Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 - should it be a little "hazy"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 - should it be a little "hazy" Reply with quote

Just got a Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 and it seems a bit hazy at f1.4 with very low contrast. I was just wondering if that is normal. It sharpens up like crazy at f2+. I have the ML 50mm f2.0 and that is also sharp at f2, so just trying to decide if I like the f1.4 wide open.

I really wish it had a half stop in there. I am sure f1.7 would be as good as f2, but it goes straight from f1.4-2.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ML never reaches extraordinary levels of sharpness when stopped down which I think the Olympus and Contax do, amongst others.

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks about like mine. Basically the highlights seem to be glowing a bit depending on how bright they are.

But then this one was at f1.4, too, and it looks better. Almost seems like it is scene dependent.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way the first shot looks.

Are the coatings OK, any dust inside, are the surfaces clean?

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behaves like the one I had, and I think the captures are fantastic as a result!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

Are the coatings OK, any dust inside, are the surfaces clean?

JJ

I don't see anything wrong with it. It probably does need a cleaning, but there is nothing out of the ordinary there.

Thanks for the sanity check. I only got the lens this afternoon, so I still need to get used to the way it renders.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any such haziness with my clean ML 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
Almost seems like it is scene dependent.

The problem is that you were probably expecting much better overall wide-open performance but the fact is (and I always find this a bit ironic) that these lenses never seem to be up to the hype in terms of sharpness, unless of course they costed an eye and a leg or two.

The photo taken outside would not work for me at all, I do not like that kind of effect but the second one, indoors, does seem like a very acceptable result.

I too plan on getting a 1.4 someday but I am afraid it will not be as sharp as my 1.7 wide-open and unless the situation demands it, it makes little sense to buy a 1.4 and then use it as 1.7.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
... and unless the situation demands it, it makes little sense to buy a 1.4 and then use it as 1.7.

1.4 lenses provide smoother bokeh stopped down to f2 or f2.8 than most 1.7.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is reason enough for some test samples hehe Anybody willing to take the task? Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is reason enough for some test samples hehe Anybody willing to take the task? Wink

I did this quite a while ago;

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
Almost seems like it is scene dependent.

The problem is that you were probably expecting much better overall wide-open performance but the fact is (and I always find this a bit ironic) that these lenses never seem to be up to the hype in terms of sharpness, unless of course they costed an eye and a leg or two.

The photo taken outside would not work for me at all, I do not like that kind of effect but the second one, indoors, does seem like a very acceptable result.

I too plan on getting a 1.4 someday but I am afraid it will not be as sharp as my 1.7 wide-open and unless the situation demands it, it makes little sense to buy a 1.4 and then use it as 1.7.

You are probably right. My f2 is so sharp wide open and this is just not stellar unless I stop it back to f2.

As for f1.7, this lens only has full stop clicks. So You get f1.4 or 2, but no f1.7 half stop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

I did this quite a while ago;

Zuiko 50/1.4 at F2

Yashica ML 50/1.4 at F2

Contax 50/1.4 AEJ at F2

Yashica ML 50/2.0 at F2

Leica R 50/2 (E55) at F2

JJ

JJ could you renew these results please Smile!