Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

About using digital cameras to compare lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing!
the colours of a lens depend by the type of the used film
some slide can give you green/blue more saturated
other slide can give you neutral results.
the saturation of colours depend also by the lens (SC, MC... coating, number of elements, sharpness..it affects less)
if you use the 5d2 with wb -> the right °K and picture style -> neutral, you can verify the reproduction of the colours from many lenses.
so you can label: this lens is more cold than this other or this lens is more warm than this other etc.
this is important: when you shot cr2, the saturation for all colours must be set to neutral (0); no colours enhanced.
there are some lenses that have a fixed colours dominants and these influence the colours in the shot (film and digital)
example: using a lens with a green cast on a slide with enhanced green/blue, the green will be more saturated.
some canon zooms for example tend to warm the shot (colour of the coating)
a lens (with 0 colours dominants) that can saturate the colours, will always saturate the shot with any type of light...and this result will be more visible on saturated slide
a lens can't have variations of colours ... instead a film does it
if you notice it (digital), probably the AWB is the cause.
i found that my Zeiss (1.4/50) produces photos with more saturation than my Canon 1.8/50.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
one thing!
the colours of a lens depend by the type of the used film
some slide can give you green/blue more saturated
other slide can give you neutral results.
the saturation of colours depend also by the lens (SC, MC... coating, number of elements, sharpness..it affects less)
if you use the 5d2 with wb -> the right °K and picture style -> neutral, you can verify the reproduction of the colours from many lenses.
so you can label: this lens is more cold than this other or this lens is more warm than this other etc.
this is important: when you shot cr2, the saturation for all colours must be set to neutral (0); no colours enhanced.
there are some lenses that have a fixed colours dominants and these influence the colours in the shot (film and digital)
example: using a lens with a green cast on a slide with enhanced green/blue, the green will be more saturated.
some canon zooms for example tend to warm the shot (colour of the coating)
a lens (with 0 colours dominants) that can saturate the colours, will always saturate the shot with any type of light...and this result will be more visible on saturated slide
a lens can't have variations of colours ... instead a film does it
if you notice it (digital), probably the AWB is the cause.
i found that my Zeiss (1.4/50) produces photos with more saturation than my Canon 1.8/50.

Nothing of what you wrote has anything to do with what was discussed in the thread you posted it in.
So I separated it into another thread.
Please make sure that your postings are in topic with the thread from now on.
Next time I will simply delete postings that are completely off topic from the thread they are posted into.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors come from light reflecting off materials.
Film reacts to light.
Some lenses are more contrasty and more saturated.

Saying that "with any type of light" is kinda awful.
Lets say you have a candle. Then put a colorchart next to it. Shoot onto film. See how saturated that will be...

And if you want to be clinically correct about "About using digital cameras to compare lenses", then you must understand, that the WB isnt the only thing. You got anti aliasing, compressing of data, sensor type...

I myself dont find the idea of this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

+10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OP meant to post in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/standardization-of-testing-settings-on-5d-mkii-t44211.html

attempt to standardize image requirements for threads comparing color-rendering of various lenses...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone in another topic wrote this:

It's really the colours. For the first time I really have the impression that it's film and not digital. I was really tempted to call the thread "Kodachrome in a lens"

again... there are picture style that emulate the type of the film...i don't think that you can emulate the type of film with a lens!
a lens can have a colour dominant (example green cast) that influence all colours! example: some leica-r.
but a lens can't have green and blue more saturated...the Planar 1.4/50 C/Y is neutral but saturates all colours more than Planar 1.7/50.
the film instead can have some colours dominants ....for example some fuji.

Joosep wrote:

my initial answer was for another topic...