Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reflections within barrel? Example shots...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reflections within barrel? Example shots... Reply with quote

Hi. Last weekend I shot some bands and some photos show this "color fog" you can see in attached pictures. All of those photos were shot with Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 AEG (C/Y). Is there anything I can do to reduce this effect? I mean, except for not shooting against spotlights.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hood maybe?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
A hood maybe?

Yes, had one attached. The hood certainly does not help when shooting against the lights, as you see in the second picture. I was using 4 different lenses that evening and only the planar showed that fog...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on this lens but the fogging seems severe - is there any internal 'misting' I wonder.

I once had a 135mm f3.5 pre-set lens that gave similar results and found the problem there was a glossy black T2 adapter ring, but I wouldn't have thought your lens would have been made with a polished interior!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand not wanting this effect all the time, but on those shots, especially the second, it adds a great rock'n'roll atmoshphere IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use a filter? A filter can cause this too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This effect can be caused by reflections between the shiny digital sensor and the rear element of the lens. Basically, light scatters back and forth between the two and creates the fog.

Does the Zeiss have a fairly flat rear surface to the last element? This would make the effect worse.

Mind you, I would have thought the Zeiss would have a good anti-reflection coating on the rear element, which should prevent the reflections. Can you see if the rear element looks to have a good coating?

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handled four different copies of this lens and never had such bad results.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, the "foggy" results are not that bad. Well, it's rock, and that fog add's to the atmosphere. But in general I don't want this effect. I don't have much time left to inspect this effect the next few days, but I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your responses! Really!
Forgot to add, no filter used...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant "bad" as in "technically bad", not artistically.
I also think that the photos came out with a nice atmosphere.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Yes, agreed! But I just want to understand why and when this effect occurs. I don't always shot rock bands, and i'd like to avoid this when I don't want it...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes, agreed! But I just want to understand why and when this effect occurs. I don't always shot rock bands, and i'd like to avoid this when I don't want it...

The Planar 1.4/85 has a large front glass, and the T* coating, although undoubtedly the best there is, can not perform miracles: if you point this lens towards a strong light source, it will create some flares.
The point is the amount, which should not be as invasive as your photos show.
Try the lens in a daylight situation with a blue sky and bright sun, do some backlight photos, trying some different angles. Then let's see the results, I'll be able to tell you if your lens behaves normally for a 1.4/85 Planar or if there is some problem to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original question and seeing the responses so far, in my estimation, there's not much you can do. You may want a better (technical) result, but I doubt any other lens could do it. In fact the majority would be much much worse. The conditions are really harsh like shooting into the sun on a hazy day.

Orio and "fuzzywuzzy" (I'm sorry I don't know your real name) are right. They have a great atmosphere. I appreciate that over technical, because the "art" is sometimes lost to us photography technophiles here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, the atmosphere of the shots is great, no doubt for me. There's even more in my collection of that evening. But that's not what I would expect from a Zeiss lens. I'll test the lens in some back light situations the next few days...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
This effect can be caused by reflections between the shiny digital sensor and the rear element of the lens. Basically, light scatters back and forth between the two and creates the fog.

That's interesting, the other day I got some whacky rainbow flare on a lens with a badly fungused rear element.

This was taken at sunset, the sun is almost right behind the truck. I was going to try to duplicate this but yard work has consumed my sunny evenings lately.

edit - this is a 100% crop. FWIW the lens is a 200mm Nikkor Q, and I did use the built in lens hood. The lens is decently sharp when used in sensible lighting conditions and stopped down a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

That's interesting, the other day I got some whacky rainbow flare on a lens with a badly fungused rear element.

Very nice diffraction pattern. Note the cross shape - this means the diffraction is off a periodic structure with rectangular symmetry. The obvious candidate is the sensor itself.

I guess the bright spot of light from the reflection on the car is diffracting off the sensor and the diffraction pattern is being reflected back onto the sensor by the rear element in the lens.

Mark