Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How steady your hand is with NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: How steady your hand is with NEX? Reply with quote

I've heard mirrorless do not need image stabilization as much as DSLR. I wonder about longest exposure times that can be achieved shooting from hand with Nex (no blurred images)? 50mm lens? 135mm lens?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regularly shoot at 1/30 on a 50 to 55mm without too much problem if the subject is of course steady. Haven't paid attention for other focal lengths though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember correctly with Nex-3 i was using manual lenses on shutter speeds around 1/125 and higher in order to have sharp pics.
When using 'P' and set ISO to Auto the camera doesn't turn ISO up until the speed drops to 1/30 - don't know if this is fixed in later models.

With Nex in the dark you can use image stacking which works quite nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard mirrorless do not need image stabilization as much as DSLR

a dslr, in liveview mode, is a mirrorless
exactly like a full frame is also a crop
I have made a 3 euros loupe that I use for video
I can also use it for liveview photography
I could win a stop in low shutter speed
but I prefer to use the optical viewfinder

isn't my dslr sexy with my loupe Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
If i remember correctly with Nex-3 i was using manual lenses on shutter speeds around 1/125 and higher in order to have sharp pics.
This is certainly not good news. 1/30s would be better then my 1/60s with 5D but still not as nice as 1/15s with K10D (true i am also older and had few bottles of vine since then).

poilu wrote:
Quote:
I've heard mirrorless do not need image stabilization as much as DSLR

a dslr, in liveview mode, is a mirrorless...

I guess it has more to do with short flange distance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Regularly shoot at 1/30 on a 50 to 55mm without too much problem if the subject is of course steady. Haven't paid attention for other focal lengths though.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL and speed law is important.
I can shoot with 1/20 with Samyang 8/3,5. I cannot do it with 50mm lens without lend the cam on my body.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, 1/30s with a 50mm doesn't seem to be a problem.
That has surprised me, to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/13 at 50 mm every time if I've been coffee free for a day
Slower is a question of luck.

Being able to use an EVF instead of relying on a screen is a huge bonus.

But old age is catching up.
I used to scoff at tripod users.
Ah the arrogance when one is young.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/60 with a 50mm if I have nothing to lean on. Pentax (with shake reduction) is about two stops better (1/15).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nex has a shake reduction mode , in this mode camera makes a series of image and save only that where is no movement, if you really need this extreme condition try it, due fine high ISO I really doubt need to use very low speeds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nex has a shake reduction mode , in this mode camera makes a series of image and save only that where is no movement, if you really need this extreme condition try it, due fine high ISO I really doubt need to use very low speeds.

How do you use it? I tried it and it seems that you can't control ISO in that mode. I tried it inside with the standard 16/2.8 and it fired many shots at ISO6400 and 1/200 Evil or Very Mad Another useless feature...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True - it only works in JPEG and on fixed iso which is usually too high to get a decent results.
I think it merges those few high iso shots and reduces the noise a bit.

Riku wrote:
Attila wrote:

How do you use it? I tried it and it seems that you can't control ISO in that mode. I tried it inside with the standard 16/2.8 and it fired many shots at ISO6400 and 1/200 Evil or Very Mad Another useless feature...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a few times mostly a family snap shoots inside house , it was okay to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the lack of bracing the camera against the forehead as a classic camera (rangefinder or DSRL) reduces the chance to use theoretical advantage of vibration free in a mirrorless . Bracing the camera against the abdomen with the LCD flipped up can help to compensate (in fact this is the way that I use my Nex3) but I don't find much of advantage in terms of going down with the shutter speed.In fact I generally try to keep the Shutter speed at 1/focal length .
I still think that a stabilised sensor would be desirable on these cameras .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the great versatility of how to hold a NEX also makes for many stable positions, if on the lap or pressed to the abdomen when using LCD. The EVF of the NEX5N tilted up drops the camera lower so that my upper arms can be pressed against the sides of my chest, makes the camera even more stable than if it was lifted up to eyelevel.

I have been surprised how long shutter speed I can get sharp photos with, with a 50mm down to 1/15 sec, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-m-f1-7-50mm-wide-open-on-nex5n-t47820.html

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
the great versatility of how to hold a NEX also makes for many stable positions, if on the lap or pressed to the abdomen when using LCD. The EVF of the NEX5N tilted up drops the camera lower so that my upper arms can be pressed against the sides of my chest, makes the camera even more stable than if it was lifted up to eyelevel.

I have been surprised how long shutter speed I can get sharp photos with, with a 50mm down to 1/15 sec, see: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-m-f1-7-50mm-wide-open-on-nex5n-t47820.html

This is my experience as well, the whole way of holding and using the camera is easier than the bulk of my Pentax K10 ( still away for repair ! )
I also tension the strap around my neck sometimes, which helps a lot especially if I'm leaning against something as well. The NEX is also so much easier to hold against something like a tree or signpost, or place on a low wall or the top of a rubbish bin.

I rarely leave home without a monopod as well, I have it hanging from my belt so it's no problem to carry around, and that's saved many slow shots.

I've got a much higher hit rate of lower speed shots with the NEX because it's just so much easier.