Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

*ist D, *ist DL2, or K100D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: *ist D, *ist DL2, or K100D Reply with quote

SRS are replacing my *ist D camera as there appears to be 'power management' issues (flash doesn't work with rechargeable or half-used lithium).

I have a choice of *ist D, *ist DL2, or K100D

I am familiar with the *ist D already, but concerned I'll have a repeat of the power issues.

I'm not familiar with the DL2, but it sounds more compact than the K100D. Were they on a par?

I'm mainly using PK and M42 lenses. The exisitng allow Aperture Priority with preset M42 lenses. Do the later ones allow it too?

Many thanks,

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are great cameras, but the *ist D is the slowest of the bunch. However, it's the only one accepting the cheap and older Pentax TTL flashes; the other two only support P-TTL. Also it's the only one with "pro" handling (front and back wheel).

The K100D is the most recent of the three. It's not the "Super" version (meaning that it has SDM focusing contacts for modern SDM AF lenses)?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the K100D without hesitation for three reasons: much faster and a better screen than the D (and probably the DL too), Shake Reduction, and higher resale value.

Both the DL and the K100D will feel cheaper than the D and have a smaller viewfinder, but they will be easier to use to the faster speed. And the smaller viewfinder makes little difference in use, especially if you don't wear glasses and manage to find an O-ME53 magnifying eyecup.

Go for the K100D!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for refund and buy a used SONY NEX or Samsung NX Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Ask for refund and buy a used SONY NEX or Samsung NX Laughing

Actually that's not a bad idea, it's more or less what I did when I switched from Pentax to the NX10. But it would mean extra money spent on adapters...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot better compatibility is a serious factor for a manual focus forum member.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I bought my first dSLR I had decided for a Pentax and I had the choice to either get an used *istD, *istDs or K100D for about the same price.
I took the *istDs. Deciding factor was that I liked it best in my hand, besides thought that the two wheels of the *istD, which is slow and has a very small LCD, don't do much when using manual lenses, and was afraid of the smaller viewfinder of the K100D, disliked it's bigger body and thought that for my first dSLR I may just as well do without image stabilization, practicing a stable hand.

Now, after having upgraded to the K-x I would recommend the K100D and if only for it's image stabilization ( though personally I still prefer the smaller body of the *istDs, and the K-x, which are very similar in this respect, lie in my hand ) Btw. the smaller viewfinder, the K-x has the same as the K100D, proved to be not an issue, but maybe also due to a better focus screen I installed.

I also like the idea of going for a NEX3 instead, if you can.
It's newer sensor ( my K-x's performs similar ) does mean much improved dynamic range and better high ISO performance, though I prefer the colors of the 6MP CCD sensor of the Pentax cameras you listed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for your helpful suggestions. I think on balance, I shall opt for the K100D. It's the most recent and I had one a few years ago, and found the image stabilisation quite useful with the Tamron 200mm lens. I also know I won't have problems with batteries as I used NiMH with it back then. It's a little bigger than the *ist which is a shame. It also offers more in-camera sharpening than the *ist, so it will save me lots of time with PP (the images from my *ist were very soft).

I'd love to have a NX, and it will definitely be my next camera, but it would cost twice as much for a body and PK adaptor.

Again, thanks for your help with the decision
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham..in camera sharpening? Does that mean you shoot jpegs?
hm..maybe the k100D does good jpegs, but those of my *istDs are terrible and imo shooting RAW is a must. Even though the jpegs of the K-x are 'said' to be excellent they did not satisfy me, so it's also RAW with the K-x, and I much suppose that it's not different with the K100D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Graham..in camera sharpening? Does that mean you shoot jpegs?

Embarassed Much of the time, yes Embarassed

I never much got my head around Photoshop-type software, I'm trained in analogue darkroom techniques, and it's just not the same without darkness and stinking fingers Confused

I promise to make more effort in the future and start to explore the art of digital manipulation, especially now that I've discovered UFRaw. But I like the process of taking photos, but not so keen on the process of sitting at a PC for hours Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham! Yes, excellent choice. The K100D is great, I've kept mine even though I got a K10D as well. Manual exposure works fine on the K100D, better than the K10D - at least mine does. And despite the relatively small screen it's eay to focus with manual lenses, well, focal lengths over 90mm anyway.

I use Energizer lithium AAs, they last for ages and ages and ages . . . even with lots of "chimping" and deleting. A lot better than rechargeables that lose their power sitting in the camera and far cheaper than alkalines in the long run. www7dayshop.com is a cheap source.

As for JPEGs vs Raw, the former come out nicely if you set the in-camera sharpening halfway up the scale. But even better is to shoot Raw. Forget the Pentax processing software and just save the images as JPEGs in Picasa - any tweaking needed is quick and requires zero brain power, something which is very important for me! No need to spend hours poring over the computer.

And you can aget a nice one with the 18-55 lens for well under £200, even from a dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K100D arrived today. It's great, I really like it Cool Feels heavier than the *ist D, but the in-camera shake reduction will come in handy for me Embarassed

I'm going to see of Ludo's focus screen fits later, as it's definitely a better screen than standard.

I now have no excuses left as to why I'm not taking more photos Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

That's easy... Your batteries are depleted or you've lost them somewhere Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

That's easy... Your batteries are depleted or you've lost them somewhere Wink

Laughing Good one, I shall remember that Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
The K100D arrived today. It's great, I really like it Cool Feels heavier than the *ist D, but the in-camera shake reduction will come in handy for me Embarassed

I'm going to see of Ludo's focus screen fits later, as it's definitely a better screen than standard.

Oh great!

The screen should work on the K100D, as I used it on my Kx which should use the same screens. I have to check in one of my drawers, but I might also have the Pentax magnifying eyecup: I don't use it and will send it in exchange for the Petri meter, so you'll really have no excuses for out of focus pictures. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I have to check in one of my drawers, but I might also have the Pentax magnifying eyecup: I don't use it and will send it in exchange for the Petri meter, so you'll really have no excuses for out of focus pictures. Very Happy

You were determined not to get the Petri as a gift Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
ludoo wrote:
I have to check in one of my drawers, but I might also have the Pentax magnifying eyecup: I don't use it and will send it in exchange for the Petri meter, so you'll really have no excuses for out of focus pictures. Very Happy

You were determined not to get the Petri as a gift Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hahah well I also have a few drawers full of unused stuff, and don't think I'll own a Pentax DSLR again, so why keep stuff I will never use? Very Happy