Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best lenses for infinity shooting, 100-150mm length?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Best lenses for infinity shooting, 100-150mm length? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm kinda disappointed with the performance of my 135mm lenses for shooting landscapes, and I have some great ones - Hexanon 3.2/135, Hexanon EE 3.5/135, Sonnar 4/135, Topcor RE Auto 3.5/135, Pentacon 2.8/135 etc...

I reckon what I need is a lens that is optimised for infinity performance.

Anyone got any ideas? Large format lens from Rodenstock, Schneider etc? Medium format such as Bronica 150mm, Hasselblad Sonnar 150mm?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm aware of one brand of lenses which are apparently optimised for infinity, but you'll shoot me for mentioning their name Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5, crop of a larger image:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lenses for infinity shooting, 100-150mm length? Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi folks

I'm kinda disappointed with the performance of my 135mm lenses for shooting landscapes, and I have some great ones - Hexanon 3.2/135, Hexanon EE 3.5/135, Sonnar 4/135, Topcor RE Auto 3.5/135, Pentacon 2.8/135 etc...

I reckon what I need is a lens that is optimised for infinity performance.

Anyone got any ideas? Large format lens from Rodenstock, Schneider etc? Medium format such as Bronica 150mm, Hasselblad Sonnar 150mm?

Huh? Most lenses are calculated at infinity. The exceptions (obviously) are macro lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure its the lens that's the problem ?
There are issues with infinity shooting that are independent of the optics.
Haze, heat shimmer, etc.
In the old days of aerial photography they always used yellow filters to cut down on haze problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Are you sure its the lens that's the problem ?
There are issues with infinity shooting that are independent of the optics.
Haze, heat shimmer, etc.
In the old days of aerial photography they always used yellow filters to cut down on haze problems.

I think this right answer to Ian, he is living in England, weather is rarely clear enough to quality landscape shoots. Filter perhaps help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the old Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

issue can also be aperture setting. we are in an 'open' aperture shooting craze at the moment. i know ian's a good photographer, so maybe this doesnt apply, but certainly you cant shoot landscapes with 135's at anything near open aperture. i typically use at least f8. in my testing of maybe a dozen lenses for this purpose i notice totally different performance at f8-11 from say 2.8-5.6.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planar 100/2 is one of the best landscape infinity lenses I've seen in that range. Sharper than the Planar 85/1.4? Most certainly at least as sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after having compared my lenses with the best lens click here, the differences of sharpness are small after F5.6
differences of color & rendering are big, but that doesn't play role for landscape

40D, in random order, Zuiko 135:3.5 - Tak 135:3.4 - Contax 135:2.8 - Leica
on my lcd, it is easy to find the Leica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to try a CPL, see if that helps with things. I tend to shoot landscapes at f11 or smaller.

Some shots from yesterday which had not great light to work with and some mist in the distance.

Topcor 5.6/200:

Tokina 4/100:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the cheap ones, the CZJ Sonnar 135 3.5 is the winner in terms of sharpness! sonnar 135 4.0 is a little only sharper but if my memory is right - it has some CAs(it's possible the 3.5 version to have the CA I can't remember now).
There was a thread in this forum about 135s, "war of the 135" or something there was 10+ lenses tested to shoot sculptures, opel astra and landscape. Sonnars were the best from the cheap ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I will have to try a CPL, see if that helps with things. I tend to shoot landscapes at f11 or smaller.

By all means try a PL as under the right conditions it'll give you more punch albeit with a 2 stops or so penalty but I'd be more inclined to go for the old 'f8 and be there' standby. By f11 and smaller, you're heading into diffraction territory and less sharpness.

Costs nothing to try...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

By all means try a PL as under the right conditions it'll give you more punch albeit with a 2 stops or so penalty but I'd be more inclined to go for the old 'f8 and be there' standby. By f11 and smaller, you're heading into diffraction territory and less sharpness.

Costs nothing to try...

It's true that a polarising filter can increase contrast and give a punchier image with SLIGHTLY better definition or 'sharpness' in the right circumstances.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, nearly everyone's first impulse when the results aren't satisfactory is to blame the equipment. I usually blame the photographer, especially when my own shots don't please, but check the gear just to make sure.

So, photographer, did you take the shots you posted handheld or from tripod? Lack of steadiness is a killer.

And, did you check to make sure that the lens is focused where you think is? I ask this because the shots you posted seem soft everywhere, not just a great distance. DoF should make most of the image sharp. And that raises another question. Does any of the lenses in question give you a satisfactorily sharp image at any aperture and distance? Does any of your other lenses give you good image quality on the body you used to take the shots you posted?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica R 180 Telyt APO was created for military use (naval surveillance). It is optimized for infinity; a bit longer than you bargained for but that's exactly what it was designed for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my technique is faulty, I use a tripod and take great care with focussing using the 14x assist on my NEX.

These shots are from yesterday with my Topcon 5.6/200, light was less than ideal.

Tokina 4/100:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple from today in better light with my Topcor 2.5/135, no PP or resizing, just RAW to JPG conversion in Photoshop CS5.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have crops for these ? Its hard to see the problem otherwise.

I can't believe the Topcor lenses are giving bad results.

Let me note again that you have incredible scenery over there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are crops for you Luis.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks somewhat like they aren't perfectly focused, but then I can't really see a spot thats in better focus.

What aperture did you use for these ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were both f22, I should try it at f8, see if it's sharper.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
By f11 and smaller, you're heading into diffraction territory and less sharpness.

+1 smaller aperture not always sharper. some lenses has sharpest aperture at F8 or even 5,6

How about the adapter? I have experience some lenses not hit infinity due adapter is too thick or to thin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the adapter is fine, here is a shot with a Pancolar 1.8/50 at f22 and the lens focused to infinity with the same adapter.

100% crop, unsharpened, no PP:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the two panoramas I shot with the Topcor 3.5/135 today: