Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ansco Super Memar f.2 Solagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Ansco Super Memar f.2 Solagon Reply with quote

This ad from 1956 holiday season, plus some mentions here...

Ansco cameras 1956 by Nesster, on Flickr

And a chance look on the bay, nobody else was bidding...

Ansco Super Memar f.2 Solagon by Nesster, on Flickr

Ansco Super Memar f.2 by Nesster, on Flickr

This is an EVS camera where re-setting the exposure value is a bit of a pain, you have to push in the aperture ring to change it, and turn the camera on its side to see the EVS number... but it has the Solagon 6 element lens, everything seems to be working... save the rf, which is a bit off vertically, and possibly slightly long in close focus. But not bad for a camera a year older than me.

Torture test of the rf: wide open, as close as it can focus, I thought I was focusing on Mitten's eyes... maybe I wasn't, or maybe the focus is a bit long - most of the other shots had her paws and shoulders in great focus, but not her face.

Super Mitten Memar by Nesster, on Flickr

Overall sharpness is good in daylight though

alone, we may contain all by Nesster, on Flickr

The shutter's quiet and the camera seems pretty stable for slow shutter shooting - this is at 1/30, the 1/15 shot I tried I didn't manage.

CVS scans of Memories 200 film (thanks, Bill!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice but the cat looks a funny colour, like there is too much red.

I like these kind of cameras, however, the rf will go out of whack if you drop them, not too hard to adjust but a bit fiddly, maybe butkus.org has the manual for this model?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice camera in good condition with a fine lens on it.
Looks as more than a funny toy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality seems excellent!
The camera on the outside bears some vague resemblance with the Agfa Super Silette.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, it *is* the Super Silette rebranded for the US. And even if the body were not identical, the Solagon would be a giveaway as it's Agfa's fast double gauss lens.

I have the same camera branded as Agfa, bought it from Carsten one or two years ago. Mine had the shutter sticking at low speeds, I cleaned it and it works great, except for the self timer which tends to jam. I need to open it again before being able to use it reliably.

If the rf is off, you can calibrate it pretty easily. It's usually off after 50 or 60 years of bouncing around. It's worth doing, as the rf patch on the Agfas is one of the best in cameras of this period, very visible and contrasty.

Edit: if your rf is off vertically then you can't trust it. You definitely need to register it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info re the rf - do you have a link to instructions on how to do the alignment?

The Agfa you got from Carsten was one of the reasons why when I saw this sitting on ebay I figured I'd take a chance. The lens quality is good and the camera feels good to shoot with as well, but that EVS is a pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi, I'll try to pick up my camera when I get back tonight and remember how it's done. I don't think the alignment screws are exposed, but it was some time ago and I don't remember anything. Smile

Worst case I'll open the top and post pictures on how to realign it, it's a simple enough process.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, of course I google it and see Rick Oleson has a drawing, it looks like the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the top off Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solagon is one of the top quality lenses. Very nice results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
The Solagon is one of the top quality lenses. Very nice results.

We see it's evidence , another new camera to me. Congrats Jusi!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi if rick oleson's diagram is not enough just ask, and I'll find the time to do the same procedure on mine and take pics. Opening the top seems complex but is pretty straightforward, just be careful as Rick notes to reverse the knobs when you lift them, so you won't have to figure out which small bit goes where when reassembling. Other than that it's just a couple of screws.

As for rf alingnment, the usual procedure is to align at infinity with the lens hard against the infinity stop, vertical first and then horizontal. If you are picky you can then check focus at 1.5m with a ground glass, but usually it's not necessary.

When you are done aligning, put one drop of nail varnish on each of the alignment screws, so that the rf won't drift off by itself.

Edit: while you have the top open give the vf a good clean, it makes a lot of difference. You can clean everything except the semitransparent mirror, the one right in front of the eyepiece which on older cameras is made by depositing vapours, which come off even by looking at them too hard. Smile

The side of the mirror facing forward should be safe to clean, but if in doubt leave it alone. The other mirror in front of the rf window is safe to clean, as are all the lenses and glass surfaces.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post move woes continue: I can't find batteries nor remember what camera I might have moved them to, so e.g Konica Auto S2 was out of consideration... I've misplaced Contessa and can't seem to locate her. I'm not yet set up to develop... so to the rescue, this camera with its solagon! And a good rescue too, the lens is right up there with the redP Jupiters for the Kiev...

all with Fuji Xtra 400

Newport dock carts by Nesster, on Flickr

Untitled by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting I should see this article today. I just got an Ansco Memar a couple weeks ago and today ran it through its first roll. I'll develop it this weekend and blog about ti next week. It's a nice light camera. Feels very solid. Mine has an f3.5 lens, with some dirt between the elements, but everything seems to function fine. I assume yours was made by Agfa in Germany for Ansco, correct?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. The last one is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the Super Memar = Agfa Super Silette. Good luck with yours, I look forward to seeing pics!

Thanks = unfortunately that building + reflection will likely feature often in my shots, being across the street from my office building

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Super Memars on the 'bay are Apotar-lensed, very lucky of you
to find a Solagon version.