn't totally wrong with the pin. "Non-auto iris mode" sounds new to me. can you explain it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very important point you need to check:

The original cameras these lenses were designed for have a bar inside the lens mount which pushes a pin on the rear of the lens to close the aperture blades automatically when the shutter is fired. No modern camera has this bar, which means you have to close the aperture blades yourself, manually. Many better-quality M42 lenses have some kind of switch or lever, the so-called Auto-Manual or A-M switch which disables the pin mechanism and when you use the lens on a modern camera you can set this manual. This is what Stephen meant by "non-auto mode".

However, some of the cheaper M42 lenses, like the Meyer Domiplan or Helios 44M-4 for example, omitted this switch altogether and if you want to use them on a modern camera you'll need to find another way of keeping the pin depressed. I'm not sure whether Edixa lenses are like this but they were at the cheaper end of the scale so it's possible. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend you check whether these lenses have an A-M switch. If you can't make certain about it, my advice would be to forget these and look for lenses with A-M switches, such as the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 or the Pentax Takumar 1.8/55 for instance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
look for lenses with A-M switches, such as the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 or the Pentax Takumar 1.8/55 for instance.

Even better, Pentax K mount lenses will mount drectly on the K-7 and the aperture blades will close automatically. OEM Pentax lenses can be expensive, but you should find a Pentax-M 50mm f2.0 quite cheaply. Or there are very many cheap third party PK mount lenses such as Vivitar and many others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are looking like they will go for nothing so I'll take the gamble. The Takumars go for about 5 times the money for all the lenses and the Edixa cam and the Zeiss is really expensive in comparison. I already got the Sigma 28mm and waits for a Takumar 28mm to arrive so this i mostly just for fun.

In theory, in a worst case scenario, is it possible to superglue the pin in some way to get it stuck?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
They are looking like they will go for nothing so I'll take the gamble. The Takumars go for about 5 times the money for all the lenses and the Edixa cam and the Zeiss is really expensive in comparison. I already got the Sigma 28mm and waits for a Takumar 28mm to arrive so this i mostly just for fun.

In theory, in a worst case scenario, is it possible to superglue the pin in some way to get it stuck?

Wow, they must be cheap, or I'm not keeping up with current prices more probably! Smile

Go for it, it's the best way to learn. Some people have had success with superglue. I've never tried it, usually there is a better and simpler way to do it if you take off the mount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Wow, they must be cheap, or I'm not keeping up with current prices more probably! Smile

Go for it, it's the best way to learn. Some people have had success with superglue. I've never tried it, usually there is a better and simpler way to do it if you take off the mount.

Yeah, cheap enough to use as paper weights as it looks now. I'm pretty sure that the price will stay that low due to a brutally bad description by the seller (who lacks any knowledge when it comes to cameras) and the not too well-known names involved. I really hope nobody snipes me at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edixa cameras in the US tend to have some collectors value, and if advertised as such they can go for surprising amounts.

You can usually get a functional Pentax Spotmatic for considerably less.

As for lenses, the Isco, Schacht, etc. German-made lenses generally bear their makers names, which are all also collectible.

As for the pins and the A/M switch, there is an excellent remedy - one style of M42-PK adapter has an internal flange that keeps these pins pressed. The one I have works perfectly on everything I've got, including a made-for-Edixa Isco 135.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Edixa cameras in the US tend to have some collectors value, and if advertised as such they can go for surprising amounts.

You can usually get a functional Pentax Spotmatic for considerably less.

As for lenses, the Isco, Schacht, etc. German-made lenses generally bear their makers names, which are all also collectible.

As for the pins and the A/M switch, there is an excellent remedy - one style of M42-PK adapter has an internal flange that keeps these pins pressed. The one I have works perfectly on everything I've got, including a made-for-Edixa Isco 135.

Which adapter is that? I got the original Pentax Asahi one for m42.

Ischo, Edixa, Schacht etc seems to be worth nothing here in Sweden as far as I can see. I can get cameras and lenses for about 5-15€ here without even searching hard. Zeiss instead is worth a lot no-matter which model.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Hong Kong adapters. Look for PK-M42 with flange. I have seen them on ebay.

I bought mine from a guy in Hong Kong that use to sell on this forum. He seems to have disappeared however.

If that stuff is cheap in Sweden, then you have an international arbitrage opportunity !

Buy the lenses cheap, post them on US ebay, and promise to ship anywhere. You will sell all you like in Asia.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do with my Edixa lens before mounting to camera is depress the pin, then use the aperture ring like I would with a preset lens, then I have full aperture control unless I move the switch. Then the aperture remains open till I remove the lens and depress the aperture ring again.
Otherwise hunt up the previously mentioned flanged M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have one from Alex - the guy who sold ealier in here and one from SRB Griturn UK http://www.srb-griturn.com/
both are perfect, wish i had such a nice part for my Nex now...
had one from Walimex - a typical cheap chinese version, which did not fit into the cam - could not turn more than some degrees after inserting into the body
for SRB you need to order for lens with no A/M switch - it was very expensive - i paid 46 pounds deliverd to me. They ordered/produced ? it and it took 4 weeks to deliver
They worked with Schacht and Schneider "Edixa - lenses" without problem, for others, i can´t say

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
VisualDarkness wrote:

Hi,

This is correct. The Edixa version of the M42 aperture-pin mechanism is slightly different from most others, and the "pusher" plates of non-Edixa bodies sometimes fail to actuate the pin, meaning that the lens won't be stopped down to the pre-selected aperture. Unfortunately, it appears that the placement of the Edixa aperture pin (as opposed to its design) is also slightly non-standard; on some Edixa lenses, the pin is a bit further "inboard" than usual. In some cases, that means that even a flanged M42 adapter will fail to depress the pin; the flange literally "misses" the pin, by a vanishingly small distance. (That's the case with my Steinheil Macro-Quinar 135/2.8 for Edixa; I have to stop the lens down using the built-in cable-release socket.) Of course, if the lens in question has an auto/manual switch, then these incompatibilities are of no consequence.

One piece of good news is that most (all?) Edixa-branded lenses were supplied by other companies, and were therefore also sold in non-Edixa "generic" M42 versions. In some cases (most cases?), I suspect that the difference between the Edixa and non-Edixa versions amounted to nothing more than a difference in the beauty-ring engraving. But obviously, in some cases at least, there were genuine differences of construction and design. So if you're uncertain, you may be able to find the identical lens in the "generic" non-Edixa M42 version, and be reasonably confident that you won't have any of these issues.

Note that there were also some late Edixa-branded lenses made in Japan; some of those have definite design affinities with contemporary Yashica and Mamiya/Sekor lenses. I assume that these late lenses are "standard" M42s.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information! I will get the lenses (with an Edixa camera) probably early next week so I'll report what I find.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now everything arrived! All the equipment seems to be in really good condition (except for the "old" smell and some dust) and all lenses seem to have extremely good optics under the dust and occasional fingerprint. I got loads of stuff with it (dunno what some things are, but all seem high quality) and all the notes on the previous owner has written tells a story about an ambitious photographer that really took care of his camera.

Is all this worth the 55€ I payed? No modifications seems to be needed.

The camera feels and look great and the lens looks almost as new. If it doesn't work it's still worth the money as a display item, no doubt.

T-mount?

The Delta came with a metal hood and feels sturdy. I accidentally just deleted the photo of the side-view.

The Kennex is practically mint condition. Feels way lighter than I'd thought. I guess it's a re-branded version of the common 400mm 6,3 lens?

Stuff, loads of it. Fine Hoya and Pentax filters at the mere cost of 4€ tells me that these are old. Dunno what all the stuff is and how much use I'll have for most of it. Anyone need lamps?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just discovered that the strange huge plastic/metal thing with screw-mounts in both directions actually was a plastic hood for the Kennex and a metal one for the Tokina stuck together. Embarassed

Also note that most things came with documentation and original cases.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schacht lens in very bad lightning and ISO800. Added some sharpening after re-sizing, no other modification. Am I the only one that finds the pictures just beautiful?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff.

Does the Edixa work ? Thats the big question with these apparently.
It looks like it is in nice cosmetic condition.

The only German lens here is the Schacht. The rest are Japanese, and have pretty low resale value.

The 135 Tokina is a fine performer in my opinion.

The 400 should be OK.

I think you got a reasonable deal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina got nice bokeh with its ~15 blades (I think it was) and the Schacht is well worth the money. I haven't really tried the 400mm out yet as it needs distance and good light to work properly.

Any idea what the Delta is? I can't find any similar lens nor anything on the brand.

I think the camera works but I not sure know how to use it yet, it's my first retro camera. Cosmetically it looks nice but a bit dirty (like "30 years in the attic dirty") and I've started to polish it up. All mechanical parts seem okay and when I took apart some of the metal casing I saw no flaws with my lacking skill. The only problem is that the viewfinder/prism/focusscreen is too filled with dust and the blower doesn't help at all so I need to open it but dunno how.