Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oh boy! It happened again!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Oh boy! It happened again! Reply with quote

In the last weeks and months I was able to reduce my collection of lenses considerably, and I really wanted to stay away from buying new ones.
GAS was a part of my history.

But even if I do no longer suffer from acute G.A.S. I still cannot resist a lens that really sings when mounted to a cam!

This is my latest acquisition:

It's a mint- Minolta MD W.Rokkor 2.0/28 (very well adapted to EOS, + infinity).

That's my first Rokkor lens that I can use on my EOS (and NEX) cams. And although I knew that Rokkors are good lenses, I did not know that they can be THAT good!

Honestly, this lens probably is the best and most versatile 28mm I have ever shot with, including lenses such as a Kiron 2/28, a Rollei 2.8/28, the latest Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/28 or the new Zeiss Distagon 2/28 ZE!

This Rokkor even performs on a 5D without flaws, apperently. And it's a beautiful lens as well.
I was so amazed that I bought this lens immediately.

Guys, when does that ever end?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice lens!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every new lens, camera is a new challenge why we stop it ? we can't increase much variety of subjects in our living environment , buy , sell gears can do it well Wink Congrats for your new gem!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can only stop by necessity, and, congratulations! Looking fwd to seeing photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations !
I was looking for one for a long time , but was out of my reach Laughing
I am curious to see the results .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oh boy! It happened again! Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
That's my first Rokkor lens that I can use on my EOS (and NEX) cams. And although I knew that Rokkors are good lenses, I did not know that they can be THAT good!

Congratulations Carsten. That's a beauty, and quite rare too. I did tell you about the quality of Rokkors ages ago! Wink

I don't have any way of using Minolta lenses with my Canon, except for holding the lens against the camera mount and focussing "with my feet", so I'm restricted to using them with film cams. It says something about the lenses that I've now got 4 different cameras for them.

And that's why I don't want to convert them to EOS. I'd rather convert the Canon camera, as koji has done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations Carsten!
your excitement oozes through the monitor. Attila is soo right! this doesn't end, it's just the beginning Wink
looking very much forward to seeing the results.
Minolta...ahh, used to be my favorite brand. no digital cam to use them on though, I should do like Peter and take out my first SLR, a Minolta Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Carsten. Great find and lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carston, it never ends. It is an incurable disease that is possible to control with some effort, but there is no end to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find, a already converted Rokkor, is this a cheap lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice find, a already converted Rokkor, is this a cheap lens?

I'm not familiar with current prices for this lens. It is quite uncommon, I believe. I suspect you'll come across more Kiron 28/2s than you will Rokkors. But historically, the 28/2 was not especially cheap. It sold new for over $500 and used prices in Exc condition would range between $150 and $250. Chances are that nowadays the prices for clean examples won't be much different, or may be even a bit higher. Look what's happened to prices on the 58/1.2 now that the word has gotten out about how good of a lens it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not cheap at all, in no meaning of the word.
But still somewhat affordable and much cheaper that a Zeiss or Leica 28mm although it does play in the same league!

If it was usable on an EOS without modification, it surely would be tagged at €300,- or so.

It's quite a rare lens and the only reason why its price has not gone through the ceiling is that it normally cannot be used on any fullframe DSLR, I guess.

The German "FotoMagazin" annually publishes a price guide for used items. The prices there are those that you can expect from a seller to pay you for a lens, so they are vendor's purchase prices. And in that list this Rokkor 2/28 is rated with €130,- (non-converted of course). I do not have the Kadlubek at hand, but it surely will show the price of this lens as higher than most other Rokkor wide angles.

To cut a long story short, I bought this lens in excellent condition from a friend (converted and infinity adjusted) for €150,- - which I think is a fair price.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

130€ is a nice price, 150€ converted is excellent!