Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The light was just perfect today for landscapes.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: The light was just perfect today for landscapes. Reply with quote

Days like these remind me how lucky I am to have such natural beauty on my doorstep.

Petri CC Auto 1.8/55 on NEX-3, stitched in Photoshop.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful indeed. Looks like you live in a pretty remote area? Northern UK or Scotland?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Is this Wales?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cumbria, NW England, just on the southern tip of the Cumbrian mountains. I was stood on Corney Fell looking E towards Grizebeck and NE towards Coniston

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed beautiful light Shocked ....Stunning landscape's pictures and very wel captured.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Seems don't need to find more lens for landscapes Wink Excellent from every aspects!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful light and fantastic scenery Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

One more I forgot to include:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also shot some HDRs:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And turned a few into BW:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful scenery.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent scenery i would trade that any day for our snow and bald prairie!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Ian, remind me movie like Braveheart or Robinhood. someone must have made movie there

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series in the 1st batch. The colour ones work better for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, beautiful pictures.
The first one has your signature style Smile

martinsmith99 wrote:
Great series in the 1st batch. The colour ones work better for me.

+1
IMHO the colors of the first ones are far superior than any B&W or HDR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was in this thread, but maybe not.

In a picture similar to the ones you have here (the colour ones are cracking), you posted one that had a Mine, or Mine spoil/tips in it. Any chance of letting me know where it is?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice scenery Wink My favorite is #5 Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I like the colour ones too, the HDR are more lively and colourful but my favourite is a normal shot. I just like to try different options.

I think the mines and spoil tips are these ones, right?

That is Kirby Fell, a few miles north of Barrow-in-Furness on the southern side of the Duddon Estuary.

It's a big slate quarry, I don't know if there are any mine shafts or underground workings there, I will research it for you if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful set of landscapes. I like the realistic colours. Your HDRs are more discrete and convincing than most other HDRs I usually see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio. It was rare to have such great light as I had to shoot these hence the normal ones look great. HDR is handy when the light is not so good and normal shots are too flat and lacking something. I try to make the most of every time we have good light and use HDR as a fall-back when the light is less good, which is often here.

I took my Konica FT-1 with me and newly acquired Hexanon UC 80-200 and was going to shoot some film shots too, but after 2 exposures the batteries died.

Reminds me why I like old manual SLRs, should have taken my Autoreflex T as well.

Oh well, you learn....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one Ian.

That would be Burlington Slate Quarry, and there are indeed underground parts (Numerous ones!). If it was disused, then I would be up there like a shot, it's not far off the size of some of the North Wales quarries.

I do find it interesting that what appears to be a caravan park is built on the spoil from another quarry immediately below it, with some decent sized Workings evident.

As an aside, all Slate works are called Quarries, but the majority have some form of underground workings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely stuff. I particularly like the first B&W one.

I must get myself to the lake district one of these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis indeed Burlington Slate.

There is a large part of the former quarry that is long disused, the back side of the Fell, near Grizebeck. There are another set of large abandoned slate workings with caves and underground parts up on Broughton Moor, I keep meaning to get up there for some photos but every time i been up there the light was awful and it rained.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last one from that day, HDR version of the verdant valley shot: