Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 35mm f2 and Mir24N close up comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Nikkor 35mm f2 and Mir24N close up comparison Reply with quote

Not really an extensive test, or one carried out under contrlled conditions but some close up shots from each lens. Just for fun I'll reveal which was which later:

Lens A at f2:

Lens B at f2:

Lens A at f2.8:

Lens B at f2.8:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see difference except the focus point changed between each shot. You really need a liveview Wink
How was the spaghetti and the wine ?
I don't have any of those lens so I guess
I prefer B=nikkor but would be happy with A=mir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult to tell which is what, for a number of reasons:

- small resize (100% size is essential to any predicting)
- artificial light (kills colour subleties and colour is a key factor for MIR)
- automatic white balancing in the machine evening out colour differences
- machined tools as subjects (it's easier to judge on natural objects, machined tools make all lenses look equally sharp)
- simple background (no objects in bg to evaluate)
- #2 has different focus points so direct comparison impossible

Based solely on the quality of the blur in the first image (without the other parameters described above), I'd say Mir=A - but it's more a hazard than an educated guess.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I don't see difference except the focus point changed between each shot. You really need a liveview Wink
How was the spaghetti and the wine ?
I don't have any of those lens so I guess
I prefer B=nikkor but would be happy with A=mir

I had to move the tripod slightly to try and equalize the slightly different field of view, and yes the focusing was a little out Wink

Both were excellent - Spaghetti with sinach, chickpeas, garlic and olive oil, dressed with parmesan and (sorry Orio) a Californian merlot.

As to liveview, if you can persuade my wife I need a D300...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
I suspect A is the MIR and B is the Nikkor.

so what do I win Richard? Wink

Smug satisfaction or tooth grinding despair Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It is very difficult to tell which is what, for a number of reasons:

- small resize (100% size is essential to any predicting)
- artificial light (kills colour subleties and colour is a key factor for MIR)
- automatic white balancing in the machine evening out colour differences
- machined tools as subjects (it's easier to judge on natural objects, machined tools make all lenses look equally sharp)
- simple background (no objects in bg to evaluate)
- #2 has different focus points so direct comparison impossible

Based solely on the quality of the blur in the first image (without the other parameters described above), I'd say Mir=A - but it's more a hazard than an educated guess.

-

Points taken, I'll bear them in mind for future comparisons. Both lenses are in my eyes superb performers anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:

Points taken, I'll bear them in mind for future comparisons. Both lenses are in my eyes superb performers anyway.

PLease note, I don't want to be picky or difficult - it's just that telling one lens from another is a very difficult sport, and for giving a choice that is reasoned and not simply casual, one needs to have the most possible information in the image.

100% size, colour fidelity (using fixed Kelvin value instead of AWB) and variety in the background (for both number of objects and distances) are the most helpful indicators.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

PLease note, I don't want to be picky or difficult - it's just that telling one lens from another is a very difficult sport, and for giving a choice that is reasoned and not simply casual, one needs to have the most possible information in the image.

100% size, colour fidelity (using fixed Kelvin value instead of AWB) and variety in the background (for both number of objects and distances) are the most helpful indicators.

Don't worry - I wasn't offended, I'm grateful for the advice, sorry if I came across short.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say yes A was the Mir24n...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the AWB the MIR shots seem warmer to me...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any lens comparison test should include a basic distortion test and corners performance (shot ot a brick wall or something flat and with vertical & horizontal lines) this is especially usefull for wide angle lenses Wink

Yesterday in the train, I did this test and I was shocked to see that a Takumar 55/2 had a very pronounced barrel distortion side by side an Helios-44-2 58/2 ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look again and again and I can not see any difference in the colouring. They seem identical to me. only difference is that the Nikkor photos are fractionally darker.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Mir does uncommonly well in the comparison, from what one can determine with the two shots. Remember the 35/2 nikkor is one of their more highly regarded lenses - I know I love mine. Then also - compare prices and do the value for money thing. Smile Smile

patrickh

PS down the road I am certainly going to try the Mir.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wanted to mean MIR photos are fractionally darker.