Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EDITED:it's a dog eat dog world...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: EDITED:it's a dog eat dog world... Reply with quote

not really, more like 'hawk eat mouse'. Very Happy

this was taken with what i thought would be a throwaway from a recent 'group' purchase, a yashica ml 135/2.8 which i heard nothing but bad things about. its on my ep2 at iso 400 about 100 yards away, over the stream outside my front door. i post it more by way of a lucky capture than any comment on the lens, which btw is much better than i thought. i needed to do some pp because it was so far away...much cropping. also i couldnt have gotten this shot w/o the fabulous olly attachable evf.

EDIT: i thought i would add the original uncropped and a recent photo of the stream across which the shot was taken, to give some perpective.

canon 5d/yashica ml 24mm: Foggy Night

Last edited by rbelyell on Sun May 22, 2011 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, not one comment! thats kind of amazing given this scene. i know the IQ isnt magazine cover worthy, but the capture is one that 90% of us never even see in our lifetimes. for 20 years ive lived in a place where i commonly see hawks, vultures, heron, even eagle. we see them with prey in their talon, but to see them feeding, let alone get lucky enough to have a camera with the right lens to get it on film, is kind of singular.

is it the scene itself thats upsetting? or do folks think the IQ is just too poor?

Last edited by rbelyell on Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well catched, rbelyell. As in many snapshots, the difficulty of grabbing the decisive moment makes up for the not ideal IQ.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much! coming from someone with your talent, that means a lot to me. i should post the original photo, where you could hardly see the hawk among the tree canopy. were it not for the 10x vf i would never have seen him well enoiught to even attempt a shot. thanks again orio.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this is one of the time when the 2x crop came to save.

By the way, great catch of the feeding and you must also have good eye seight to see the birds so far and so high up the tree.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much MP.

yes, 2x really worked for me here. i had just received in mail a 'batch' email purchase with this lens, which i was going to immediately post for sale because i never heard anything good about it, but i said 'why not just take it out for a test'. my wife, dog, myself amd lens went out for walk around our home, amd as we were walking i spotted this hawk flying ground level through the trees towards our stream. we followed him to the water, where after a while we spotted him on the opposite bank, hiding amidst the tree canopy. when i looked through my trusty attachable evf at 10x, i saw he had a mouse!

tbh the original photo is so far away, even with the 270mm fl, that you could hardly see the bird. i thinki will post that photo....so this is a huge crop, thus the less than stellar IQ.