Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss 60/2.8 S-Planar on Canon 60D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Contax Zeiss 60/2.8 S-Planar on Canon 60D Reply with quote

My first "test" in the field with this lens. I normally use a Micro Nikkor 55/2.8. In comparison the Zeiss is much larger and heavier. The heaviness isn't an issue (it's much lighter than my Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar on the Hasselblad!). But the thicker barrel makes it more difficult to hand-hold. I know, a tripod is better but I get decent results with the Nikkor without one. My success rate was not as good yet with the Zeiss, I'll try harder next time. I have contemplated the smaller 60/2.8 C which only goes 1:2. Hmm...

I love the colours, sharpness is great- when I manage to hit it!
Most of these were shot around f/4, except the spider which may have been f/5.6.

EDIT: there are more on my blog: http://markcolman.tv/?p=776

Last edited by Kram on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great captures. Love the vivid colors, especially in the flowers and spider. Any postproduction despite your watermark?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzoo, thanks! Just basic post processing, nothing major. One thing I noticed with this lens compared to the Micro Nikkor 55 is that almost no curve adjustment is ever needed. The Nikkor produces a very flat RAW file.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those flower shots have some serious punch! Great presentation Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
One thing I noticed with this lens compared to the Micro Nikkor 55 is that almost no curve adjustment is ever needed. The Nikkor produces a very flat RAW file.

yes, there are exceptions, but in general we can say that this a typical characteristic of German design lenses (Zeiss, Leica, Schneider) compared to Japanese design lenses (Canon, Nikon, Pentax).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
I normally use a Micro Nikkor 55/2.8. In comparison the Zeiss is much larger and heavier

when you will get your 5DII next year, it will look more balanced

Kram wrote:
But the thicker barrel makes it more difficult to hand-hold

yes, this lens is not fast to focus, barrel need to be tick to be more precise, for macro I move my body so no difference if lens is small, big or on bellows

Kram wrote:
My success rate was not as good yet with the Zeiss, I'll try harder next time

normal, if you are used to a bicycle, switching to a formula 1 may need some time to adapt Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 for me please!
Alien-ish I'd say.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-G, thanks man!

Orio, makes sense.

Himself, yes #3 is quite strange.

poilu, haha! You crack me up! Maybe I will go FF next year but I'm not sure why at this point. Thanks for the encouragement though. I plan on giving it all I've got before contemplating the Zeiss 60 C. Not selling my "bicycle" yet!