Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 300mm F/4.0 use with teleconverters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: CZJ 300mm F/4.0 use with teleconverters? Reply with quote

Just won a CZJ 300mm F/4.0 for $300 US on ebay. I intend to use it mainly for macro and wildlife - hence the need for a teleconverter

I would prefer a manual focus converter as they are cheaper and I wont be getting AF with the Zeiss lens anyways.

I will be using this with a tilt adapter on my Nikon DSLR.

Anybody know how the quality is (optically) of the TC16 compared to the 1.4 and 2.0x converters sold by Nikon? I dont intend to use this odd converter for its hackable AF capabilities, just in manual focus only. And I like that 1.6x is right between 1.4 and 2.0

Also recommendations for solid extension tubes would be appreciated as well (this lens I believe is too heavy for any bellows!)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kawa.

About extension tubes, I use Kenko ones, the 3 tubes kit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely do advice against optical multipliers with long tele lenses that are not APO.
For unavoidable reasons, the longer the normal telephoto lens, the bigger the chromatic aberration.
Optical multipliers do not only multiply the focal lenght, they also multiply the defects (aside from
introducing new problems).
A short tele lens, such as 85mm, may still remain acceptable if the multiplier is a good one.
But longer focal lenses have the CA problem more and more critical.
As for extension tubes, there can be no recommendations, a tube's a tube, there are not good tubes
and bad tubes. The only thing to look for in a tube is the presence of a chip at the mount, which may
allow for focus assist of manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although extension tubes ought to be problem-free, I recently got a used, as new, set in Pentax K fitting, made during the 1970s in Japan. They are indeed nicely finished but none of them lock firmly into either my digital or film Pentax bodies. There's some radial movement which (although not a "problem" as far as results go) is a little disconcerting. Oddly, the tubes themselves are all a tight fit between each other.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macro is definetly bad idea , lens weight is 2kg and designed for tele -shooting

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I definitely do advice against optical multipliers with long tele lenses that are not APO.
For unavoidable reasons, the longer the normal telephoto lens, the bigger the chromatic aberration.
Optical multipliers do not only multiply the focal lenght, they also multiply the defects (aside from
introducing new problems).
A short tele lens, such as 85mm, may still remain acceptable if the multiplier is a good one.
But longer focal lenses have the CA problem more and more critical.
As for extension tubes, there can be no recommendations, a tube's a tube, there are not good tubes
and bad tubes. The only thing to look for in a tube is the presence of a chip at the mount, which may
allow for focus assist of manual focus lenses.

Totally agree, I've used a cheap set of 3 section PK tubes for the last year and they do everything I require from them and are much more preferable to the converter with their CA problems (unless you spend serious money on the lens) and cheap to boot. Never quite understood why more people don't use tubes as opposed to spending large sums of money on dedicated macro lenses, but I'm tight with money or shall we say I have to work on a "restricted budget". We ought to have a "Tube" thread so we can convert more people to this cheap solution.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice !
Kawa got answers. Wink