Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format digitalising with DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Medium format digitalising with DSLR Reply with quote

When showing some portraits in the BW-film gallery,
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-few-portraits-t47578.html
I was asked by Yebisu how I did the digitalising with my Canon MKII.

Here we go:

First tried with my flatbed Epson perfection 2450. Results are ok, but not really satisfying. So I decided to find another way, without spending to much money.
Most was here on file. My first setup came with a selfmade filmholder and it was quite a challenge to make the guiding slots for the film. At least I decided to spend some money in an Imacon film holder, which ist simply perfect.
What did I use, beside some wood....?
Two Ihagee Exakta rails with bellows (no more bellows, needed the holders), part of a broken Leica bellows (the black part holding the film holder, allows to alter the hight for two row scanning), some tripod screws, Olympus focusing tube and two Olympus macro lenses. Canon adapter, two more extension rings. Using the 4,5/135 for single row scanning and the 4/80 for two row scanning. Did some comparing tests with Leica R Macro-Elmarit 2,8/60 and S-Plannar 2,8/60, but the Olympus lenses are way better for that job.
For the light, I use a flash with softbox or beauty dish. Stitching will be done in Photoshop with Photomerge.
Single row scanning gives a file of around 40MP for a 6x7.

Hope I've made my workflow understandable.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are nuts, great to have you here Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
you are nuts, great to have you here Very Happy

LOL, that was my first thought as well Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take that as compliments..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anyway, this setup works nice with 6x9, too. Made a 3 row scan of a Fuji slide which resulted in a modest 18928x12133 size file (some serious work for my computer).
We have it with 140cm x 90cm hanging in our house.
OK, that was nuts, but I wanted to try it....

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus. Incredible!

It's posts like this that make this forum so amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent !
This is very impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to sharing it!