Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three 135mm lenses compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Three 135mm lenses compared Reply with quote

I decided to test three of my many 135mm lenses as I'm selling off all but the best. All images exactly as they came out of my camera (NEX-3).

Lens A:

f2.8:

f4:

f5.6:

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

f2.8:

f4:

f5.6

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

f2.8

f4:

f5.6

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens B:

f2.8:

f4:

f5.6

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

f2.8

f4:

f5.6

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

f2.8

f4:

f5.6:

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens C:

f4:

f5.6:

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

f4:

f5.6

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

f4:

f5.6

f8:

f11:

f16:

f22:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big work. But which are they? Otherwise i think you could easily skip all shots above F11.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll tell you what three lenses they are but not which is which, see if people can guess.

Pentacon preset M42

Auto-Exaktar (Samyang) M42

Jupiter-11A M42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you already put them in correct order Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the lenses and sell the NEX Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I think you already put them in correct order Smile.

Correct.

I think the Pentacon is the best of the 3 although the J11A and Samyang are not bad either, the J11A is pretty sharp as you would expect from a Sonnar. The Samyang is pretty good for a cheapo lens. I am keeping the Pentacon for sure, might sell the other two. I have a dozen more 135s as well, can't keep em all!

martinsmith99 wrote:
Keep the lenses and sell the NEX Laughing

Never! I love my NEX, just a shame it's so plasticky and fragile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes, which I freely admit aren't a great judge of lenses, I like the Jupiter. The Samyang doesn't seem to have anything 'extra' over an average lens. The Jupiter is slow, but in it's good zone it shines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like the Jupiter too, looks great to my eyes and pretty sharp even wide open.

I agree about the Samyang, it's nothing special but it does it's job competently with good sharpness.

It's pretty hard to decide what 135s to keep and which to sell, I have loads more of them and there are no obvious candidates for disposal (aside from that damn awful Vivitar 2.3/135 that is).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ii tried processing those images and for me its 3,1,2 but 3 has better microcontrast giving better 3d when processed correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the feedback Eddie, the J11A really surprises me how good it is, I think I'll keep it.

It's so hard to whittle down my 135s as I have quite a few really good ones - Three different Konicas, a Steinheil, three different Pentacons, a Zeiss, the J11a, a Topcon RE and a few more....

I have sold the Vivitar 2.3/135 as it was pretty crap compared to the others and a very nice early M39 J11 is also off to a good home due to having had a conversion to an unusual mount and needing restoring to M39 so thats two down at least...

Worst of it is I rarely used anything longer than 50mm....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I processed three of the J11A shots and to my eyes they look pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thats much better, as i said the Jupiter is a stunning little lens, and for what it fetches it's hardly worth getting rid of it for such a high quality lens, use it on extension bellows and its also amazing.
I took a whole series on the Pickering war festival with mine and pretty much every one was outstanding with great detail, makes a fab portrait lens in my eyes.
I find that a good F4 lens is better than a poor F2.8 lens and i dont need the speed as mostly where i am shooting i can use it at that speed.
And notice how this lens is so much better now that you can focus it correctly.
As i recall you discarded it as junk on the Canon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow......what a difference a bit of processing makes. That IS a good lens. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, all I did was Auto Tone in Photoshop and then some sharpening.

That 10D I had was incapable of producing a sharp image so all my results from it are to be ignored, hence I have to reassess all my lenses on a decent camera.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Photoshop, version 7 I think, but I hardly use it, for what I do I use Elements 6, which is now so old it's free on the internet.
I very rarely bother messing with pictures that need a lot of saving, but I have no problem with a bit of minor adjustment, so I always use as my first try the 'Auto' colour correction, contrast and levels in Elements, and generally I find it difficult to beat them.
I also use the adjustments in Faststone, they are quick and easy and do a great job, and as I use Faststone as my preferred viewer it's simple to do minor adjustments.
I think it's something that we have to do on some lenses, with my two favourites - the Pentacon 30 I turn down the reds, and the Schacht 100, I boost all the colours. Then I see the sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find with most lenses some correction is needed, even the best I have such as the Hexanon 3.5/28 I have to play around a little, it doesn't need much contrast adjustment of colour adjustment, just fine tweaks. Auto Tone in Photoshop tends to work great for most shots, it's mostly my HDR shots I have to play around with to get colours and contrast just right, but I have developed a 'secret formula' for my HDR work that I'm not going to reveal all the details of as it took me a long time to work it out and I want to keep it as my own unique 'look'. It's very time consuming to process HDR pictures the way I do, especially the panoramas made from many shots stitched.

The thing that annoys me is that damn piece of crap 10D held me back so much, as soon as I got a NEX my work improved by leaps and bounds overnight. Maybe my 10D was faulty in some way but it was incapable of making a sharp shot and I tried a lot of lenses with it, definitely the camera at fault.