Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji S5 pro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Fuji S5 pro Reply with quote

Folks,
Saw this advert in my local forum. Wow Shocked Shocked the images are absolutely stunning!! Donno if it is just the camera or lens + camera.

What struck me is the tonality of the photos.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=34814&id=100000663475979

http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/fuji-s5-pro/504076

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fuji is reknowned for great colour rendition and dynamic range!

Widely regarded as a great portrait camera, due to giving very natural skin tones!

The S5 is exactly the same as a Nikon D200 but with a Fuji sensor (also uses Nikon mount lenses)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago we signed up my daughter with a modleing agency for kids, and their resident pro photographer shot a quick session to have pics of her for their clients. What camera was he using? A Fuji S5 Pro.

He shot all pictures in jpg, and they were ready literally seconds after the end of the session, with zero retouching on his part. When he gave me a copy of the images, I was pretty much shocked by their quality: perfect skin tones, and great colours.

Edit: there's a reasonably active forum for Fuji DSLRs at dpreview, which has been taken over lately by X100 discussions but still gets some S5 talk, like this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
About a month ago we signed up my daughter with a modleing agency for kids, and their resident pro photographer shot a quick session to have pics of her for their clients. What camera was he using? A Fuji S5 Pro.

He shot all pictures in jpg, and they were ready literally seconds after the end of the session, with zero retouching on his part. When he gave me a copy of the images, I was pretty much shocked by their quality: perfect skin tones, and great colours.

Edit: there's a reasonably active forum for Fuji DSLRs at dpreview, which has been taken over lately by X100 discussions but still gets some S5 talk, like this thread.

Hi,

Thanks for the link. After my friends wedding shoot. I am thinking about trading in my D2H and Panny G1 for a S5 Pro.

Initially I was convinced it would be the D300 for its superb AF ability and massive LCD screen. But with the S5, I will still have money left over for a NEX-3. Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Initially I was convinced it would be the D300 for its superb AF ability and massive LCD screen. But with the S5, I will still have money left over for a NEX-3. Surprised

I'd skip the NEX and get an S5 pro and all the great Nikon lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
stingOM wrote:

I'd skip the NEX and get an S5 pro and all the great Nikon lenses. Smile

I see you are a "Nikon man". Very Happy

Well, I would if I did not have so much other gear which needs a digital body to complement them. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an S5 Pro. Amazing camera for the money. Not the fastest in terms of writing speed and the amount of pictures it can buffer, but the dynamic range is staggeringly close to negative film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to choose between a D300 or a S5pro and a NEX-3, I would go for the S5pro and the NEX-3, definitely!

The S5pro is a fantastic cam!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cistron wrote:
I'm using an S5 Pro. Amazing camera for the money. Not the fastest in terms of writing speed and the amount of pictures it can buffer, but the dynamic range is staggeringly close to negative film.

Yeah I am looking at some photos posted on the web. Some are superb. However, I did noticed some of the photos looks a little unnatural. I wonder is it due to post processing artifacts - what I mean is the "HDR" look is over done.

For me, if done tastefully, the colour depth is extremely life like.

I just looking at DXO test here. I wonder why there is a massive drop in the dynamic range from ISO 800:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Compare/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/511%7C0/(appareil2)/628%7C0/(appareil3)/483%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Fujifilm/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Canon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stingOM"]
Cistron wrote:
I just looking at DXO test here. I wonder why there is a massive drop in the dynamic range from ISO 800
Interesting, I never knew that happened. But then you would usually notice the large dynamic range only in quite bright conditions, where you won't need the high ISO speeds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cistron"]
stingOM wrote:
Cistron wrote:
I just looking at DXO test here. I wonder why there is a massive drop in the dynamic range from ISO 800
Interesting, I never knew that happened. But then you would usually notice the large dynamic range only in quite bright conditions, where you won't need the high ISO speeds.

Very true!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right to think that this info is no longer correct?
http://www.fujifilm.com/photokina2006/pdf/FienPix_S5Pro_E.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any DSLR will show lower dynamic range when boosting ISO, regardless if it is crop sensor or full frame. When at base ISO sensors today give about 12 to 14 f-stops of dynamic range, at ISO 800 to 1600 there is only about 6 f-stops of dynamic range left.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Am I right to think that this info is no longer correct?
http://www.fujifilm.com/photokina2006/pdf/FienPix_S5Pro_E.pdf
That's the announcement flyer for the S5 and I don't see any specs that didn't actually apply.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Any DSLR will show lower dynamic range when boosting ISO, regardless if it is crop sensor or full frame. When at base ISO sensors today give about 12 to 14 f-stops of dynamic range, at ISO 800 to 1600 there is only about 6 f-stops of dynamic range left.

True, but what I am referring to is the steep drop in DR from ISO 800 to higher ISO. Most cameras even the G1 is more graded with gentler transition.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a pretty interesting topic, out of the blue so to speak. does anyone have insight into how this cam works in manual focus mode with mf lenses? in particular, i think it would be interesting to know how good the vf is for manual focusing, and if there is an accurate confirmation system. for example, i think the 5d vf and confirm system is just great, while, say, the sigma line has horrible vf and confirm system is often innaccurate (imho)...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
this is a pretty interesting topic, out of the blue so to speak. does anyone have insight into how this cam works in manual focus mode with mf lenses? in particular, i think it would be interesting to know how good the vf is for manual focusing, and if there is an accurate confirmation system. for example, i think the 5d vf and confirm system is just great, while, say, the sigma line has horrible vf and confirm system is often innaccurate (imho)...
I'm using the S5 with a Nikon 1.2/55, as I'm waiting for my EOS adapters to arrive. You definitely need a matte screen, e.g. a Katzeye, and I've also installed a viewfinder magnifier. It is not as easy as 135 cameras with ~0.8x+ viewfinders. Unfortunately, live-view is more of a gimmick, as it is only a preview function that doesn't allow one to take actual images. Works fine on a tripod though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you C. does the cam have any useful mf focus confirm like 5d?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thank you C. does the cam have any useful mf focus confirm like 5d?
It has a green dot, which lights up in the viewfinder, just as all other Nikon models. I think you might be able to get a beep-confirmation as well. I'll check the manual.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beep sound confirm for focus lock is triggered by AF drive system, you can't get it with manual focus mode or manual focus lenses. The green > o < system of Nikon DSLR bodies will show focus confirm with every lens you can attach to the body, I have focus confirm indicator even with the 1938 Zeiss Tessar 8cm f/2.8 that I modified to fit F-mount. As long as the scene has enough contrast to differentiate then the green dot will show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you find it accurate? to me this feature varies a lot: my 5d seems always spot on, while the sigma sd14 was useless because it was hardly ever accurate...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
do you find it accurate? to me this feature varies a lot: my 5d seems always spot on, while the sigma sd14 was useless because it was hardly ever accurate...
It should be as accurate as the AF-system. If you lock onto a low contrast spot, or if there is no contrast step perpendicular to the AF-sensor direction (i.e. when it's not a cross-type sensor), it won't be that accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
The beep sound confirm for focus lock is triggered by AF drive system, you can't get it with manual focus mode or manual focus lenses. The green > o < system of Nikon DSLR bodies will show focus confirm with every lens you can attach to the body, I have focus confirm indicator even with the 1938 Zeiss Tessar 8cm f/2.8 that I modified to fit F-mount. As long as the scene has enough contrast to differentiate then the green dot will show.
You're right. I just searched the manual, but couldn't find anything. Would have been a handy feature.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:

True, but what I am referring to is the steep drop in DR from ISO 800 to higher ISO. Most cameras even the G1 is more graded with gentler transition.

The Fuji S5 uses an interesting sensor architecture. Each photosite uses two photodiodes, with different sizes and different sensitivities. The situation is described here ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03012202fujisuperccdsr.asp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
The Fuji S5 uses an interesting sensor architecture. Each photosite uses two photodiodes, with different sizes and different sensitivities. The situation is described here ...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03012202fujisuperccdsr.asp
Unfortunately it doesn't output native 6MP files, but does some weird interpolation, causing the final product to have less detail than expected from the file-size.