Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ukrainian H(N) lenses on Nikon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Ukrainian H(N) lenses on Nikon? Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question, but I haven't found the answer so far - not even here. I'm wondering about the compatibility of 35mm Kiev lenses (Arsat N, Helios N, probably others) with Nikon camera's: do they have the same diaphragma lever so that they can measure wide open or do they need stop-down metering? And are there any other compatibility issues - like the pre-ai problems? And, last but not least _ are they any good (as in reasonable to excellent?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard: it depends. Some will and some won't. The original Kiev 17 had no meter, so the lenses didn't "communicate" with body in any way, other than through the auto-diaphragm operation.

I've heard that lenses for the 17 have trouble mounting on Nikons, but the later lenses from the 19 do not. I have not heard any explanation for why.

I do not own any so I can't say from personal experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for deviating from the question but can I request that the title be changed "Ukrainian H(N) lenses on Nikon?" In almost all cases the Arsenal plant in Kiev mass-produced lenses and cameras with a Nikon mount.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I'm sorry for deviating from the question but can I request that the title be changed "Ukrainian H(N) lenses on Nikon?" In almost all cases the Arsenal plant in Kiev mass-produced lenses and cameras with a Nikon mount.

Done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have used Zenitar N 16/2.8, Mir-24N 35/2, Arsat N 50/1.4, Helios-81N 50/2 and Kaleinar-5N 100/2.8, earlier with a D200, nowadays with a D700 Nikon body. They work like regular Nikon lenses, metering wide open.

With the Helios-81 (at least with my version), you have to be careful, though. At the back side of the aperture ring, there´s a raised ridge on my Arsat N 50/1.4 lens (latter picture). The ridge should mate with the moving aperture indexing ring around the lens mount. With the Helios, there´s no ridge, so sometimes it slides under the lens mount ring and the camera indicates wrong aperture.

Helios-81

Arsat N