Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tefnon 24 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Tefnon 24 f2.8 Reply with quote

Tefnon is a name I'd never even heard of until I saw this 24mm f2.8 Minolta MD fit lens at the camera fair on Sunday.

I thought it looked like the excellent Elsinor 24, but there's no common design. A bit research indicates it might be Kobori, apparently the Tefnon name is registered to Kobori.

I haven't tried it yet, I'll put it on the XD7 and run a film past it sometime soon though. It looks like a nice lens, it's a typically Japanese well made and silky smooth lens.
And hopefully worth the £20 I paid for it.

Does anyone else have any experience of this lens ? or Tefnon for that matter ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be pretty good. It is made by 1 of 2 makers either Sun Optical or Tokina.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a gem there. Serial number starting with #85 signifies the manufacturer is in fact Teflon Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
It should be pretty good. It is made by 1 of 2 makers either Sun Optical or Tokina.

Tefnon = Kobori = TRUE manufacturer

Usual
optical Tefnon/Kobori quality is good/very good (not stellar but really ok)
mechanical quality depends on which part = lens barrel = top // mount lock or dof preview too stiff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Which of those would you categorize as Kobori made: http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866,start,90.html

It would have impact on Soligor 21 versions thread.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this, which is just about the only informtation I've found online about Tefnon.

List of Members: Japan Camera Industry Association: JCIA

http://www.genyosha.com/JCTN/Advertisers/jcia.html

Kobori Mfg., Co., Ltd.
3-34-15, Yaguchi, Ota-ku, Tokyo 146. Fax:(03)3759-2583
TEFNON interchangeable lenses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I found this, which is just about the only informtation I've found online about Tefnon.

List of Members: Japan Camera Industry Association: JCIA

http://www.genyosha.com/JCTN/Advertisers/jcia.html

Kobori Mfg., Co., Ltd.
3-34-15, Yaguchi, Ota-ku, Tokyo 146. Fax:(03)3759-2583
TEFNON interchangeable lenses

There is more info but it's in Japanese and dosen't translate well.
The company was formed in 1980 and sold Prime lenses, zoom lens production was later. Sorry I didn't write down the year. Tefnon was their housebrand name. Nowhere I can find, that they actually made them . The zooms yes but not the primes.

Overseas it was sold under the Koboron brand, but Koborun wasn't trademarked until 1985 so, it contradicts itself.
I'm guessing that the Koboron name was used for Zooms only.

The lens in this thread appears to be a Sun designed lens. I will track down a picture of the same lens under the Sun name. Tokina made a few lenses with the same basic markings but they weren't identical. This is by memory only so they might not be absolutly identical. Smile Laughing

It's not uncommon for one manufactorer to use a design from another or have them make it.
Maybe one of our Japanese speaking members could do a little research.

If this lens is really made by Kobori and not a liscense from Sun it could effect the Soligor ID thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In will continue to hunt for the Sun 24 2.8 picture, but I did find this. Your lens has a 49mm filter thread probably made between 1983-85.
This Soligor has been positively ID'd as a Sun lens.
Of course this lens has a 55mm filter thread because it was made in 1980.
Sun used a variety of grips and some Sun lenses had the smaller diamond marker like yours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Walter. Just a mystification i guess. The other photos i found being related to Tefnon were Kino or Komine's product. Kobori zooms are very specific and recognizable.