Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev and J12 focus misalignment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Kiev and J12 focus misalignment Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I've got myself almost mint Kiev RF with Jupiter 8M.
Later on i got Jupiter-12 for it.

The first film from the J12 looks very much out of focus. I have only one picture which looks OK and it is because the lens was stopped down. For me it looks like the lens focuses closer than expected, for example instead of 1m if focuses at 30 cm.

#1 - Here for example the focus should be on the river not on the leaves

#2 And this is from close distance should be on the face instead on the bottle.

The internal rangefinder of the Kiev looks correct as it measures the distance properly ( at distance 2m it shows 2m on lens scale).
I guess that the J8 also focuses fine.

So I'm thinking the problem is in J12. I don't have experience with it and I'm wondering is there any special way of mounting it to the body?
Or is it possible that the lens is not properly aligned to the scale markings?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost impossible to attach a Contax mount lens so drastically wrong that it has such a considerable focus error. But it could be either a misaligned lens or a misaligned outer mount/camera front - you'll have to send in both, or try with another lens or body to figure out which one is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lens focusing at all? The point of intended focus in those pictures is dramatically different, but the actual focus seems about the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have bad luck really, I bought many of them all are works trouble free

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not need to use lens scale, once mounted the lens should be coupled with the rangefinder.
I would have said that the rangefinder needs regulation, but if you say that it focuses fine with the J8, then
it must be a problem with the J12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the J12 focuses .. at lest it moves his back element for 3-4 mm when i turn the focus ring.

I will check it with the technician here, maybe the lens is not aligned.
Very common for soviet manufacturing, especially if it was a friday build Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Looks like the J12 focuses .. at lest it moves his back element for 3-4 mm when i turn the focus ring.

I will check it with the technician here, maybe the lens is not aligned.
Very common for soviet manufacturing, especially if it was a friday build Smile

I guess too Wink especially if no shows sign of usage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like new in a box and with paper Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the distance scale of the helicoid show good figures against some known distance. It is very accurate usually between 1 and 2 meters. (note that the distance is from film plane, not helicoid)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
It's like new in a box and with paper Wink

Bingo factory defected, worth to fix it by an expert technician, usually just a simple dismantle and assembly well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know the mounting of the J12 is fiddly, it took me a while to figure it out and to get it seated properly. I'm thinking if you haven't managed to seat the lens in all the way the mismatch may be with the focus coupling cam in the camera.

After some work here's how mine looks mounted (and I'm not about to un-mount it any time soon! Laughing ) Note where the lens clip is relative to the rest - it should be approximately where I have it, give or take a bit.

Canon Universal Finder, Kiev 4, Jupiter-12 by Nesster, on Flickr

ps. just a thought that occurred to me - make sure both lens and camera are set to infinity before mounting the lens

Last edited by Nesster on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handsome combo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the camera down. Focus on something with the rf system. Then measure it in real-life and compare to the numbers on the lens.
This will tell you if the lens is off, or the rf system. (Most likely the rf, which can be modified at home).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
(Most likely the rf, which can be modified at home).

I also thought about the RF, but he reports that the Jupiter-8 focuses correctly,
so it must be the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I do know the mounting of the J12 is fiddly, it took me a while to figure it out and to get it seated properly. I'm thinking if you haven't managed to seat the lens in all the way the mismatch may be with the focus coupling cam in the camera.

It is possible to jam the lens against the internal mount - but in this case the rangefinder, the lens or both would be stuck. If the barrel can be turned without force and the rangefinder moves in concert with it (and matching the on-barrel metre distances), the lens seems to be correctly seated.