Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KIEV 4M
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: KIEV 4M Reply with quote

Ok,

last one for today here a KIEV 4M, manufactured around 1980. So not too old. Remarkable is only that someone changed the standard lens Helios 103 1.8/53 into this one Jupiter-8M 1.2/50mm. If I understand the syntax correct it was manufactured 1957. After a first check aperture and shutter speed are ok. Paid 5 € for the combo, so a nice paperweight for this money.

Here a pic after cleaning the cam.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens is very rare at least to me, first 8M with Red P mark what I seen , I am green from envy!

I have this camera also, light meter is accurate as well. Lovely camera ! I am not sure you familiar with Russian RF cameras, always knock shutter before change speeds, other ways easy to kill them ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent camera if it is in working condition, and +1 on what Attila says about that lens. Matter of fact it's the same vintage as the J-12 I recently bought (as well as my own vintage Very Happy)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Lens is very rare at least to me, first 8M with Red P mark what I seen , I am green from envy!

I have this camera also, light meter is accurate as well. Lovely camera ! I am not sure you familiar with Russian RF cameras, always knock shutter before change speeds, other ways easy to kill them ...

No Attilar, I´m not familiar with Russian RF cams, never used it before. In the meantime I have had a look in the forum concerning Kiev and Zorki. Seems to be an interesting subject area. So you think I shouldn´t use this cam as a paperweight ? What is so special with RED P mark ?
Special coating ?

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Attila wrote:

No Attilar, I´m not familiar with Russian RF cams, never used it before. In the meantime I have had a look in the forum concerning Kiev and Zorki. Seems to be an interesting subject area. So you think I shouldn´t use this cam as a paperweight ? What is so special with RED P mark ?
Special coating ?

Wink

Not only coating , after war Russian lenses made from Zeiss glass, on Zeiss machine by Zeiss people.... I did prove it many times quality is stunning , most of the times better than later versions and if you lucky outstanding really good as genuine Zeiss or even better. For example my Industar-22 copies was lot more better than genuine Leica Elmar.

My Jupiter-9 and Jupiter 12 with red p simple awesome, and if I remember as well Jupiter-8 also a very very good one.
Seek my posts here in Galleries. I did mark in title Red P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info.

Have seen elsewhere a link to a manual. Will download it and read a little bit more about this cam.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Many thanks for the info.

Have seen elsewhere a link to a manual. Will download it and read a little bit more about this cam.

Wink

If you will shoot first roll count of half of speed above 1/125 this is good in general and knock first shutter before change speeds others are straight forward.

I look forward your opinion after first trip, lovely camera hopefully you will love it too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my FED2 I change speed before cocking the shutter and it's still working fine. I tend to leave the shutter speed alone and use the aperture to adjust exposure most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful newish copy of the camera and great old copy of the lens!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that the cam has some issues with the range finder which I will try to fix when wintertime will come. Not a great problem for the 5 € I paid for this combo.

In the meantime I need perhaps few recommendations regarding an adapter for the Jupiter-8 lens (m4/3 or NEX) ?

Thanks in advance.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Seems that the cam has some issues with the range finder which I will try to fix when wintertime will come. Not a great problem for the 5 € I paid for this combo.

In the meantime I need perhaps few recommendations regarding an adapter for the Jupiter-8 lens (m4/3 or NEX) ?

Thanks in advance.

Wink

This mount has two type one outer mount lens has focusing part , and one inner mount lens like 50mm Jupiter-8 which has no focusing part due focusing device is part of camera.
inner mount adapter with focusing ring is expensive cost above 100 GBP , other is less for outer mount lenses like 135mm, 85mm
and most sad news best lens is Jupiter-12 3,5cm which is goes to deep into body no way to mount it on digital.

Range finder should easily fixable seek Google.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the RF adjustment is simple on FEDs requiring no removal of top plate - I hope the same applies to the Kiev.