Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Biometar 120 f/2.8 or wait for a Planar 80mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: CZJ Biometar 120 f/2.8 or wait for a Planar 80mm? Reply with quote

I have a Sonnar 135mm and a Sonnar 180mm and a Sonnar 300mm as well as a Pancolar 50mm soon to be mine..I hope... I have a Vivitar series 1 85 f/1.4. Is there any reason any one can tell me to get either the CZJ 120 or the 80. I'm trying to avoid redundancy in my future lens collection. No I don't have any CZ/Contax lens as yet and the way they are priced I may never have any.

Is there that much difference in the 120 Biometar and the 80mm Planar? I have a small slot to fill with the 120mm but I already have the 85 Viv and am very happy with it so far. IQ is very good. But I don't have the 100-120 slot filled. Any and all advice is welcome.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Vivitar 85 and Sonnar 135 don't need either of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, and since you only mentioned primes, I would try to get some nice zooms (two?) that cover a fairly good focal length range like 28 > 200.I dont think anywone can "live" solely on prime lenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest
a) 100mm prime: Pentacon/Meyer 2.8/100 or more pricey Contax Sonnar 3.5/100. Nikkors are reputedly good...well, almost all 100mm primes are fine lenses.
or b) any 90-100mm macro, Tamron 2.5/90 SP is good and compact, more pricey option is APO Lanthar 3.5/90
or c) Contax or Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85. It is same focal lenght as your Vivitar, but the lens is really tiny, the Rollei version is even smaller than your Pancolar 50. I think, that you'll find it superior to your Vivitar at same apertures, not to mention western Zeiss colors.

Planar is big and duplicate to your Vivitar and Sonnar 135 is in all aspects better lens than Biometar 120.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
The way I see it, and since you only mentioned primes, I would try to get some nice zooms (two?) that cover a fairly good focal length range like 28 > 200.I dont think anywone can "live" solely on prime lenses.

I have a Pentax 18-55 DA and a Sigma 50-500 EX DG APO Zoom (The "Bigma") so I'm covered as far as the 18-500mm range goes. The primes are nice to have as situational set ups go but the Zooms are for everyday walk-abouts when you do not plan or know what focal length will be needed. I have that and will up-grade the 18-55 DA soon to a Pentax SMC DA* Series 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM Wide Angle . Also I plan on getting a 12-24 or a 10-20 something to go really wide angle. I think after what Attila said I may lean more towards the 35mm Flektogon. With my Pentax sensor that would be close to "normal" lens length. Or is there a better recommendation?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see a need for either if you are happy with the setup you now have. the difference FL-wise between 120 and 135 is not something you would ever conciously choose between. my setup is the opposite of yours, i have the planar 85mm and the biometar 120mm, as i dont like 135 fl so much and that setup serves me well.

i would say that the planar is the best IQ lens ive ever used. i dont know anything about your viv, but i would throw out there you may want to look for a well priced planar just to compare, as i dont think you'd ever have a problem recouping your outlay.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Big Dawg wrote:

I have a Pentax 18-55 DA ...

Thus, i suppose you are looking for a lens to be mounted on a Pentax body.
What about a Pentax 105/2.8 (either the SMC Takumar or the -K version) ? They are razor sharp (sometimes, a bit too much for portraits) and render a nice bokeh ...

Moreover, 105mm is far enough from your Viv 85 and your Sonnar 135 to appreciate the different focal length ...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 35/2.8 zebra flek and love it...Over spent on getting it.....But I like what it can do and that is the main thing for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I bought a 35/2.8 zebra flek and love it...Over spent on getting it.....But I like what it can do and that is the main thing for me.

Thanks to all. Mo I'm looking at a CZJ 35 right now. Got to take the plunge there though. Looks like cold water from my wallets viewpoint.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the later 35/2.4 Flek. It's a very good lens!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
mo wrote:

Thanks to all. Mo I'm looking at a CZJ 35 right now. Got to take the plunge there though. Looks like cold water from my wallets viewpoint.

I know I burnt a hole in mine..cleaned out my lens savings fund Very Happy But I was happy with the results it can produce.The only thing I would try and find out is how loose/stiff is the focus ring. I did post a thread somewhere with samples from the Flek here is one below.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin and Mo. My funds are dwindling as I buy a few of these but I may still have enough when the dust settles.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Thanks Martin and Mo. My funds are dwindling as I buy a few of these but I may still have enough when the dust settles.

I understand this... Very Happy Good luck with the hunt!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:

What about a Pentax 105/2.8 (either the SMC Takumar or the -K version) ? They are razor sharp (sometimes, a bit too much for portraits) and render a nice bokeh

I would love to have this problem.

btw, i have a cz 85 mm planar, but rarely use it. it is just not as pleasing to me as my mamiya gear. just my own taste.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

I understand this... Very Happy Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks Mo.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
indianadinos wrote:

What about a Pentax 105/2.8 (either the SMC Takumar or the -K version) ? They are razor sharp (sometimes, a bit too much for portraits) and render a nice bokeh

I would love to have this problem.

btw, i have a cz 85 mm planar, but rarely use it. it is just not as pleasing to me as my mamiya gear. just my own taste.

Not as pleasing in what way? Too sharp? Too Soft? Too much saturation? Too little saturation or contrast? Too hard to use? Too heavy? Or just not the feel or style you like? Just curious, as I am looking to buy one...Maybe.... and would like all opinions.