Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two Planar 85 MMJ with different coating
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Two Planar 85 MMJ with different coating Reply with quote

First of all, I want to revise the info about my lens on "Zeiss lens photo" thread that mine is MMJ not AE because I check again the f16 aperture number and it's in green color which should be MM version. (CMIIMW)

I bought a new one because my current lens has oil in the rear side of the front optic. Though so far it doesn't affect the images, I want the cleaner one. I also feel that my lens color is a bit colder.

The new one I bought is older (74xxxxx) than the one I had (77xxxxx).

What made me surprised was they have different coating color, both front & rear coating.
The 74: front coating = goldie, rear coating = purple
The 77: front coating = purple, rear coating = no color

Did Zeiss enhance the coating on the later serial number or the seller of one of this lens messed up the lens body?

Left: 74, Right: 77

Switched position ... Left: 77, Right: 74

Left: 74, Right: 77

74 version

77 version

74 version

77 version

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't answer your query regarding the lens coatings. However, on my monitor the 74 has richer colouring and is marginally sharper.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this question being asked to a Zeiss technician (but I don't remember where I read it)
and the answer was that the colour of the coating depends on which metal is on the outer layer,
but that the effort of Zeiss since the time of the Contarex is to keep all different lenses of a same
camera set consistent in colouring, and that this is done with continuous experimentation to obtain
the best combination of metals in the coatings for each different element
(remember that in a Zeiss lenses all glass elements are multicoated on both sides).
I also have different colours in my Contax lenses coatings, but I never detected any colour inconsistencies
in the photos. I may test them for colour consistency, but I am too lazy Laughing and also I think that
there's no much point in doing this type of tests when there is no visible problem in the lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwilly wrote:
Sorry, can't answer your query regarding the lens coatings. However, on my monitor the 74 has richer colouring and is marginally sharper.

The colours look identical to me, and I wonder how can you detect differences in sharpness in such small resizes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
killwilly wrote:

The colours look identical to me, and I wonder how can you detect differences in sharpness in such small resizes.

The blue just right of centre on 74 does look darker on my computer and the foliage in the foreground looks sharper too. Maybe an optical illusion, my eyes are not what they used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@killwilly & Orio: thanks for the comments.

Sorry I forget to post the sharpness test Smile
Here they are:

Using tripod, live-view (mirror lock up), 10 seconds timer.

Top: 74, bottom: 77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 74 version looks a bit more saturated

Top: 74, Bottom: 77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sharpness test, both at wide open, using live-view and tripod

Top: 74, Bottom: 77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take many photo for each sample, or just one?
I think the two lenses are identical and the tiny differences, if any, are caused by variations of
focusing or of natural lighting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Did you take many photo for each sample, or just one?
I think the two lenses are identical and the tiny differences, if any, are caused by variations of
focusing or of natural lighting.

Just couple of shots. You right. I have to do some more shots Smile
I will do a more controlled shots using flash for consistent lighting and a more flat textured surface. It will be final shots to decide which one to sell Smile

By the way, below is the reason why I bought another Planar. The lens was in dry box for about 3 weeks and when I picked it up it had oil on the rear part of the front optic.