Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon 1.4/35 Contax recently acquired
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Distagon 1.4/35 Contax recently acquired Reply with quote

Finally I got this dream lens Smile
Less than half price of current average price on eBay.

But somehow I suspect something wrong with this lens.
First the contrast is little bit low. by the way I havent used hood yet.
Second, the out of focus area at the border at wide open are bizzare, the pattern looks like radial blur.
Is it the character of this len or I got an invalid lens?

I will post the problem in Manual Focus Lenses forum.

Below is my shot that I like. Also to show you the bizzare bokeh (I like it though Smile )

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nixland
I have moved your post to the Manual Focus Lenses section.
The "best of lenses" Gallery is meant as a gallery to post your best pictures with the lens, not to discuss a lens and it's possible problems.

Coming to your lens: this corner radial blur seems strange indeed.
I have had three different copies of this lens and none ever showed such a bokeh.
Since you have paid little money for this lens, my suggestion is to have it checked by Zeiss. It will cost, but the lens is worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the centre wasn't so sharp, I would say that one internal element has been reinserted the wrong way around.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hello Nixland
I have moved your post to the Manual Focus Lenses section.
The "best of lenses" Gallery is meant as a gallery to post your best pictures with the lens, not to discuss a lens and it's possible problems.

Coming to your lens: this corner radial blur seems strange indeed.
I have had three different copies of this lens and none ever showed such a bokeh.
Since you have paid little money for this lens, my suggestion is to have it checked by Zeiss. It will cost, but the lens is worth it.

Thanks Orio.
Sorry for starting discussion in "best of lenses" gallery. At first I just want to post my best shot, but my mistake to add discussion there Smile
And thanks for your suggestion.

Below is the photo of the lens and some sample shots.

LucisPictor wrote:
If the centre wasn't so sharp, I would say that one internal element has been reinserted the wrong way around.

Thanks for the suggestion LucisPictor.
The center is quite sharp as you can see in the sample below.

By the way if I extend the barrel of the lens at its maximum length (at its MFD) and I flip the lens up and down, I heard a 'click' sound as if something loose inside. But if I shortened the barrel (focus at infinity) the sound is gone.

At wide open

100% crop

This is at f/2 as I remember

100% crop

[/quote]

Last edited by nixland on Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is the bizzare OOF area at wide open .... radial blur Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to post new topic of comparison between this Distagon 35/1.4 and my Nikkor 35/1.4 Ais and Canon EF 35/1.4.
But since I suspect something wrong with this lens, I decide to cancel it Smile

Below are some comparison I have done.
All using manual focus including the Canon and I use live view with LCD viewfinder loupe.

The bokeh & sharpness at wide open.

NIKKOR 35/1.4 Ais

CONTAX CARL ZEISS DISTAGON 35/1.4

CANON EF 35/1.4 L

SHARPNESS (Distagon's focal length looks longer ? anyway I think it's sharp enough compare to Canon)

BOKEH

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you might have a loose element - re: the click. That would cause swirly bokeh when the element goes on a slant.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong, the bokeh looks very smooth to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

By the way if I extend the barrel of the lens at its maximum length (at its MFD) and I flip the lens up and down, I heard a 'click' sound as if something loose inside. But if I shortened the barrel (focus at infinity) the sound is gone.

I have figured what it is, and I'm afraid you won't like the answer, Nixland.
I'm 99% positive that the sound you hear when flipping the lens is the floating element that is... floating wrongly.
The Distagon 1.4/35 contains a floating element to optimize performance at all focal distances. That was Erhard Glatzel's invention and I think actually the 1.4/35 Distagon was the first lens ever to implement this feature (I am unsure between this and the Distagon 2/28 as being the first).
In any case, the optical defect is very obvious from the new samples that you posted, and it is surely caused by the floating element problem.

The lens requires professional fixing by Zeiss - it is really unlikely that a common repair man can fix it optimally, as the fine tuning of this element (to be done with dedicated precision instruments) is crucial for the performance of the lens.
I strongly suggest to send the lens to Zeiss in Oberkochen (contact them first), or, alternatively, to what used to be the official Contax importer/distributor in your country (also contact them prior to shipping).

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that at least the identification of the problem will help you to be on the right way to fix it.

_

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
nixland wrote:

I have figured what it is, and I'm afraid you won't like the answer, Nixland.
I'm 99% positive that the sound you hear when flipping the lens is the floating element that is... floating wrongly.
The Distagon 1.4/35 contains a floating element to optimize performance at all focal distances. That was Erhard Glatzel's invention and I think actually the 1.4/35 Distagon was the first lens ever to implement this feature (I am unsure between this and the Distagon 2/28 as being the first).
In any case, the optical defect is very obvious from the new samples that you posted, and it is surely caused by the floating element problem.

The lens requires professional fixing by Zeiss - it is really unlikely that a common repair man can fix it optimally, as the fine tuning of this element (to be done with dedicated precision instruments) is crucial for the performance of the lens.
I strongly suggest to send the lens to Zeiss in Oberkochen (contact them first), or, alternatively, to what used to be the official Contax importer/distributor in your country (also contact them prior to shipping).

Sorry for the bad news, but I hope that at least the identification of the problem will help you to be on the right way to fix it.

_

Oooo my goodness Shocked

I just contacted Zeiss Oberkochen and they reply that they dont do service for Contax Zeiss. They suggest the following free photo workshops in Germany :

http://www.tritec-service.de/

http://www.fototechnik-gerhardt.de/

I think I will take my lens to the local zeiss/leica lens service shop in Jakarta first just to check the problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I concur there is something clearly wrong with the lens, I would add that you should shoot a lot with it like that before you get it fixed, it's quite uncommon to see the IQ relatively unscathed (car shot) with such an obvious defect. It really seems to punch the 3Dness into overdrive, almost a hint of tilt.

K.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
While I concur there is something clearly wrong with the lens, I would add that you should shoot a lot with it like that before you get it fixed, it's quite uncommon to see the IQ relatively unscathed (car shot) with such an obvious defect. It really seems to punch the 3Dness into overdrive, almost a hint of tilt.
K.

The corner performance is terrible, I'd have it fixed as soon as possible. But I wonder how those independent repair services can fix it without the precision machines of Zeiss.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had such a problem with my MM
Germany could not fix it and send it to Japan
as nixland have a AE, it should be fixable in Germany

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All for the comments.

thePiRaTE!! wrote:

K.

OK. I'll find time tomorrow to do more test.

Orio wrote:

The corner performance is terrible, I'd have it fixed as soon as possible. But I wonder how those independent repair services can fix it without the precision machines of Zeiss.

poilu wrote:

May I know where did you get your lens fixed in Germany?
Or anybody knows any Contax service center in Japan?
Thanks again to you all.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Not all AE lenses were made in Germany. There were AEG, AEJ, MMG and MMJ types, so AE and MM were made in both countries (not for all lenses though). I've heard that MMJ is the only type that will be serviced by the manufacturer in Japan (by the Japanese division of Zeiss or Kyocera??) and AE probably only by 3rd parties.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For third parties, the best chance is to look for what used to be the local importer of the Contax lenses. They usually have dedicated equipment for Contax lenses and sometimes also spare parts.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was in 2007 and I think I was also redirected to tritec
at this time I was using a 400d, I checked my samples and they are good to excellent at 1.4
I was not happy with the borders wide open and I needed to close to f4 to make them right, but nothing so strange like your samples
in fact I send the lens because I could heard a moving screw inside and I was worry to make more damage

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, the official CONTAX service will stop its operation 2017 summer
until then you have still a chance to fix the lenses and cameras. Before that
time there might some parts shortage, but mechanical problem will be
easily fixable I think. They need more knowledge and skill than parts.