Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question on Pentax smc Takumar 35/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Question on Pentax smc Takumar 35/3.5 Reply with quote

I'm reading in Gerjan v. Oosten's book that the front lens of the 35/3.5 lens is not multicoated.
Why that?
It seems to be an anomaly, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it, I presume.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be that they didn't have the technology back then(or to expensive) to apply coating on a element with such a high curve .
The 2nd element in the front has SMC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Gerjan explained it in one of his articles for the Dutch Camera Magazine. In short: due to the strong curvature of the front element the thick SMC coating would have an adverse effect on the light rays entering the front element in a sharp angle. That is why a thinner coating was used on the front element.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Thank you!
I already thought about something to that effect.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Thank You indeed for that bit of information. The thought that multi-coating on curved front elements could actually block light from a subject had been bothering me for some time.

I think that multi-coating of highly curved interior lens surfaces has no such "adverse effect", because light enters and exits those surfaces at right angle.