Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format systems ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Medium format systems ? Reply with quote

I was digging a little the net for information about the medium format systems (damn ! I have an itch !!! Laughing ) . I can use some information from the experienced members here . Seems that the intercheangeable lens systems have mounts that are not compatible?
are there big IQ differences between the different systems ?
Wich have the best (accurate) focusing system ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into a Pentacon 6 system, there is a wide variety of lenses and you can get some good deals on the camera bodies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it would be best if you read about all the common medium format cameras and choose a few that you might like to use then ask here the pros and cons on the cameras....my cameras are Bronica ETRs and Mamiya RB67 pro, it's my choice and you might not like them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used P6 and its a nice but unweildy system, very heavy, no integrated metering.

if i may make a suggestion, that you first decide what format you want to shoot in as this will dictate your choices, and frankly, will be the single most important decision you make from both an artistic and personally pleasurably perspective. imo you will notice a vast improvement in IQ from 35mm in any format, thoug, imo, less so in 645 format.

sometimes this choice is dictated by your intended subject matter. for ex, were i thinking of shooting primarily people/portraits i personlly would pick 6x6, though 645 would word as well, i just dont like that format. were i to shoot primarily landscape i would most definitely pick 6x9, as i find those to be the most stunning in IQ and the wide format lends itself to such shots.

for me personally, if money was no object, i would have either the mamiya 6 system or the fuji/bessa 667. both are relatively compact for MF, both are rangefinders and both have great metering.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly love the square format, and that is covered with the Yashica Mat 124. A truly fine camera and
lens that I used to initiate myself into medium format. This was stolen along with some other gear, so
I am not sure what I'll eventually use in the 6x6 format.

I still have my favorite which is the Pentax 645. Tony is correct in noting that it doesn't cover as much
'real estate' but even at that it's a big step up from 35mm systems. But for me, the Pentax 645 is a
TRULY dependable camera that just keeps on going. It is also a relatively light and compact system.
There are no complicated bells and whistles, and the metering when I need it is spot on.

Although the lenses have jumped up in price since the Pentax 645-D was introduced, they are still in
the ballpark of affordability. Bodies are available pretty cheap. A 'bargain' body went for $110 a few
weeks ago. The KEH outlet called my own a 'bargain' when I purchased it a few years ago. They are
REALLY conservative in their ratings, and mine had only 2 small scratches near the base plate. Shocked
Otherwise, it was in fine shape.

The body is TOUGH and well built to withstand some abuse.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use quite a few Pentacon 6 lenses with my Pentax 645. I have a CZJ red MC 180mm, a 300mm and a 50mm. They all work great. I just like the feel of the 645. Not much different from a large SLR. I also have two Kodak Medalist for the 6x9cm format and am having one modified to use 120 film. The other one I'm going to use the ground glass adapter back and sheet film. Lots of ways to go medium format. Just a matter of how new you want your system and how deep your pockets are.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought into Pentax 6x7 system because of the Takumar-quality lenses. 6x7 because I wanted to make landscape photos. The camera itself is shaped like a giant 35mm SLR. Operated like SLR too. I'm real happy with it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted by a folder ,for the beginning , but it seems that they are mainly zone focusing and don't know if could be satisfactory ... No deep pockets ,sadly Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
I was tempted by a folder ,for the beginning , but it seems that they are mainly zone focusing and don't know if could be satisfactory ... No deep pockets ,sadly Laughing

Depend what you like to shoot , if people is main choice, coupled RF folder camera is essential. Not all expensive, good one start around 150 USD. If mainly landscape , architecture , external RF or no RF at all fine.

I did try and hold nearly 100 folder cameras and several medium format camera systems. TLR, SLR etc.

My 1) choice is Pentax 645 2) place shared by many cameras, Pentacon SIX, Ricohflex TLR, Rolleicord, Rolleiflex TLR , many folders

If you are short on money, best choice in your country I think a Pentacon SIX with lenses what you can afford.
or/and some folder camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

Depend what you like to shoot , if people is main choice, coupled RF folder camera is essential. Not all expensive, good one start around 150 USD. If mainly landscape , architecture , external RF or no RF at all fine.

I did try and hold nearly 100 folder cameras and several medium format camera systems. TLR, SLR etc.

My 1) choice is Pentax 645 2) place shared by many cameras, Pentacon SIX, Ricohflex TLR, Rolleicord, Rolleiflex TLR , many folders

If you are short on money, best choice in your country I think a Pentacon SIX with lenses what you can afford.
or/and some folder camera.

Attila: Why do you feel that a coupled rangefinder camera in the folder category is good for people? I value your
opinion, so I am only asking because I do not know why it would be your preference for people shoots, at least
as far as folders are concerned.

Best,
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I use quite a few Pentacon 6 lenses with my Pentax 645. I have a CZJ red MC 180mm, a 300mm and a 50mm. They all work great. I just like the feel of the 645. Not much different from a large SLR. I also have two Kodak Medalist for the 6x9cm format and am having one modified to use 120 film. The other one I'm going to use the ground glass adapter back and sheet film. Lots of ways to go medium format. Just a matter of how new you want your system and how deep your pockets are.

Hey Dawg! I certainly agree on the feel of the Pentax 645, it fits my small to medium-sized hands beautifully. And,
how is the CZJ 300 for you? It seems that the CZJ 300 and Pentax-A 300 are both in about the same price range these
days.

I don't think I've seen any shots from you on P645? I did a search and haven't come up with anything. I'm always striving to
see other members' P645 images, as that is how I learn more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there is no doubt that larry, attila and many others do great work with 645 cameras. i do think that moving from 35mm, where aspect ratio is both constant 3:2 and horizontal, provides some real issues of comfort, orientation and perspective that one does not fully understand or appreciate until one actually uses the equipment. for me, the vertical orientation of 645 was something i could not get used to or even really feel comfortable with. i hadnt really thought about that before i spent $400 on a fuji!

similarly with 6x6, i loved the look of 'squares' and so i thought that would be a perfect 'go to' format for me. but i do a lot of landscape and street scenes, and while many like 6x6 for these, after i used it for awhile, i didnt. but i loved it for portraits, for parties and informal get togethers where i'm doing more intimate people shots.

so my point was really to think long and hard about how you shoot, what perspectives you enjoy, how you visualize scenes, before spending too much money. perhaps just buy a couple of cheap folders in different aspect ratios to determine what one likes best...
tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Larry seems I wasn't clear I not prefer over on 645 SLR folder cameras to shoot people. I thought only if somebody want to shoot portraits, small group of people accurate focus at wide aperture is essential which is require coupled RF. One folder camera is famous about portraits , this is Voigtlander folders equipped with fantastic Heliar lens. Heliar can make such a good portraits and people shoot with exceptional 3D. I found this was especially true with older Bessa RF Heliar , I found less good newest Bessa II with Color-Heliar lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started 120 film with an Agfa Isolette ii. It's a small folder with scale focus; I like it and it's in semi regular use.

I was considering a P6 mount camera but they're seemingly untrustworthy and some models will break if you adjust shutter speed without winding on 1st; this is an accident waiting to happen. I went for a Mamiya C330 instead as the ability to change sceeens and lenses seemed great. I've used it once to test, but it's been sat in storage until fit and well to use it again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I started 120 film with an Agfa Isolette ii. It's a small folder with scale focus; I like it and it's in semi regular use.

I was considering a P6 mount camera but they're seemingly untrustworthy and some models will break if you adjust shutter speed without winding on 1st; this is an accident waiting to happen. I went for a Mamiya C330 instead as the ability to change sceeens and lenses seemed great. I've used it once to test, but it's been sat in storage until fit and well to use it again.

Were you happy with the sharpness of the prints/scans out from your Isolette ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of images from the Isolette III. It was almost dark, as you can see by the strong shadows. I think this was
about a 2 second exposure on Provia film. Also, the image of the Trillium seems almost 3-dimensional to me.

The Isolette is probably a good thing to start with, and you will probably keep it for all time. Lightweight, solid, and a
good lens whether it's the Solinar or even the Agnar 3-element lens. In medium format, the size of the negative
makes so much difference that the type of lens becomes somewhat minor.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, Laurence, love both of these! A recent addition from GB, proven shooter (at least for
the former owner Wink )

Looking for a day without rain to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry.....maybe problems getting Velvia if you use it?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Excellent work, Laurence, love both of these! A recent addition from GB, proven shooter (at least for
the former owner Wink )

Looking for a day without rain to try it.

Oh man...! Shocked

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Larry.....maybe problems getting Velvia if you use it?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

Thank you for thinking of this! I am okay so far for supply of Velvia, but I don't know when it all
might go away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

Hey Dawg! I certainly agree on the feel of the Pentax 645, it fits my small to medium-sized hands beautifully. And,
how is the CZJ 300 for you? It seems that the CZJ 300 and Pentax-A 300 are both in about the same price range these
days.

I don't think I've seen any shots from you on P645? I did a search and haven't come up with anything. I'm always striving to
see other members' P645 images, as that is how I learn more.

I'll post some tomorrow. I've not posted any because my scanning is not that great. Still and all I'll post some for you my friend. Sure wish my scanner could make it look as good as they do on 8x10 prints.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
A couple of images from the Isolette III. It was almost dark, as you can see by the strong shadows. I think this was
about a 2 second exposure on Provia film. Also, the image of the Trillium seems almost 3-dimensional to me.

Very nice pictures! Especially the first one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allways wanted a Pentacon six .I know they can have some problems ,but I'll try to get it cheap. I found one with Biometar 80/2.8 zebra .How is the lens?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Allways wanted a Pentacon six .I know they can have some problems ,but I'll try to get it cheap. I found one with Biometar 80/2.8 zebra .How is the lens?

Lens is good, most SIX without Cla'd slow at fast speeds, some of them overlap frames a bit . I bought may 10 pcs I didn't find overlap issues on many. 1/125 not works pretty usual.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya 645?