Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica FX2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Praktica FX2 Reply with quote

I found this beauty in a local shop and it's in amazing condition, looks like it has hardly ever been used and everything seems fully working, it fires on all shutter speeds and I can't find any pinholes in the shutter curtains. The Tessar that came with it is in perfect shape too.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. I like the old Prakticas; I own a Nova, a iv and a Super TL.

How are you liking the finder?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the finder is not bad, but the metal is very sharp on the edges.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had nice light today so I quickly shot a roll through the FX2. To my amazement, everything works perfectly, even the film counter, and I found it really fun to use, taking readings with my old Weston Master II (I remembered how much I love that old thing) and transferring the setting to the camera then taking my time to properly compose the shot. Only thing I wasn't so keen on was the focus screen, hard to tell when you had correct focus, but as i was shooting at f8 and f11 it wasn't a big issue.

I'll post the scans tomorrow, fingers crossed I didn't bugger it up!

Gotta say, for a 60 year old camera, this is a joy to use and I had a lot of fun, been getting a bit bored of shooting with my NEX lately but the session with the FX2 rekindled my enthusiasm!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the SLR cameras I have, I have more fun and get more satisfaction with the Zenit E and Praktica Nova (using Sunny 16 rule) than any of the "higher quality" ones. Looking forward to seeing your first results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Zenit E and Nova, I like em both, this one has a similar feel.

Here are the results, camera works fine, but my photo skills are somewhat lacking:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all, better processing , fixed holes on curtain will help next time to get more better results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just pleased the camera works properly and my Weston meter is accurate, I had loads of fun shooting these, it inspires me to try all my other old cameras now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
it inspires me to try all my other old cameras now.

Welcome back from the Dark Side Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FX2, it's a great camera for street photography.
The only drawback is that the mirror is really noisy. But in a trafficked street it often still goes unnoticed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you love the feel and heft of real steel ! I have the FX 3. Which is the same camera. Mine is nicknamed the "Rat Trap" for the sound it makes on release Wink. The nice thing is that on a tripod you can just press the release until the mirror releases then wait a second and press a little farther and the shutter will fire Wink. To this day it makes me smile when I use it .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the FX2 is great for street photography, people just ignore you in a way they don't if they see you with a modern camera, probably they don't realise these old cameras will capture them in just the same clarity. Look at #12, they weren't the slightest bit bothered I was stood right behind them with the FX2.

I agree, the shutter and mirror are both very loud, the mirror makes a 'plop' and the shutter makes a 'clonk', I can understand why the 'rat trap' nickname!

Today I'm going to shoot my new Zorki-6 with Industar 26-M red P, again using the Weston meter as it seems to be pretty accurate from the FX2 results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice camera Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fine looking camera. Can you use it at waist level with that viewfinder or do you need it closer to the eye ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine for critical focus I flip down the magnifier and hold it about 8-12 inches from my eye then hold it at waist level and use the open finder for composition . Of course on the street I just zone focus and use the open finder for comp only . I'm curious as to how Ian and Orio find it ? It's not a Pentax MX finder brightness wise Wink. And taking a photo in portrait orientation will illicit some funny looks Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have poor eyesight so I found it easier to have it up close to my face, focusing on the screen is very difficult so I also used zone focus, as I was shooting at f8, f11 and f16 as the film was 200ASA and it was very sunny, the dof made up for any focus errors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
Of course on the street I just zone focus and use the open finder for comp only . I'm curious as to how Ian and Orio find it ? It's not a Pentax MX finder brightness wise Wink. And taking a photo in portrait orientation will illicit some funny looks Smile

Laughing
Like you said - it's basically a point and shoot camera, with the added important advantage of being able to select the optics.
It's not the camera that I would ever use for any critical focusing task.
But for 20 Euros (what I paid for it) I could not ask for more Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FX series is great. I've always wanted one with the auto aperture plunger though. Unfortunately my FX which has worked great for years (and only cost me $1) has suddenly stopped working properly - the mirror does lower all the way. I haven't yet torn into it deep enough to figure out the problem.