Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar 50mm T* f1.7 or Zuiko 50mm OM f1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Planar 50mm T* f1.7 or Zuiko 50mm OM f1.4? Reply with quote

Which one do you prefer?
Wide open are sharp?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend the Planar 1.7/50 if the serial number begins with 8, because they have superior sharpness.
Not so if the serial number begins with 5,6 or 7, in that case I'd take the Oly because it's faster and about the same price,
and sharpness will not differ much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about olympus... normal version or MC? There's much difference in sharpness and constrast?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
And about olympus... normal version or MC? There's much difference in sharpness and constrast?

Unless there are other factors against it which I ignore (I am not a Oly expert)
a multi-coated lens is always preferable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Zuiko 1.4/50 is the one with NMC coating and it starts at s/n 1.100.000 .

MC is excellent too.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand...best one is no MC? The one with "G-Zuiko" written? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
I don't understand...best one is no MC? The one with "G-Zuiko" written? Thanks again.

The last version of 1.4/50 has no MC writen on it but it's a Multi Coated of course Wink

Single Coated= up to S/n~1,000,000
MC(indicated)=S/n1,000,000 up to s/n1,100,000
Last version (No MC writen on the lens , NMC coated)= >1,100,000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok...and where serial number is written?
And about single coated is it a good lens? How much a good price?
Also for you better choice of Planar 50mm T* 1.7? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial for zuiko 50mm 1.4 is on the front ring:
http://olypedia.de/Zuiko_Auto-S_1:1%2C4/50_mm
(if you can read german, else use google translate)
It also confirms Keysersoze27's observation on the serials, according to this website:
NMC: s/n 1100000+ is best at center somewhat weaker at corners than MC (has Zuiko and japan on front ring)
MC: s/n 1000000 to 1100000 is better at edges and somewhat less in the center than NMC (has Zuiko and MC, but not japan on front ring)
SC: s/n until 1000000 is 'worst' performer (with G.Zuiko, no japan or MC on front ring)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks...but G.Zuiko first edition is not a good and sharp lens?
Wide open it's good or not?Smile
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Ok, thanks...but G.Zuiko first edition is not a good and sharp lens?
Wide open it's good or not?Smile
Thanks

Hello "sinner79" - don't forget that we are "splitting hairs" here. Although some variants of some lenses show improvements of one sort or another, all the standard lenses from the main makers (in ABC order - Canon, Leitz, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Yashica, Zeiss) since the 1960s have been very, very good indeed. If you want to take pictures for pleasure rather than conducting pixel-peeping lens tests, then you'll be pleased with them all. In my opinion, of course Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!You are right!Smile But I'm asking, because I've found a 50mm G.Zuiko first edition in good condition (only some small front lens marks), at 90 euro with EOS adapter included. Do you suggest to take it, or wait and taking something better?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it is a bad lens, however i dont have direct experience with that version, i have the NMC version.

As far as price goes, some of the local stores here do about 100 euros for the zuiko.
If the serials on the photos are correct one of them is MC (however has some haze) the rest SC and clean except for some dust, al mechanically and optically good, no scratches. I believe i also saw 125 for one of the MC in better state.
If you are lucky you can get them cheaper, I got mine for 30 euros, however it has a sticky aperture and some internal haze.

Same shops have three 1.7 planars together, all 6******, for 150 euros.

Even with haze my zuiko is a very nice lens in my view, however if you look for wide open sharpness, definitely check for haze (flashlight test).
I suspect that the haze causes mine to glow like crazy wide open, however it makes for wonderfull bokeh though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Yes!You are right!Smile But I'm asking, because I've found a 50mm G.Zuiko first edition in good condition (only some small front lens marks), at 90 euro with EOS adapter included. Do you suggest to take it, or wait and taking something better?

In my opinion a lens with "some small front lens marks" (what kind of marks ?) is not in good condition and it doesn´t matter whether the marks affected the image qualtity or not. Perhaps you have suddenly a situation where this marks affected your images - for example in special sunlight etc.
This question is more important than this coating or that coating. So if I were you I would save the money and would buy a lens in mint condition without any marks on the front or rear glass. At the end it is important what you can do with the lens, means with a perfect lens you can´t make automatically perfect images.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like also planar 50 T* 1.7...may be better than Zuiko first version no multicoated?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
I like also planar 50 T* 1.7...may be better than Zuiko first version no multicoated?

You will make no mistake with this one, for sure. Wink
If you like it take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'mlooking for a 50 mm of great quality, quick sharp and not very expensive:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "not very expensive"... Smile

I would say with my own standards :
A Pentacon 1.8/50
or a Super Takumar 1.8/55
or a Fujinon 1.8/55

But you already have fast quality 50s.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not consider a multi-coated version of Pancolar 1.8/50?
top quality
moderate price (lower than Contax and Olympus)
copy variation factor safer than Pentacon 1.8/50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:

Rollei Planar 1.8/50 if you can use it on your camera.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won this one:-)
http://www.ebay.it/itm/300609807703?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Do you think good lens and price?
I'd like your expert comments:-)

ps: I'm interested in Zeiss T*, for "3d effect" lens...I read Planar 50mm 1.7 T* has a very strong tridimensional look, if properly used:-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good price Smile Stop down to f2.8 for some pop Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitely nice (though not really an expert comment as i dont have any zeiss glass, probably because i rarely see any bargains, everyone knows its good).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good buy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late for recommendations, but congratulations for the lens, (it's the one I was going to recommend you anyway) Wink

Regards.
Jes.