Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

That is really crazy price!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: That is really crazy price! Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Minolta 5.6/250 mirror for 555€ Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, those short (250/300mm) mirror lenses rack up big prices, especially if they are from reputable maker...i guess because of their portability

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two on Ebay UK at the moment approaching £600... Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: That is really crazy price! Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Click here to see on Ebay.de

Minolta 5.6/250 mirror for 555€ Shocked

I noticed that too.
Despite their portability i think that is pricey for what you get..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two on eBay UK are these two:

Click here to see on Ebay

As you can see, they're on US eBay too. Both are over $900 and counting. Loony is the word that comes to mind.

Hell, there's even a crappy Quantary on US eBay witha BIN of $300:

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

950 USD is probably the average on this lens now.They go higher then that for mint condition ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices are ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I find somewhat surprising is the large sums being paid for these lenses when they are in Minolta MC/MD mount. Surely, after buying them, the owner will have to pay additional funds to get the mount converted to whatever DSLR they're using, right? I just can't see die-hard Minolta MC/MD fans willing to pay that much money for a compact mirror, when you can get compact 80-200 zooms that are almost as small.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I guess what I find somewhat surprising is the large sums being paid for these lenses when they are in Minolta MC/MD mount. Surely, after buying them, the owner will have to pay additional funds to get the mount converted to whatever DSLR they're using, right? I just can't see die-hard Minolta MC/MD fans willing to pay that much money for a compact mirror, when you can get compact 80-200 zooms that are almost as small.

Almost any lens from this one go to China or Japan , mirror less cameras main market is Japan so not hassle with Minolta mount.

Usually Japanese people have lot more money to spend useless things than anybody else Wink So I not surprise at all, another targeted country is China where people wasn't in good position in past, this is changed dramatically in last decade 80% of my customers come from China, Japan or Taiwan. They are show respect about obsolete gears unlike western people who have 3000 USD for a new camera and don't have 300 USD for a good old lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Almost any lens from this one go to China or Japan , mirror less cameras main market is Japan so not hassle with Minolta mount.

Usually Japanese people have lot more money to spend useless things than anybody else Wink So I not surprise at all, another targeted country is China where people wasn't in good position in past, this is changed dramatically in last decade 80% of my customers come from China, Japan or Taiwan. They are show respect about obsolete gears unlike western people who have 3000 USD for a new camera and don't have 300 USD for a good old lens.

Well pointed! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good point. I hadn't thought of that, or about how popular the mirrorless cameras are becoming. Still stuck in the old times, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay is a dangerous place to buy in a sort of way.

Today I realized that some people just get lenses for like double, some times triple the medium price they usually fetch and we're not even talking about minty mint condition with "hood, caps and case" kind of lenses, just.. lenses.

This special case I am thinking of was a Tamron SP 35-80 that was bough as 'Buy Now' for £85 when the last couple of lenses sold cost less than £30. Why would anybody do that? This is the kind of stuff that drives prices up.

Just minutes ago I was checking some 135 Takumars that sold for less than £15 with original hoods then I saw one with a 'Buy Now' of more than £100!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy It Now is both good and bad. For stores selling accessories cheap, like step rings and many adapters, it doesn't matter, and sometimes price can be negotiated down with a bulk buy. For ordinary stuff with outrageous BIN prices, the seller is either looking for suckers, or for really desperate people who MUST have something RIGHT NOW! Ignore the BIN prices; look at eBay COMPLETED LISTINGS to see the reality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What RioRIco said, and pay special attention to where the auctions closed at, then look at the discrepancies between those prices and all the red colored BIN prices.

Anybody who suffers from GAS can tell you what it's like. You decide that there's a piece that you just gotta have, then you go onto eBay and find out that there's something like this: one auction with eight days left to go with a price that's already been bid up to about half what you were hoping to pay, and one BIN with a price that's substantially more than you were willing to pay, but the item is so clean in the photos and it's whispering to you, "buy me -- buy me now! And so you give in and go for that high priced item because you just can't wait and you're afraid that it might be a long time before another one that clean comes along.

And then, invariably, about a week after you've gotten your piece, you suddenly notice that eBay is flooded with them, and they all seem to be selling for about half what you paid for yours. Cool A good way to learn a lesson.