Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for Samples Tamron SP 60B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Looking for Samples Tamron SP 60B Reply with quote

I am looking for HI RES samples done with a 300mm f2.8 Tamron SP 60B

i am just curious Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only I have, no tripod, no 1.4 converter
#1 @2,8

#2 crop

#3 @4.0

#4 @2.8

#5 @4.0

#6 @2.8

#7 @2.8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a copy of that Lens ?

what do you think about it ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have this lens but don't use it. I have also Pentacon 4/300 - don't use it, too. I don't need lens with such focal length.
Tamron is very sharp, well build lens. Heavy. Expensive. Mint copy - about $700+. Very comfortable to use focusing ring and "focus memory". It is amazing how fast is possible to focus with this lens. If somebody is looking for fast lens to use outdoor - this is very good choice. One of the lenses which are still very desirable even in AF era. Maybe this opinion http://www.geocities.com/mikkonis/reviewed/sp300mm.html would be more usable for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice Voytek! On same day I planning to take one too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the samples. I have one of these on the way, or at least I think. I only know it's an SP LD IF, so it may be a 60B or 360B - KEH didn't specify. In any case I plan to use it with a teleconverter to shoot the space shuttle launch in August.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
Thank you for the samples. I have one of these on the way, or at least I think. I only know it's an SP LD IF, so it may be a 60B or 360B - KEH didn't specify. In any case I plan to use it with a teleconverter to shoot the space shuttle launch in August.

Shocked Shocked I can't wait for your photos!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll get a pass to the VIP viewing site, won't know for sure until two weeks beforehand.

I have two months to find a teleconverter that performs. A 1.4x SP and a 2x SP are coming with the lens, we'll see how they do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

up up up Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/350 & f/2.8:

1/90 & f5.6:

(all shots handheld)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
Hopefully I'll get a pass to the VIP viewing site, won't know for sure until two weeks beforehand.

I have two months to find a teleconverter that performs. A 1.4x SP and a 2x SP are coming with the lens, we'll see how they do.

I owned a 60B with both the SP 1.4x and SP 2x, and found both teleconverters to be very good performers with that lens for the subjects I used it with the most, which was motorsports and airshows.

I have some slides I took with that lens around here somewhere. I'll post some examples shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a very good lens.

I expected it to suffer with the same CA issues that it's slower sibling has.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my copy to be very well corrected. It still exhibited some CA but it was very slight compared to other mid-length teles I've owned.

Here are a few examples that I took with mine back in the early 90s. The images are from slides, which I scanned on an old Epson 3170 scanner. Some PP was done, but I don't remember now what all I did to the images. I do recall struggling with the colors with the first two photos, and never being able to get things quite right. If I get rid of the blues in the shadows, everything else turns yellow, so I've just left things alone for now. I need to try duping them with my slide duplicating rig under a good light source.

San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, taken from the north side looking toward the city. The first image was taken with the Tamron 60B, the second was with the 60B and SP 2x. Tripod mounted, Nikon F2.

Chino Airshow, circa 1992. 60B straight, handheld, ISO 100 Fujichrome. Nikon F3. I did not correct for CA in these two photos. Typically if a lens displays CA, it's going to with bright reflections off metal or glass surfaces. As you can see it was negligible.

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine turned up today, all pics taken with the 1.2 TC @ fully open aperture being f2.8x whatever the 1.4 aperture changes it to.
I'll post more pics in a couple of days minus the TC.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys !
more more Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson,

The Tamron 300/2.8 is a sharp lens, which is almost devoid of lateral chromatic aberration. The fast aperture makes it very versatile (think teleconverter) -- but the price to pay is the bulk and weight. Its only drawback is a very pronounced longitudinal chromatic aberration, which smears the out of focus background with a greenish halo and the foreground with a purple/magenta halo, especially at F/2.8 and F/4.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came across this lens in a trade and I confirm what has been said about it earlier in the thread.
Sharp enough to be used at full aperture, has some CA if you look for it.

It's big, bulky and heavy.

Even if the original thread starter got his request filled I think it's a good idea to continue to post pics in this thread, making it more usefull for other people in the future.

Some pics, all at 2.8:

100% crop

100% crop

Some notes:
Pics are shot at small resolution with 5D and the crops are therefore 100% from that, I don't know what the resolution is on the small mode.
Pics has been edited with AcDSee 3.1, changing contrast and cropping/resizing is the only things been done. This might have affected picture quality some, I can't tell at this moment.
I do not have access to my own computer to edit/view pics on and i don't have any RAW files left as well.

All pics where taken completely WITHOUT filters using a monopod.
There might be some focusing errors from me. Wink

In about two weeks I'm gonna try it's big brother... Cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting some more pics taken with this lens as I'm right about to sell it. Smile

f2.8

100% crop

f4

100% crop

f4 (I think)

100% crop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot of the blue tit, Swappo. Smile

IMO a 300/2.8 should really be completely usable at 2.8, otherwise it's just not worth carrying around all that weight and you'd be better off with a good 300/4. I'm a bit put off by the longitudinal CA of this lens; in some shots you can't hide it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Nice shot of the blue tit, Swappo. Smile

IMO a 300/2.8 should really be completely usable at 2.8, otherwise it's just not worth carrying around all that weight and you'd be better off with a good 300/4. I'm a bit put off by the longitudinal CA of this lens; in some shots you can't hide it.

Thanks!
What you're saying is soo true!
The sharpness at 2.8 is no issue with this lens, it can handle it.
The CA can be an issue when shooting shiny metal/white birds/and such.

Like here, look at the roof top bottom left:
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20104/big_1338_Bild_003_1.jpg

The pic has not been corrected for CA.

I've successfully removed CA in some pics, so it isn't a problem all the time.
And remember, I'm a total newby in picture editing... I'm just using the "remove CA-tool" in camera raw. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 360B. Very impressed by it. CA reduced when I removed the rear filter.

bb2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have picture of this lens?
I mean, actual picture of his or her own copy.
I find it so gorgeous in olive green.
Looking forward to find a copy on ebay, they seem pretty rare Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pic's of my copy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, altough it's not exactly the right word for the Tamron.
Very Happy
What camera do you use it on?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax 20D,Canon F1n,numerous Pentax film bodies,Contax RTS.Nikon etc.