Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The NX10 does the Giro d'Italia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: The NX10 does the Giro d'Italia Reply with quote

Today the Giro d'Italia, probably the biggest bycicle race in Europe after the Tour, ends in Milan. And since they run 50m from my house, I grabbed the NX10 and a couple of lenses and took a few pictures. Once again, the NX10 proved great: small, light, and great ergonomics.

These are with the Konica Hexanon 135/3.5, the lowliest of the Konica 135s but a nice lens, especially taking into account its size and cost (practically nothing).

#3 Crossing the race track, a dangerous affair (Konica 40/1.8 )

And the obligatory panning shots, impossible without a VF or EVF, and very hard without a moderate wide (I only had the Konica 40/1.8 )

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, Ludo.
The Giro has passed through my hometown also (the day before the Belgian guy died), but I did not take photos, partly because I am too lazy Rolling Eyes partly because I know from experience that, since the race only passes one time fast, and you don't have the option of changing point of view, the photos tend to look all the same, as you surely have noticed too (I mean, when doing a curve for instance, all riders do take the same position, and so on). For this reason, I enjoy much more the photos of the audience, where I can find much more variety (especially amongst the oldest bike race fans Smile ). Your photo of the guys crossing the street is a great one. I like the first panning one also.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great result , Konica was a top brand it's time, current next to nothing price is not refer to it's quality.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thanks!

Orio, I understand what you say. Today though it was a chrono race, which lacks the occasion for group shots but affords a more relaxed kind of shooting. Even though the racers are spaced 3 or 4 minutes apart so it takes some time to come up with a few shots, I had maybe twelve runs before I had to go back home.

And yes, races are not very varied but you can still exercise a bit with light and composition, and there are also the technical complications of shooting relatively small (compared to cars for example), very fast moving objects right next to you, using manual focusing and single shots.

So I like this kind of occasions, you get to know your equipment better, can concentrate on shooting without distractions, and it beats the hell out of taking shots of flowers on my balcony. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot 6 is an amazing shot, just the right amount of blur to show how fast the rider is actually going.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive series with great colors!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's almost embarrassing, the NX10 is the first camera I have that does white balance in camera better than Silkypix in postproduction.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Guys thanks!

Orio, I understand what you say. Today though it was a chrono race, which lacks the occasion for group shots but affords a more relaxed kind of shooting. Even though the racers are spaced 3 or 4 minutes apart so it takes some time to come up with a few shots, I had maybe twelve runs before I had to go back home.

And yes, races are not very varied but you can still exercise a bit with light and composition, and there are also the technical complications of shooting relatively small (compared to cars for example), very fast moving objects right next to you, using manual focusing and single shots.

Indeed.
Also, there are even worse sports. Cars, for instance. You take one photo at a given point along the path, and you can pretty much pack up and go home early Laughing
I'm kidding of course.
There is a point of truth however in the matter about photographing sports, especially professional sports, where everything is super-regulated, contolled, and ritualized. Either you go completely eccentric, or you are destined to repeat the same shots over and over. Take a tennis magazine, you have the standard 6-8 shots (serve, return, forehand, backhand, volley, slide, sitting on the chair, final handshake, and holding the cup) that repeat forever and ever and ever again...
Where you can not see the faces of the athletes (like when they wear a helmet), it becomes even worse, as the most unique element (the face) is hidden by another standard tool.
This morning I went to photograph a flag jugglers show, and although there are much more variants compared to a professional sport (different and varied actors, informal situation, etc.) I was faced with the problem of finding something new that I have not done before - and it was not easy at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love cycling, I have several scars from this, but I'm still pedaling.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results , still I am not astonished : the Hexanons are great pieces of glass and the photographer is a good one , also Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pans are amazing shots.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb series, your focusing is spot on! Lovely punchy colours and pop, just the way I like it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect series, no 6 is excellent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, I love the Pan shots!!

well done!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice ..... 1,3,5 and 6 are my favorites ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series! Sharp an colourful.
#2, #3 and #6 are my favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: konica Reply with quote

sharp stuff