Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ikonta 521/2 6x9 (1932) Novar-Anastigmat 3.5/10,5 cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Ikonta 521/2 6x9 (1932) Novar-Anastigmat 3.5/10,5 cm Reply with quote

I got this camera "for a song" (I just love this saying Very Happy )
It was part of a dismission sale held by a widow after her husband's departure.

I expected a bad condition camera, instead it was in excellent condition,
except for the slow times where the shutter lags, and for the shutter release button
which has a tendency to hang.
The aesthetics were perfect, and the lens in really a beautiful condition, clear like I rarely
saw in such an old camera (serial number says it was made in 1932)l
The lens is a Novar-Anastigmat 3.5/105, which immediately raised my interest since I saw photos
taken with the Novar (it's a triplet) and although less sharp than a Tessar, it renders differently
and with a lot of atmosphere.
Not just that, it was also the fast version of Novar (more often it was the f/4.5 version to be implemented
in the 521/2), and the shutter is a Compur (more often it was a Prontor)
So really a desireable camera, one of the best versions of 521/2
The leather and metals all look great for a camera which is going to turn 80 in the next months!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, it looks beautifull! I didn't see a Novar that fast till now.
Really curious what you can do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I am curious very much also!
Unfortunately it has to wait, because I already gave two cameras and two lenses to the Zeiss technician,
so I have to wait until he has finished them (he's retired, he only works for friends and for people that he likes.
Luckily, it seems that apparently he likes me Smile )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great. Looking forward to your results.
I bet this lens will lend quite a bit of personality.
There is no way I could wait to cla first. A test roll is definetly in order Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, there's only a few working times, but maybe I'll give it a try Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know something? with a focusing distance of 1,5 meters and an aperture of f/3.5,
and a focal lenght of 10,5 cms on a 6x9 basis, this is really going to be a portrait tool! Shocked
too bad there's no rangefinder, so focusing will not be accurate, but it will only be a matter
of making some distance tests and write down the results for future use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one doubt I have, this camera does not seem to have a wind frame stop like the Super Ikonta
(that is, wind lever does not stop after having advanced the space of one frame).
So, how do I know when it's time to stop? Do I have to look at signs on the film back through the
purple peepingtom window?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
You know something? with a focusing distance of 1,5 meters and an aperture of f/3.5,
and a focal lenght of 10,5 cms on a 6x9 basis, this is really going to be a portrait tool! Shocked
too bad there's no rangefinder, so focusing will not be accurate, but it will only be a matter
of making some distance tests and write down the results for future use.

I agree. You will get a nice vintage look for Portraits. Framing will be more of an issue than distance.
It is very easy to find a nice external rangefinder. I have a small one from voigtlander that is in meters (not feet).
Just make sure to find one that matches the scale on the lens. If you have a show mount great. I have seen a few that mount in the tripod thread (cool yeah? Very Happy).
A 105mm on 6x9 gives a a FOV of a 40mm lens in 35mm language. The DOF will still be as a 3.5/105.
Looking forward to seeing your results.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I already ordered a rangefinder. I won it for only 13,5 Euros Shocked

but until I'm sure that the lens is perfectly collimated,
it'll be a bit like shooting in the dark since the lens is not coupled.

Do you have any idea, if my camera is broken because there is no stop at every frame wind,
or if it's supposed to be that way?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no stop with one this age. You count through the red window on the back. Shoot 120 film only (no 220's).
If it has a counter I would guess it is more recent than 1932. Even my Bessa ii from '56 has a red window advance.
It's actually better that way as the backing paper is thiner now. My old Plaubel makina has an advanced.... advance Wink I get overlaps all the time as a result of the changes in newer film backing paper from 1930..whatever.
I think it is front cel focus. You can check it with a ground glass piece on the film gate. Should give you an idea of how close it is to perfect.
That's a nice looking RF! Mine is an old, dim pinhole arrangement. This one looks like it will be nice and bright.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, if you want to date the camera with absolute certainty based on its serial #, subsribe to ZICG (Zeiss Ikon Collectors Group) and send a message with the serials of both the camera and lens. All Zeiss historians are there, and they have the original production records with serials.

ZICG is here http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/ZICG/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Ignore parts of my previous post ! Reply with quote

Curiosity would not leave me alone. I found the following.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon_Ikonta#Ikonta_C_521.2F2

Quote:

"Around 1938, the 520 series gave way to the 521 series which added a shutter release on the body and a double exposure prevention."
"Ikontas were fitted with a wide range of lenses and shutters and the cameras were originally priced accordingly. The primary difference between Ikontas and Nettar models was often the lens and shutter combination.
The lenses were f/6.3 Novar f/4.5 Novar, f/3.5 Novar and f/3.5 Tessar. The focal length was 75mm for 6x6 format cameras and 105mm for 6x9 format. Novar lenses were a triplet designed outsourced to another German optical company, typically Rodenstock or Steinheil. The f/6.3 was dropped after the 520 series. Tessar lenses were 4-element design made by Zeiss. They were uncommon on Ikonta or Mess Ikonta models and more often found on Super Ikontas."

It's possible the double exposure prevention will only activate when a film is in place. I'm not sure to be honest. My "Mess ikonta" has a mechanism but it is likely different being from a camera 20 years younger.
Maybe try putting in a roll of just empty backing paper to test the advance mechanism and double exposure prevention.

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found a handsome RF on affordable price ? Is it works well did you check it ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You found a handsome RF on affordable price ? Is it works well did you check it ?

I don't have it yet, the lazy seller has delayed shipping. Mad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet one. Beautiful!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

I don't have it yet, the lazy seller has delayed shipping. Mad

I look forward it, first one what I seen. I am curious.