Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What you think about image quality of this lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: What you think about image quality of this lens? Reply with quote

Well, you know it. You've got new lens. You put it on camera and take few usual test shots to check it's performance. Most of the time you say, it's ok - with some PP. Sometimes you know even from these few shots, that the lens is bad....and sometimes you say WOW, there is something special! Like when you took first wide open shots with your CZ Sonnar 2.8/85, do you remember? Wink
I own few top lenses and after trying a lot of different lenses, I'm very skeptical to unknown lenses and even more to hyped lenses... But after few shots with this lens, it was something like Idea, there must be something about it!

Here is few photos I made this weekend with the lens... I don't tell you type and manufacturer of the lens now, because I don't want to influence your opinion.

Only hint is that it's usual portrait focal length.

Just tell me please what you think about colors and bokeh rendering, CA and so on. If you want, you can try to guess the lens or at least the manufacturer of it.

All photos made with Canon FF. Except exposure correction in DPP no PP, no color or contrast manipulation, no CAs correction. Picture style set to "Neutral", Saturation set to -1 and Contrast to -1 or 0.

What really blows my mind is color fidelity of this lens, very smooth oof areas rendering and lack of CAs and LoCAs. Resolution is not on pair with my other lenses, but still good enough. Performance at long distances is poor - even stopped down. Well, not exactly universal lens, but I think it can be fantastic for portraits.

Anyway, maybe I'm already foolish from all the lenses Wink, hence I'm asking you.

First LoCAs test

@wide-open and @f5.6

For comparison same shot with APO Lanthar 3.5/90 @ f3.5

Wide-open
#'s 1, 2, 3

#2 is poorly composed, but look at the lack of CAs in bottles bokeh

@f5.6
#'s 4, 5, 6

And these photos shows real potential of this lens, actually the flower and the girl are one of my best photos I've ever made! Both wide open and at dull daylight...the portrait is even resized JPEG straight from camera, because I forgot to switch to raw Confused

#'s 7, 8, 9 wide-open

Snail is @f5.6 - #'s 10, 11

Last edited by BRunner on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice lens, very sharp.

I actually think it's a bit too sharp for portrait work, the photo of the girl is excellent but I think would look even better if softer to be kinder on the skin and cover any blemishes.

The flower shot you also pointed out as being one of your best is stunning, here the sharpness really makes the picture and those pollen-covered stamens do pop out of the image.

I really like this lens and look forward to finding out what it is!

Thanks for sharing, I love your photographs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like this lens and it already give you the best photos you ever made then we can not help you anymore Very Happy
personally this lens doesn't blow my mind enough that I would want to buy it, but your samples are indeed very good

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
if you like this lens and it already give you the best photos you ever made then we can not help you anymore Very Happy
personally this lens doesn't blow my mind enough that I would want to buy it, but your samples are indeed very good

Yes, but you have T* glass.

To someone like me that doesn't, I find that lens, not stunning, but impressive enough that I would want to buy it if I saw it at the right price for my budget.

Not being negative to you at all, just saying that to eyes not accustomed to Zeiss T* quality it looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and sharp samples. Wink

I love the lens guessing games, although I'm always very far from the answer. I'd guess it's some macro lens perhaps.. Vivitar (Tokina) 90/2.5. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wow, very nice lens, very sharp.

symphonic wrote:
Nice and sharp samples. Wink

If you take close look at the first three LoCAs test samples, you realize, that even @f5.6 the lens is slightly softer than Lanthar wide-open. On the other side, bokeh CAs are comparable low.
But the lack of color fringing around edges and good contrast is what makes the lens look sharp on resized images.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the lack of CA. I was looking at some of my pics on my dad's laptop earlier and was amazed how different they looked to my monitor. Seems to me everything looks sharper on my monitor than it does on my dad's laptop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a very good lens. It has a bit brownish color cast or vintage look but no problem. The bokeh looks like Japanese lens bokeh imho Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you consider 135mm in the portrait range? I'm thinking this is an f/4 lens, maybe f/3.5. If it's a 135mm, Jupiter comes to mind. Something else maybe German?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nix, looks Japanese. I'm guessing a 60s Japanese lens from a quality manufacterer.

My J-11A is nowhere near that sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens, but which one? I have no idea Crying or Very sad !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea who made that lens, or which one it is. But I tend to agree with poilu -- it's nothing special regarding sharpness. There were three, perhaps four photos that I thought were critically sharp. As for the photo of the girl, I think it worked well for precisely the reasons why I think it's an average lens when sharpness is concerned. I don't see that cutting edge sharpness in the photo of her. In fact, only her eyes are truly in focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looking at the snail and a flower shot, I'd would consider it very good for sharpness (at least in close up) when taken into account that no PP was done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have no idea about what lens it is. I wish I had one though. Beautiful, beautiful color and render. Bokeh very nice too IMHO. If I had to guess, I'd say something like the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 SL?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you replies...maybe I was little over zealous in my first post Wink I agree, but I mentioned it in first post, that sharpness isn't what I praise this lens for.

It's moderately fast 85mm lens and to put things more in perspective I put this lens in good company of lenses with comparable speed/FL and did quick four comparison shots of top of my refrigerator. Primoplan 1.9/75 is different speed and FL, but it's on purpose.

If you look at the images, you can see, that Rollei Sonnar is sharpness champion, it's probably my sharpest portrait lens. Tamron SP is slightly worse, but still very sharp and contrasty. Now Primoplan stopped down to f2.8, contrast is low, details are fuzzy and colors are muted. But oof areas rendering is very pleasing and smooth.

And last my lens. It shares some characteristics of both worlds. Very good contrast and color rendering of modern lenses and the fuzziness and smooth bokeh rendering of Primoplan. And that si what caught my eye. It's something like Primoplan on stereoids Wink, but at fraction of it's price and with better colors and contrast. That is why I think it can be interesting portraiture lens.

Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85 @f2.8

Tamron SP 2.5/90 @f2.5

Primoplan 1.9/75 @f2.8

My lens 85mm @wide-open Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got all you could from the mystery, can you tell us its name now? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Jupiter 9 looks similar Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to tell from just a few samples, based on the highlights in the bokeh I would say is it not a Jupiter-9.

The bokeh looks a lot like a Takumar, but the DOF does not look like that of a f/1.9 lens.
Also the nearly absent CA does not really fit, and makes me think more of an older lens.
It could be a Steinheil Culminar, or perhaps a Schacht Travenar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics take too long to download for me, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your replies. It wasn't purpose to spread any a mystery about this lens. Sometimes a MFL fan needs rest from all the "serious" shooting with all the Bioatars, Planars, Elmarits... Wink Good way is to put some obscure lens on camera go out and try to make some good pictures. Most of the times, results are not worth of mentioning, but I think, that this lens deserved it's 5 minutes of fame Wink

Orios analysis was very accurate. It's old Leitz Weltzar Hektor 2.5/85mm projection lens. Simple pre-war 4/3 design, manufactured around 1960. It has very strong coating on rear element, which probably lowers chip reflections. So it's "digital ready" Smile

I think, it is definitely worth 8€ I paid for it. And finally the lens alone, mounted on Pentax helicoid.

Last edited by BRunner on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed a nice find, lens is certainly usable
but even if it worth 8€ today, when it was new it probably cost more than the Rollei Sonar new

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 Euro sounds like a good investment, after inspecting your photos!

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrrrgh, I can't believe I didn't guess it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah! Why didn't I buy the Wetzlar 85mm proj lens I saw the other day!

Now I wish I had.

I have a 1960's Aldis Anstigmat 2.5/85 Projector lens and it is very soft.