Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Image stabilisation and MF Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Image stabilisation and MF Lenses Reply with quote

That is a feature that I was very happy to use with the compacts or bridges that I used (G9 , FZ20) and that I clearly miss on my EOS 400D and NEX 3 .
What is your experience using such cameras with MF Lenses?
I played once with the EP-L 1 of a friend and I was pleased with the result the lens was a Lumix 20/1.7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the IS of my Pentax has helped me a lot!
I routinely use 1/10 sec. with a 50mm mounted and can go a longer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have a choice, then I much prefer a camera with excellent high ISO performance (D3, D700, 5D2, NEX5N/C3) as you can fire at higher shutter speed in this way and not miss an action shot.

Having said this, I think it would be great to have both options. I think the next Sony FF will achieve this goal. I did have an E-510, and for a while I was able to take handheld shots for telephoto longer than 400mm!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
If I have a choice, then I much prefer a camera with excellent high ISO performance (D3, D700, 5D2, NEX5N/C3) as you can fire at higher shutter speed in this way and not miss an action shot.

Having said this, I think it would be great to have both options. I think the next Sony FF will achieve this goal. I did have an E-510, and for a while I was able to take handheld shots for telephoto longer than 400mm!

+1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

Pentax K-5 achieves this ever since. It still outscores at least NEX5N/C3, even NEX7 at high ISO ( DoXMark ) and it has IS
( even my lowly K-x is not all that far behind )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like one on my Nex3 !
I had to choose for a small camera between nex 3 and epl-1 .I choosed the nex because its high iso performance , but still lusting about a stabilised sensor ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the photographer's work and habits.
Photographers who like to go around photographing landscapes or macros and don't want to carry a tripod
surely will value IS more.
Photographers like me, who like to photograph action, value a better high ISO more, because IS does not
stop the subject's motion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
I'd like one on my Nex3 !
I had to choose for a small camera between nex 3 and epl-1 .I choosed the nex because its high iso performance , but still lusting about a stabilised sensor ...

since 2 weeks I have a NEX5N, I generally hold it near to the body, with long exposure times even more so. This must help stabilizing.
I will have to see which camera I will prefer for low light, my Pentax K-x or the NEX5N.
At an event, a restaurant, bar, the 5N should have the edge but on a night's walk I may take the K-x
The K-x and NEX3 have about equal high ISO performance, overall score at DoXMark of K-x is higher and it has IS
K-5 tops 5N at high ISO and has IS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony gave me 1 stop extra for lenses longer than 300mm, and 2-2.5 stops for shorter lengths e.g. 50mm. The Pentax system gives me about 2 stops for longer lenses and about 2-2.5 stops for short lengths. Not bad really!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the numbers on DxOMark ... It's a shame that the only small camera with IS (Oly Pen) has such deceiving results .The new Pentaxes are great but I like the tilting lifeview screen and the small size of the Nex and the capability of receiving all types of mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

The K-x and NEX3 have about equal high ISO performance, overall score at DoXMark of K-x is higher and it has IS

I am surprised that the two have similar high ISO performance, I have found the high ISO shots with the NEX 3 to be quite ugly so far and far off the very good results that I used to get with the K-x. The K-5 is in a different league though, not just due to noise but also preservation at dynamic range at higher ISO. This being said I do like to use ISO 80 on it wherever possible to really get the most out of the camera.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
kuuan wrote:

I am surprised that the two have similar high ISO performance, I have found the high ISO shots with the NEX 3 to be quite ugly so far and far off the very good results that I used to get with the K-x. The K-5 is in a different league though, not just due to noise but also preservation at dynamic range at higher ISO. This being said I do like to use ISO 80 on it wherever possible to really get the most out of the camera.

thank you very much for your personal account William, I don't know the NEX3 and was purely referring to scores.
I am pleased with the high ISO performance of the K-x, that was not a reason for getting the 5N

don't make me lust after the K-5 now Embarassed
eh..it's viewfinder..must be good Idea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the IS is more important than the high iso - i barely shoot over iso 800.
For comparable shots on Pen you can do on 1/10 and on Nex you will need at least 1/50 - so there goes the high iso 'advantage'.
The lack of IBIS was one of the reasons to dump the Nex after almost an year of use.
But don't blame me i'm just a PEN addict. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Pentax K-5 achieves this ever since. It still outscores at least NEX5N/C3, even NEX7 at high ISO ( DoXMark ) and it has IS

True!!

Super at high ISO. For example (below). It is a big pity Pentax is still holding back on releasing a full frame or compact mirrorless body with K5 sensor + image processing engine Wink
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/964796
http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2010/11/pentax-k5-versus-nikon-d7000-great-low.html
http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2011/01/low-light-comparison-of-canon-60d-nikon.html
http://www.neutralday.com/pentax-k-5-vs-nikon-d7000-vs-canon-eos-7d-iso-comparison/
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/02/04/iso-torture-test-pentax-k-5-vs-nikon-d7000-which-is-better-comparison/

Orio wrote:
Photographers who like to go around photographing landscapes or macros and don't want to carry a tripod
Photographers like me, who like to photograph action, value a better high ISO more, because IS does not

+1

Last edited by stingOM on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Certainly I find the IS useful for slow/static night scenes where a tripod is not quick enough to react as it is preferable not to push the ISO too far unless really necessary. However I have found that there is no substitute for a tripod when aiming for big depth of field and the high dynamic range that low ISOs give except in ISO 80 weather. Even bumping the ISO up a tiny bit from the base you start to see the dynamic range slowly go down and lose that "magic" quality.

kuuan wrote:

You know that you want one. The viewfinder is very good although nothing on the MX, 100% coverage and 92% magnification. I did like my K-x but I feel a lot more comfortable with the K-5, it's built a lot better and in a different class ergonomically. There's also a lot more margin for error as it's easier to recover from under/over exposure with it and it seems to give a lot more contrast and colour to any lens that you put on it including the "M" series. Put the 50/1.4 on and you'll notice that it's a perfect match and is balanced beautifully. Another thing to consider is the dynamic range, if you look on DXO mark it still has the highest DR score out of anything after over a year and it's certainly noticeable.

stingOM wrote:

Super at high ISO. For example (below). It is a big pity Pentax is still holding back on releasing a full frame or compact mirrorless body with K5 sensor + image processing engine Wink

Yep, I agree (and so do the many PentaxForums threads) that a full frame Pentax with a similar sensor to the K-5 and the same design ethos would be a truly phenomenal camera but I don't think they are in the position to commit themselves to it and sadly the brand is not recognised for producing the impressive products that it is doing at the moment. A mirrorless camera with a properly sized sensor and a halfway sensible price wouldn't go amiss either although if the K-mount were used it would have to be quite thick. NEX with an adapter seems a good compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:

kuuan wrote:

You know that you want one. The viewfinder is very good although nothing on the MX, 100% coverage and 92% magnification. I did like my K-x but I feel a lot more comfortable with the K-5, it's built a lot better and in a different class ergonomically. There's also a lot more margin for error as it's easier to recover from under/over exposure with it and it seems to give a lot more contrast and colour to any lens that you put on it including the "M" series. Put the 50/1.4 on and you'll notice that it's a perfect match and is balanced beautifully. Another thing to consider is the dynamic range, if you look on DXO mark it still has the highest DR score out of anything after over a year and it's certainly noticeable.

William, I did not read all that Wink

William wrote:

stingOM wrote:

Yep, I agree (and so do the many PentaxForums threads) that a full frame Pentax with a similar sensor to the K-5 and the same design ethos would be a truly phenomenal camera but I don't think they are in the position to commit themselves to it and sadly the brand is not recognised for producing the impressive products that it is doing at the moment. A mirrorless camera with a properly sized sensor and a halfway sensible price wouldn't go amiss either although if the K-mount were used it would have to be quite thick. NEX with an adapter seems a good compromise.

Excused those who don't know much about Pentax, but not those who fail to recognize Pentax against even their own better knowledge Wink
There is no mirrorless with APS-C sensor and image stabilization yet, Ricoh Pentax could surprise us here.
For a FF mirrorless, besides M9, and / or a FF Pentax I am afraid we still must wait quite a while

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for that mirrorless stabilised 1.5 crop body . I hope Pentax hear this Laughing
Until then ,I have to resist not buying a EPL-1 for 160 E !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, if you look at the graphs for the k-x you will see that ISO3200 isn't much worse than ISO 1600, and ISO 6400 isn't too bad either. This is because the RAW files have noise reduction applied Wink Which is why results look better than that of the Nex (potentially).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Just for info, if you look at the graphs for the k-x you will see that ISO3200 isn't much worse than ISO 1600, and ISO 6400 isn't too bad either. This is because the RAW files have noise reduction applied Wink Which is why results look better than that of the Nex (potentially).

Yes ,I saw the results ,stunning , indeed , but I don't want a reflex. Even the K-x is too bulky for me . I want something to replace the g9 for the moments when I need a small camera . The nex plus 18-55 or some MF is also sometimes bulky .I'd like a Sony E mount 25mm/2 or 2,8 for it. The 16mm seems to me too wide for all purposes. (something pocketable ,without photobag)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Nex-7 with Zeiss 24/1.8 T* then Wink

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/9/16/sony_zeiss_24mm_F1p8_samples

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great , but not pancake ! Laughing Laughing Laughing The NEX 3 is enough for me for now .
But thanks for the link , super lens ! and fast !!!
Not for these times ,such an investment is not what I need Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought my first dslr. A canon 1100d which is one of the cheapest dslr in the market. Among other reasons, I picked canon because everybody was saying wonders about the two cheapo canon 18-55 and 55-250. Everybody praises the IS like it's a game changer but now that I used the camera (and the lens obviously) quite a bit, I'm starting to change my opinion about IS.

Shooting at 1/10 hand held... mmm with or without IS, I'm not really expecting much from such pictures. One thing that I don't like is using the flash, but still, if I have to choose between using a flash of such slow shutter speed, I'll use the flash every time.
Basically the IS is too much of a hack for me to rely on. If camera shake becomes an issue I much prefer to resource to other ways of overcoming it. When it comes to my preference the IS comes in the last place, after tripod and/or a remote shutter.

Speaking of which, tripods and remotes have became ridiculously cheap these days.

I've been using an old OM zuiko 50mm f1.8 and I am yet to see a picture where the IS would help. If there's one thing that modern cheap dslr lack for manual lens is proper focusing screens and view finders.

That said, now that I know a bit more about the current market offer of photography gear, I would buy a pentax instead. Not that it would be the main reason, but IS in the body would still be a decision factor, even though I'm increasingly skeptical about it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Now that's really strange... K5 is based on the same Sony sensor also met in Nex-C3, A55, A580, D7000, D5100. Compared with any DSLR (not DSLT) K5 scores a bit higher due to higher Dynamic Range (ISO-80).
Nex-5N has a redesigned sensor, and from the results I've seen it surpasses all the cameras mentioned, as for DXO, I don't really trust the synthetic scores the provide...

Dpreview has a handy tool to pixel peep stuff - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex7/page26.asp