Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HTC Desire S [Android] - straight out of the phone ... errrr
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: HTC Desire S [Android] - straight out of the phone ... errrr Reply with quote

maybe i should say camera Laughing

This is an exact rendering of the light at the moment

It's pretty amazing what these little phones are capable of nowadays!

The phone has a no name camera, not some zeiss or sony ericsson camera

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a light !

These phones give good results nowadays for keeping nice moments in memory. It avoids to fully regret not having taken the big camera.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
What a light !

These phones give good results nowadays for keeping nice moments in memory. It avoids to fully regret not having taken the big camera.

Yes! besides it was raining and not many cameras are weather sealed ... it was easy to pull the phone out, take a quick shot and put it back in the pocket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the gps coord are in the pic, basic for smartphones but absent in cameras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HTC Desire S [Android] - straight out of the phone ... e Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

It's pretty amazing what these little phones are capable of nowadays!

I agree. Since I have my Sony ARC, I leave my compact digicam at home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mobile cameras is getting better!

Here's one from my Samsung Galaxy S II Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm consistently amazed with my HTC Evo's 8mp camera, which is better than my Canon Elph's 8mp IQ, despite the smaller sensor and lens glass. Phones do have a downside in the amount of image data put in the exif, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I think I took with my Evo:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cell-phone contract expires at the end of this month. I'm looking forward to getting a decent smart phone, and one of the things I'm gonna insist on is one that has a camera that takes halfway decent pics. My current phone has a 2mp camera, but the pics always seem to be so soft they're mushy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot Hari!

Funny how during vacation time (or summer at least) we all start resorting to the new instamatics -- our cell phones. Except for Orio of course, who keeps posting great pics taken with dream lenses. Smile

I too used my phone in the past few days, an Acer Liquid, for family snapshots. I could really like it if it had instant shooting instead of having to wait about a second for AF which often makes me miss a shot.

another (involuntary) one in the "girl with a pet" series Smile

100% crop from a different image, not bad for a tiny sensor and a tiny lens, always covered in grime and fingerprints

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My phone too, and my point and shoot pocket camera of choice, plus video of course.

I thought I could ID the camera in this review but not so:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-desire-hd-717295/review?artc_pg=6

Even though there are more than enough camera apps to add features I stick with the bundled app for most things. Let me know if you want a list of camera apps...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

For good cameras in phones, I've found HTC and Samsung tend to provide consistently good results with respectable IQ and minimal vignetting and color loss. I've actually done photo stitches off my Evo that turned out as well as ones from my K-7 Confused

However, the Evo's phone DOES lose a lot of edge focus. Note on the photo below the tree on the left. It goes from in focus to all a blur about 3/4 up. That's one of the photo seams and it's pretty obvious where the shots merged. There are also some small glitches on the right side where Photoshop stitched areas and made them blurry.

That was done with my Evo. Now, if I'm honest, there's a huge blurry spot right in the middle where I didn't get coverage, so I had to copy and paste and then touch up the spot with some surrounding data. However, it was really just a test to see if I could stitch and image from a camera phone.

I don't think it could win any awards other than "most inept use of Photoshop". In short, the lenses provide good IQ for their size, but are clearly not pro lenses.

David