Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco Isconar 100mm, edit +close up work
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Isco Isconar 100mm, edit +close up work Reply with quote

Has anybody else on this forum used this lens?

This was a cheapo long lens back in the 50s. It's a triplet with front cell focusing.

It's actually nice and sharp, gives crisp contrast. Flares easily though, probably would less with a hood.

I haven't used it much because it doesn't have click stops or a preset ring, so it's a little bit of a hassle unless you're using a tripod (since you have to visually set the F stop - then check the framing on your image through a stopped down lens - a bother but doable when using a WLF, but a giant pain when using a prism).

Mine is in M42, but they made an Exakta version too.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty reasonable performer to me. Dunno how it would stand up against the Trioplan though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Isconar gives smoother OOF areas. Not sure if it would beat the trioplan in any other category though.

It's a slower lens at f4.5, and without a preset function or auto-diaphragm it's inconvenient in use.

It would be neat to see a direct comparison though.

On the other hand it's far more common and usually cheap when the seller doesn't think they have something that should be expensive because it's old and German. There's an earlier version of this lens that used the "Westar" name too. It's also relatively common. (and a later rare black barrel version)

I've seen some pretty steep prices for Isco lenses recently. I guess ebayers got Isconitis or something. But the f4.5 100 doesn't seem to have been effected, watched several go recently for under $35. I guess because it's relatively slow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some close up work I did with a short extension tube.

This was wide open. Doubtless it would be sharper stopped down - there is some CA but not too bad considering it is a triplet.

It is a little difficult to use with an extension tube as the image is dim enough without it in the first place.